DVDVR Message Board

Rest in Peace to the legend, Dusty Rhodes

I'm just glad the pendulum had come all the way back around on Dusty BEFORE he passed. We start watching this nonsense, we grow up, we get more cynical and specific in our tastes, we dismiss our childhood until we eventually realize we were right all along.

• Like 4

I'm just glad the pendulum had come all the way back around on Dusty BEFORE he passed. We start watching this nonsense, we grow up, we get more cynical and specific in our tastes, we dismiss our childhood until we eventually realize we were right all along.

It's amazing that the smark hivemind was ever anti-Dusty. It just goes to show how much the MOVEZ~! movement took over people's thinking. 

• Like 2

If the internet was easily available in 1987 and 1988, it probably would have been all over Dusty the booker.

But this would be offset by all the people loving how his very existence proved Vince [whose booking they would also be all over] totally wrong (i.e. the biggest draw in the country is a fatso with a southern accent and a lisp).

It's amazing that the smark hivemind was ever anti-Dusty. It just goes to show how much the MOVEZ~! movement took over people's thinking. 

Most were anti-Dusty in that he used his booking power to keep himself on top, rather than the quality of his promos or his work.

Most were anti-Dusty in that he used his booking power to keep himself on top, rather than the quality of his promos or his work.

And now people have seen enough different places over different time to realize that's not a Dusty problem, that's a booker problem.

• Like 1

When I wanna be happy or am in a good mood, I think Dusty Rhodes. I can't say that about much else. Dusty was probably the most fun guy in wrestling ever and is a big inspiration to me. You could make Dusty do anything and it would be entertaining. I like to channel Dustyisms in my everyday life and I'm gonna miss the big guy. I know Dusty is out there somwhere, dancing away in the stars and making everyone smile. Dusty will never truly die because at least a part of his spirit stuck with me.

My favorite Dusty lines:

"THERE'S A WOH-MAN IN THE MENS JOHN!"

"I'll just stay with Miss A here because that's the easiest to pronounce because in Texas we don't have anyone named Cookie Yamasaka." - Dusty on Itsuki Yamazaki on the JWP Wrestlewar 1991 match

"Miki Handa just got kicked right there in her Honda" - Same match

"That's my girl, MISS A"

"HE'S GOT A BI-SA-CUL"

"I used to do that to my brother all the time" - Dusty on a hardcore match where a guy had a trashcan on his head and got hit with a bat

"Homie don't play no rock n roll" - Dusty on Teddy Long

"Submit or Surrender, this is the WAR GAMES"

"THAT'S A TOILET SEAT...He got a commode lid!"

"Doo doo is good for me, and doo doo, is good for you"

"He got some PLUNDAH"

This is how I want to remember Dusty:

c.gif

b.gif

dusty.gif

a.gif

• Like 1

When I wanna be happy or am in a good mood, I think Dusty Rhodes. I can't say that about much else. Dusty was probably the most fun guy in wrestling ever and is a big inspiration to me. You could make Dusty do anything and it would be entertaining. I like to channel Dustyisms in my everyday life and I'm gonna miss the big guy. I know Dusty is out there somwhere, dancing away in the stars and making everyone smile. Dusty will never truly die because at least a part of his spirit stuck with me.

I haven't even felt that sad the last few days since of course the more I watch and listen to footage of Dusty the more I can't help but smile. 

I'm not even sure wrestling fans love wrestling as much as Dusty Rhodes did.  Even when he was going for a metaphor on commentary that didn't quite make sense or his accent and lisp got hard to understand as he got more excited, his excitement was infectious.  Even if it was some squash leading off DA MUTHASHIP, he cared about what was going on and that made it matter a little bit more.  Something so often missing from the broadcasters.

I still can't roll my hands that fast.  And yes I still try to. :)

The more of these old Dusty promos I watch, it amuses me how much he was trying to compete with Ric Flair. In the one posted above, Dusty went on this rant about how he loves the night life more than the gym and making half a million dollars a year. That's exactly Ric Flair's chracter. Only difference is Dusty wasn't spending his money on gucci shoes and custom suits.

It was always weird when Dusty showed up wearing a suit or fur coat, instead of a skoal jacket and cowboy hat.

----

If i can pimp for a minute, the new episode of our podcast is a Dusty tribute featuring Jeff Marek from Sportsnet (formerly of the LAW), Mike Sempervive of Wrestling Observer Live and Matt D discussing Dusty (and some Stanley Cup talk too).

http://tinyurl.com/WinterEp03

I haven't even felt that sad the last few days since of course the more I watch and listen to footage of Dusty the more I can't help but smile.

I'm not even sure wrestling fans love wrestling as much as Dusty Rhodes did. Even when he was going for a metaphor on commentary that didn't quite make sense or his accent and lisp got hard to understand as he got more excited, his excitement was infectious. Even if it was some squash leading off DA MUTHASHIP, he cared about what was going on and that made it matter a little bit more. Something so often missing from the broadcasters.

I still can't roll my hands that fast. And yes I still try to. :)

The newspaper that I work at happened to have a few of his nieces reach out to us, and apparently they had pictures of Dusty at their graduations and also he used to do a lot of charity work in the Panhandle (Tally, PC, etc).

Which makes sense since I know Dusty and co. lived in Tallahassee for a while before moving back to Central Fla.

There was a period right when internet fandom for pro-wrestling was blowing up that had this idea that Dusty was an egomaniac booker and terrible worker. Dusty defended the "Dusty Finish", basically citing Eddie Graham as his influence and how he didn't invent the "Dusty Finish". Heck even DEAN had been a little critical of Dusty for lifting his promo style from other regional guys (namely Rufus R. Jones).

But dammit to me, Dusty always delivered. In the ring, on the promo mic and on the commentary mic. He knew he was there to entertain you and put his heart and soul in to everything he did. I think it was sometime after 2000 when people started remembering why they loved  Dusty. It was DEAN who pointed out to me that what Dusty did on the mic was straight up Heaven & Hell Baptist Preacher stuff and that is what  drew you into his ability as storyteller on the mic and a storyteller in the ring. His character was simple, he was fighting for you and me. Didn't matter if you didn't cheer him, he was still fighting the bad guys to remind you that standing up as a "Common Man" against those that would keep common people down was important.

I'm recently married and we are, of course, hoping  for children. If I can teach my children to always keep their heads because being common is nothing to be ashamed of, then that in turn kind of makes them extraordinary. If I can teach them that and it sinks in, then I'll gladly flash a "Million Dollar Smile" to Big Dust in thanks.  He'll get a picture on my mantle along with the picture of my father and the headmaster of my boarding school.

It will either sink in or one of them will get expelled from school and try and sneak back in to class doing a Midnight Rider gimmick. In the latter case, I just couldn't be angry at the kid.

James

• Like 7

People say Dusty booked himself on top, but I think if you look at the shows he really didn't. He was a featured part of the program, but a lot of the time he was working Arn or Tully or the Midnights. He had his runs with Flair, but no more than other perenial Flair challengers.

But if you had Dusty Rhodes on your roster, you would be a fool not to feature him. 

• Like 1

People say Dusty booked himself on top, but I think if you look at the shows he really didn't. He was a featured part of the program, but a lot of the time he was working Arn or Tully or the Midnights. He had his runs with Flair, but no more than other perenial Flair challengers.

But if you had Dusty Rhodes on your roster, you would be a fool not to feature him. 

I've always said that Vince was an idiot for booking Dusty as a midcarder during his brief time in the WWF. 

• Like 1

I've always said that Vince was an idiot for booking Dusty as a midcarder during his brief time in the WWF.

He was the #3 face right behind Hogan and Warrior and worked with three of the top heels in the company, how could have they booked him higher than that?

I think that Dusty also had that "fat guy who unironically called himself an athlete" niche. That's a big segment of the population; c'mon, admit it, don't more guys on this board tend to look like Dusty Rhodes in real life rather than Hulk Hogan? That's a powerful thing, being that person who succeeds in a looks-based industry despite being an ugly obese scarred-up circus-freak overall. He got over for similar reasons that got Mick Foley and Sandman over as babyfaces, because the fans at home could imagine being that guy.