DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

ABC released their fall schedule:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/12/abc-fall-schedule

Not too much new.  ABC didn't cancel many shows so most nights stay mostly the same.  Somewhat interested in Quantico.  Agent Carter will return at midseason and be set in LA.

The Muppets are back, which is the good news.  The hook of the show is that it's a "docu-soap" style show which goes behind the scenes into the characters private lives.  Uh, huh. That sounds absurd.  Maybe it's a plot by Fox to distract us from how badly they rape the Lucifer concept.

Also, Stana Katic signed a new contract so she'll return to Castle next year.  And the president of ABC said the SHIELD spinoff died in part because the felt adding new characters helped the show reach its creative stride and they didn't want to remove those characters for the spinoff.  (translation: we still haven't figured out how to make Coulson and his scoobies interesting).

Kalinda the investigator is the most bizarre CSI Miami thing to shoehorn into that show.  I hate every scene she's in. 

At one point, on SUITS, I think in the pilot they basically laid out the formula for courtroom shows as a job pitch:

"It's easy.  You make a move. They make a move.  You go back and forth until it's time for someone to win."

It's basically the same formula as HOUSE.  Only it's plaintiff vs. defendant instead of needy family vs. death.

• Like 1

The police procedural thing is kind of old anyway.

In the current climate, it seems even less wise.

Not a lot of people are crazy about the police right now, let's be honest. Making Supergirl a policewoman seems kind of silly.

Kalinda the investigator is the most bizarre CSI Miami thing to shoehorn into that show.  I hate every scene she's in. 

Her character is so horribly written.  "Oh, she's a tough, strong, no-nonsense woman?  Let's make her a lesbian or at least bi."  Oh big 4 network TV written for lowest common denominator middle America, don't ever change.

TV writers confuse "tough and no-nonsense" with "well-written."

Carmella Soprano was one of the best written, most morally ambigious female characters ever. And she was actually a weird, compelling mix of strong and weak.

• Like 1

I'm guessing bad.  Hope I'm wrong, though.

Re: CSI, last batch of articles I saw indicated it probably wouldn't get canceled outright.  The other options being thrown around were tv movie, 13 episode short season, or 4 episode season + a tv movie.  CBS supposedly wants to lure William Petersen back for the finale episodes.  Personally, I'd prefer they just cancel it.  The Gig Harbor Killler stuff was atrocious and the show has been fairly bad in general since Petersen left.  Also, George Eads left the show, Ted Danson joined Fargo, and Elisabeth Shue apparently isn't under contract for next year, so.....

Other thing that came out of ABC's presentation is that American Crime will return for season 2, but they will do a complete reboot.  New murder, new characters.  Some of the actors will return, but in different roles.  I'm ok with that so long as Felicity Huffman and Timothy Hutton stay on my tv.

I remember it being very reactionary to pop culture instead of being weird and in front of stuff like the Muppet Show, and there were too many Poochie-esque new characters. Also, not enough Kermit.

It can't be any worse than Muppets Tonight. I'm in. I can't wait for my kid to be old enough to ask me what a Muppet is. "It's not a mop, and it's not a puppet, but man! ..."

We've got the first three seasons of the muppet show and my almost-3 year old can do a whole mahna mahna routine with me. 

They say this thing is going to be all ages but it doesn't feel that way to me. It feels a bit more "low hanging fruit."

• Like 1