DVDVR Message Board

Rest in Peace to the legend, Dusty Rhodes

Since I was traveling in transit I didn't really get to chime in.  The Exile on Badstreet covering the life and times of Dusty was really good.  I never really got to see prime Dusty, but man, that boy could cut a promo. I wasn't aware of the Dusty/Bill Watts heel team combo, I image the mouth of Dusty and the bully Bill Watts must have been a great combo.  I think I really started getting into Crockett around the time of the Midnights/Magnum/Dusty feud which seemed to be built around a lot of Corny vs. Dusty "Yo Momma" joke promos.  Dusty calling the action on THE MUTHASHIP became a guilty pleasure for the Dusty-isms and my great sympathy for the person who had to do the closed caption translation of what Dusty was saying.

I'm not sure when this happened, but I seem to recall Pete mentioning some PPV where Dusty was on commentary and the wrestlers bumped the announce table and I think Dusty goes "My courvoisier!  i mean my water!"

Somewhere in wrestling heaven, Dusty and Dicky are eating ice cream in daisy dukes and cut off shirts the horror of Jim Barnett.

WrestleWar 91 with Stan Hansen vs. Vader. Just awesome.

I'm not sure when this happened, but I seem to recall Pete mentioning some PPV where Dusty was on commentary and the wrestlers bumped the announce table and I think Dusty goes "My courvoisier!  i mean my water!"

I remember this - it was Vader vs. Stan Hansen at WrestleWar 1991.  Dusty was in heaven watching those two punch each other in the face.

I mean, so was I.  I'm just saying is all.

• Like 2

I just got a chance to watch the Dusty tribute on the Network. I'm not normally a tearful dude, but God damn, someone must have just let all the pollen in the world into my room there at the end. Awesome tribute, and an amazing career. Cool to see just how many people he touched. And Triple H breaking down like that, holy shit. Truly a touching moment

• Like 1

I just found a more complete version of the "Dusty/Dustin" promo:

It's one thing to hear the audio on WOL, but seeing it is another story.  There's so much pain on their faces, and it leading to the embrace and joy from the crowd is such an unforgettable moment.  I really hope many see this.  As much as "Hard Times" is shown lately, this should be right up there.

And watching the network special, the tributes at the end were so heavy.  He impacted a lot of people, and looking past his in-ring work/promos this is what will be his legacy.  Great special.

• Like 1

Reading the first part of Meltz' bio (I assume we'll get Part 2 after Part 2 of his Verne bio), Terry Funk blading his EYE against Dusty in the 70s is the nastiest fucking thing ever.

That eulogy was spectacular.  Reading it will definitely affect you, holy shit.  EDIT:  On second reading, yeah that really got to me.

Kind of humorous story.  I was at Panera last night and went into the men's restroom.  There was a female worker who was cleaning it and she left.  First thought in my mind was "THERE'S A WOH-MAN IN THE MENS JOHN!" and I couldn't help but laugh for some time.  I just loved his commentary, I wish the commentators nowadays had some form of personality.  Corino is amusing, as it JBL when allowed to be.  But a guy like Dusty would be wonderful.

• Like 1

So I finally watched the Dusty special on the Network

Fortunately my wife didn't question why I was crying at the desk

Side tangent

So they have the part from the HOF induction

Right as Cody is about to introduce Dusty - they show the crowd. One dude is asleep and one dude looks like he wants to kill himself

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2itu8o_wwe-hall-of-fame-2007-dusty-rhodes-induction-speech_sport

7:40 of the clip

I really want a gif of that because it cracked me up for some reason

• Like 1

One final 10 bell salute from his "NXT kids" at the latest NXT tapings

Owens trying not to cry his eyes out is heartbreaking.

So was Triple H barely keeping it together while having to make his speech. 

Wow, Cody's lisp is really pronounced in that clip. Did he get speech therapy or was he just hamming it up to play off of Dusty's lisp or something b/c it's not that bad now.

Renee Young is on Jericho's Podcast today and she talked about WWE sending her a speech therapist when she was hired because she was Canadian.  So it wouldn't surprise me if WWE sent Cody to one. 

Wow, Cody's lisp is really pronounced in that clip. Did he get speech therapy or was he just hamming it up to play off of Dusty's lisp or something b/c it's not that bad now.

I had a lisp until about age 10 before I got therapy for it. In high pressure situations where I'm nervous or when I get emotional, it will still come out occasionally. I chalked it up to just that.

Highspots just recently put up a Dusty Rhodes vs Jerry Lawler match from Legends Fest 2002 as part of USA Championship Wrestling.   The claim it is their first ever singles match.  The match itself was okay but the first half has great promos setting up the match.    Funny to see Dusty working heel in Nashville

Highspots just recently put up a Dusty Rhodes vs Jerry Lawler match from Legends Fest 2002 as part of USA Championship Wrestling.   The claim it is their first ever singles match.  The match itself was okay but the first half has great promos setting up the match.    Funny to see Dusty working heel in Nashville

They had previously wrestled in Memphis in 77. No clips of the match, but I did find one picture and a poster for one of their matches.

flashback611pic1.jpg

flashback611pic2.jpg

If they did any promos to hype it, I would pay big money to see him. Especially since Lawler would've been working heel against Dusty here.

Hey, I was there for the 2002 match. It was tons of fun, and all the old hardcores in the crowd just loved every second of it. Heel Dusty was a revelation, especially when he was going all sleazy-stalker on Lawler's valet.

And just to provide a lil' more content, here's a time when the King and the Dream tagged up against the Horsemen: