DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Lucy in color tonight was weird as fuck. It not only looks wrong in color but most importantly it looks terrible.

BBC America should be ashamed of themselves. They're airing a graphic saying everyone at BBCA is watching Mad Men and they're showing still photos of the cast. I don't think I've ever seen something like this, it's ridiculous.

I could swear Nick at Night's done this more than once, including the Seinfeld finale.

I know I've watched too much Masterchef when I can watch the first episode, where there's a cookoff to see who gets on the show, and call 90% of the winners before they've cooked anything.

I stopped watching after the first season, as I could tell it was fixed, and obviously so. 

It's gotten so much worse.  A few seasons ago, there was a partially/mostly/whatever blind woman on the show (it's debatable how blind she was but she did need help getting around) and I was like, "no way they're going to be so bald-faced pandering and at the same time cynical to actually book the blind girl to win."  And then they did.  I have no idea why I still watch, honestly.

Man, you guys are nuts; that blind girl was awesome!  Also, weird fact, the guy she beat to win that year, killed himself a year and a half ago with a self-inflicted gunshot wound after claiming that Gordon Ramsay had "possessed" him and turned him into "a God".  Why yes, he did have mental problems.

http://www.today.com/popculture/masterchef-runner-joshua-marks-commits-suicide-26-8C11391273

I'm looking forward to this season, especially after the first half of the premiere where they have the one woman who has no confidence and gets frazeled so easily that she COULDN'T REMEMBER WHAT SHE PUT IN HER DISH!?  And they still chose her over the other guy!  Man, the pressure test is gonna eat her alive...

WHOA. I was browsing Amazon Prime, and I saw that they've added JOHN FROM CINCINNATI to their HBO collection.

That's incredible! HBO hasn't even carried that on Go. I thought they buried that show in the same hole that had all those old E.T. games.

I'm a huge Milch fan, but I've never seen it, so this feels like stumbling across the Holy Grail on the way to the fridge.

I will forever hate that show, because its existence hastened the demise of Deadwood.

Yeah, but in the 1st episode somebody says THIS:

Don't we find so often our bodies are theaters of our resentments? Certainly since those childhood afternoons here with Mr. Rawlins in room 24, mine has hosted vaudevilles of degradation!

• Like 1

I feel like there needs to be some kind of critical re-evaluation of HALT AND CATCH FIRE.

It kinda got written off by critics and the public alike when it first came out and I only half-heartedly watched bits and pieces of it during that run, but after binge watching the whole 1st season over the weekend...this turned into a damn good show by the end.

I can't really fault people from overlooking it, I guess. The name is terrible, right up there with TERRIERS all-time in terms of abstract names sabotaging good shows. (Is it a show about firemen? Arsonists? Spontaneous human combustion? No, it's about computers in the 80's, silly!) And, on the surface, the premise seems both dry (they're gonna make a laptop!) and blatantly derivative of AMC's flagship dramas (Gordon Clark is a repressed genius; Joe MacMillan is a dapper, smooth-talking salesman with a secret, dark past who's prone to disappearing without warning). But the show does at times manage to make the business of creating a laptop both suspenseful and exhilarating, and it does gradually evolve into something more than "offbrand Walter White and Don Draper team-up," thanks in large part to a pair of really well done female characters who defy type and gradually rise to become almost-co-leads with the men.

The first 5 episodes are up and down in terms of quality, but starting in the sixth episode, it really starts to build, and by the time the gang loads up the station wagon and heads to COMDEX, I was 100% invested in seeing them succeed. I liked where the show ultimately left things, and now I suddenly find myself anticipating the 2nd season premiere this coming Sunday.

It doesn't have the plotting of BREAKING BAD, or find the poetry in the mundane like MAD MEN (and Don Draper would crush Joe MacMillan head-to-head for an account), but it is it's own thing and very worth your while if you can stick with it.

• Like 1

Halt and Catch Fire is very good. I felt much like you did. I also like how the show bucked against the trends set by other shows. I had this awful feeling that Gordon and his wife would have this long, drawn out splitting apart, but they went in a direction that so few shows do. Same with them actually finding success. It's rare to see that. I'm really excited to see what happens with season 2.

I also can't help but see or hear Ronan the Accuser any time Lee Pace is on screen.

I have so much quality film/tv to watch in my "I will watch that soon" pile that I thought this weekend would be the perfect weekend to get something off the list. Instead, I somehow roped myself into marathoning the final two seasons of Entourage. Well, I am happy to say that I finished that show, but these final few seasons proved to be atrocious outside of a few big Ari Gold laughs. 

I will now be one of the few suckers seeing what looks to be an awful film in theaters as well now. 

*Cues Jane's Addiction*