DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

I ultimately liked Halt and Catch Fire but I thought the weakest part, easy, was Gordon's Walter White-esque breakdown in the middle of the season. It would have been a much better show without that.

Oh, Gordon's multiple breakdowns bugged the shit out of me. I'm hoping this season is less of that. That was what I liked the least. It was like every episode, and sometimes multiple times an episode, he would flip from one state of being to the next. Dude was annoyingly bipolar. Now that he's tasted success, making up for the failed Symphonic, there's no reason for him to be a mopey little bitch this season.

Oddly enough, I did like it when he started seeing shit. I can't even explain why that gets a pass.

I liked Gordon the best when he would say fuck it and use his genius intellect to overcome whatever obstacle was in his way. Also, if they want to do the tortured genius thing, then just stick with how self-centered he can be when it comes to his wife. I'd much rather see a story about Gordon learning from his mistakes to become a better and more empathetic husband, with some slip ups here and there. And if there are those slip ups, I really hope they keep his wife as the understanding saint she wound up being at the end of the season. It bugs the shit out of me when a character on a show has one slip up and with the way the wife will act, you'd think the slip up was leaving the wife's mom to die in the desert.

Please, Elizium, more appropriate language:

The cocksucker can turn a fucking phrase, but I  guarantee as high as I can shit he used way fucking less cocksuckers in cocsucking John from cocksucking Cincinnati.

And then Dayton Callie shows up as Steady Freddy and drops this gem:

You're some blood-drinkin' cocksucker on sale for half a ham sandwich!

That ending for American Crime... sweet crap...

All the talk has been about Felicity Huffman but I barely hear about how amazing Tim Hutton is it. I think he more than anyone blew me away

It was a beautiful and brutal show.  Million billion stars for Tim Hutton.  I hope Hector gets his shit together.

My only bad mark for the show was the scene with Aubrey.that was so the ending of Brazil that it wasn't funny.

So, my girlfriend and I are still wondering about what Carter said to his sister that made her face go all crooked.  Given the nature of what he said to the church about being deserving of goodwill, I think he confessed to the murder.

Man, you guys are nuts; that blind girl was awesome!  Also, weird fact, the guy she beat to win that year, killed himself a year and a half ago with a self-inflicted gunshot wound after claiming that Gordon Ramsay had "possessed" him and turned him into "a God".  Why yes, he did have mental problems.

http://www.today.com/popculture/masterchef-runner-joshua-marks-commits-suicide-26-8C11391273

I'm looking forward to this season, especially after the first half of the premiere where they have the one woman who has no confidence and gets frazeled so easily that she COULDN'T REMEMBER WHAT SHE PUT IN HER DISH!?  And they still chose her over the other guy!  Man, the pressure test is gonna eat her alive...

I remember reading that about the guy who killed himself.  Stay on your meds, dudes.

I thought the blind girl was terrible once it was obvious she was going to actually win the thing.  I know shows like this are fixed but don't hit me over the fucking head with it.  I'm still pissed the stripper aerial dancer with the "little brother" who was obviously her secret son won last year.  She put salt in a desert instead of sugar.  God damn.

This year, the tatted-up hipster chick really seemed like she was right up their alley as far as who they let on the show, and she could cook, too.  But it was obvious she wouldn't make it when I realized her personality wasn't nearly as quirky as her look. 

The Goldbergs started over here a few weeks back and I'm pretty sure it's my new favourite sitcom. I figured it's got a Wonder Years vibe and Jeff Garlin is in it so I'll give it a watch but Garlin is maybe only the 4th best member of the family. They did a Goonies themed episode which had me sporting a stupid shit eating grin throughout and just now referenced the ghost in the window in Three Men and a Baby, the random urban myth I figured only people at my school 20 years ago knew about.

• Like 1

The Chris Gethard Show (ahem) debuts tomorrow night on the Fusion network. Abbi and Ilana from Broad City are the guests. I am obviously very partial but I was at the taping last night and it was insane in the best way possible. Salon talked up my brother big time in this piece.

• Like 1

Man, you guys are nuts; that blind girl was awesome!  Also, weird fact, the guy she beat to win that year, killed himself a year and a half ago with a self-inflicted gunshot wound after claiming that Gordon Ramsay had "possessed" him and turned him into "a God".  Why yes, he did have mental problems.

http://www.today.com/popculture/masterchef-runner-joshua-marks-commits-suicide-26-8C11391273

I'm looking forward to this season, especially after the first half of the premiere where they have the one woman who has no confidence and gets frazeled so easily that she COULDN'T REMEMBER WHAT SHE PUT IN HER DISH!?  And they still chose her over the other guy!  Man, the pressure test is gonna eat her alive...

I remember reading that about the guy who killed himself.  Stay on your meds, dudes.

I thought the blind girl was terrible once it was obvious she was going to actually win the thing.  I know shows like this are fixed but don't hit me over the fucking head with it.  I'm still pissed the stripper aerial dancer with the "little brother" who was obviously her secret son won last year.  She put salt in a desert instead of sugar.  God damn.

This year, the tatted-up hipster chick really seemed like she was right up their alley as far as who they let on the show, and she could cook, too.  But it was obvious she wouldn't make it when I realized her personality wasn't nearly as quirky as her look. 

Another cooking show that's almost as bad is Top Chef. The contestants are more talented, but when it comes to being fixed. . . . Let's just say the footage rarely justifies how the producers book it.

So, my girlfriend and I are still wondering about what Carter said to his sister that made her face go all crooked.  Given the nature of what he said to the church about being deserving of goodwill, I think he confessed to the murder.

Yeah, that is one of things that seems to make sense unless he finally called her by her Nation name (which would be pretty big because he refused to do that consistently when they would speak). But, yeah coughing up the truth to her about the murder would be one of those twists that would kind of be interesting. I really loved how this was a crime show that really wasn't a crime show because it was only tangentlly about the investigation and more about how the investigation affected the people involved that weren't the cops.

James

• Like 1

Oh man, I never even clued in that it was her son but that totally makes so much sense.  I disliked her immensely.  When I found out on Twitter that she'd won, I didn't even bother to watch the last episode.

Ramsay's hair is really weird this year.  Also, there seems to be a lot of single mothers "doing it for my son/daughter!" this year.  Now that the Emo Phillips-looking guy has gone home, I really hope Stephen and his insane facial expressions and reactions sticks around for a while.  Tonight there were at least three times when I rewound it because of him, especially when the new chef said "I like your apple mixture" and he shouted "What!" for no reason.

I already really dislike the latino woman with the pink in her hair who feels the need to overreact to everything that's said (Nodding knowingly, making overexaggerated shocked faces, and I see that next week she's crying again).

Holy shit Ramsay's hair!  I couldn't get over that last night.  He looked like Egon from the Ghostbusters cartoon.

I can't stand the chubby girl from Minnesota or wherever who has no confidence.  There's always one sad sack like this every season.  They're never booked to win but they do make it long enough so that when they are eliminated, they can record an exit interview where they tell us how the show helped them build their confidence to follow their dreams.  It's ridiculous.

Unlike previous seasons, there's nobody I outright hate yet, just mild dislike here and there. You're exactly right about the Latino woman who acted like getting the apple was the best thing that ever happened to her.  I like Stephen a lot, as well, but no way he'll win it.

I have no opinion on the new host, what about you?  She's pretty bland so far and maybe it'll take a few episodes for her to find some sort of character.  I did find it a bit douchy how she made sure she  mentioned how "difficult" her deserts were.  I'm really glad Joe is gone, though.  Ramsay and Elliott are actual chefs who built their careers.  Joe was a restaurant owner, not a cook, who got where he is because his mother was famous.  He was such an ass to everyone on the show (except pretty girls) and his assholishness was absolutely unearned.  He also did that thing that drives me up the wall, where Italian guys born in the US overpronounce every Italian word they come across.  Holy shit it's annoying.  "Manna-gots," "moot-sa-lell."  Horrible.

Holy shit Ramsay's hair!  I couldn't get over that last night.  He looked like Egon from the Ghostbusters cartoon.

I can't stand the chubby girl from Minnesota or wherever who has no confidence.  There's always one sad sack like this every season.  They're never booked to win but they do make it long enough so that when they are eliminated, they can record an exit interview where they tell us how the show helped them build their confidence to follow their dreams.  It's ridiculous.

Unlike previous seasons, there's nobody I outright hate yet, just mild dislike here and there. You're exactly right about the Latino woman who acted like getting the apple was the best thing that ever happened to her.  I like Stephen a lot, as well, but no way he'll win it.

I have no opinion on the new host, what about you?  She's pretty bland so far and maybe it'll take a few episodes for her to find some sort of character.  I did find it a bit douchy how she made sure she  mentioned how "difficult" her deserts were.  I'm really glad Joe is gone, though.  Ramsay and Elliott are actual chefs who built their careers.  Joe was a restaurant owner, not a cook, who got where he is because his mother was famous.  He was such an ass to everyone on the show (except pretty girls) and his assholishness was absolutely unearned.  He also did that thing that drives me up the wall, where Italian guys born in the US overpronounce every Italian word they come across.  Holy shit it's annoying.  "Manna-gots," "moot-sa-lell."  Horrible.

I find the new host speaks only in sound-bites: "What do you think about this challenge?" "I am so excited to watch these competitors compete to be the new Master Chef!"  She really doesn't have much of a personality yet.  What was weird about Joe was he would absolutely destroy people on here, but he was the sweetest and nicest dealing with the little kids on Master Chef Jr.  It was completely bizarre.  Is he gone for good, btw?  They aired what sounded like a little potshot last night when the one competitor said "Now with Chef Tosi here, the competition has stepped up to the next level!"

Good point about her only speaking in soundbites.  I think she's taking a point from Ramsay.. Dude has been doing TV so long he speaks in such a way that perfectly lends itself to editing.  He...SPEAKS...with all these....weird....PAUSES....and....ODD WORD STRESS...that's so unnatural it's almost Shatneresque.  But an editor could take his sentences apart, put them back together, put in looped dialog from a later session, etc and it would just sound normal.  Speaking of, every single time the camera is not in the person who is currently talking, or it's a wide shot, it's so obvious the dialog is being ADR'd in. 

I'm not sure if Joe is gone for good but I kind of hope so.

Greggulator.

Explain this.

0.jpg

Check the Land of Confusion thread about it, too.

Real talk. I was thinking about the show the other day and wondered, there has got to be someway we can get a Kickstarter for a remake of Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego. I mean if Reading Rainbow can get one, and geography skills amongst 10-14 year olds are at an all time low there's no way this show shouldn't be brought back for kids.

I was just watching The Nightly Show and of all people, Bobby Cannavale showed up as a Dirty Harry-themed actor complaining about the new limits on Cleveland police messing with his film series, Louis Cannon. The veins on his neck standing out as he yells are like high tension wires. 

EDIT: Oh man, I just saw Ron Reagan do a commercial for the Freedom from Religion Foundation. "Ron Reagan -- livelong atheist -- not afraid of burning in Hell." I lol'ed so loud at that.

Greggulator.

Explain this.

0.jpg

Check the Land of Confusion thread about it, too.

Real talk. I was thinking about the show the other day and wondered, there has got to be someway we can get a Kickstarter for a remake of Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego. I mean if Reading Rainbow can get one, and geography skills amongst 10-14 year olds are at an all time low there's no way this show shouldn't be brought back for kids.

There was talk of PBS re-airing old episodes in hopes to spur a new show. It would be great if they did. It was a really good, well-done show with a fun educational component. TV and the other ways we consume media really need to get incorporated into lesson plans these days.

San Andreas is doing good numbers too.

It's probably just the wrestling fan thing, but it pleases me to see the Rock becoming a fully-fledged movie icon.

Now he just has to join Scientology, star in a Woody Allen film and marry Jennifer Aniston for the transformation to be complete.

Edit: Or Jennifer Lopez, if Jennifer Aniston isn't available.