DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

IMO, after season ten, they should have done the Daria thing where Bart, Lisa and Maggie actually got older as the show progressed.

It would have opened up a lot more interesting storylines.

That is a terrible idea.

Worse than the last 15 years?

Slacker college kid Bart would have been intriguing. 

A million times worse because there has been nothing wrong with the show. Millions of people still love it and only a very tiny minority dislike it. 

Its like saying "How can we improve on the wheeel? I know, lets give it corners."

My question is who's actually watching it now? I assume there's a lot of people like me who loved it until season 8 or 9 and then slowly let it slip out of their life. I don't know how many younger fans it's picked up. Is it like Raw where people watch it out of habit or to complain?

During the marathon, I was really surprised how a lot of that episodes from the last two or three years were actually quite good.

Those late teen seasons... If there are some highlight episodes, I sure didn't catch them.

I started watching The Simpsons when it began, and I remember at the time I was a year younger than Bart was.  Somewhere I saw the statistic that people who started watching The Simpsons when they were Bart's age will be Homer's age by the end of the current scheduled amount of seasons (even though they've retconned Homer and Marge's ages several times).  Now it's kind of like the WWE in that I watch it out of a sense of habit more than anything else, even though these days I often watch something else on Sunday nights instead and eventually catch up on Hulu.  It hasn't been good in years, but a while back there was a brief run of actually decent episodes. 

They really started loosing my interest when-
-They tried too hard to shoehorn political or hot button current events into episodes and did nowhere near as good a job as South Park or other shows.
-The celebrity cameos were good when they were voicing a new character, but when they kept bringing in people to play themselves it just kept getting awful (the lady gaga episode is a prime example).
-Too many Homer-centric episodes, especially when he got increasingly stupid. Each season needed to have at least one episode where he does something really dumb and almost makes Marge want to leave, but they get back together somehow.

King of the Hill is the only Fox animated show I want to see more of.

During the marathon, I was really surprised how a lot of that episodes from the last two or three years were actually quite good.

I'm too lazy to dig up the thread, but I remember the discussion of the FXX marathon being that the last several years have been funnier than they're given credit for.  That's my impression.  I'm not a huge fan of the show - now or 20 years ago - but I generally find it amusing when I catch eps on FXX.

-The celebrity cameos were good when they were voicing a new character, but when they kept bringing in people to play themselves it just kept getting awful (the lady gaga episode is a prime example).

I caught this during a mini marathon last week, it was so bad I had to google it. Turns out it was voted worst episode, which was the result I expected.

Woman in a wheelchair won a treadmill on The Price is Right

This is nearly as funny as the big deal in Baltimore where the 87 year old lady won $5K a week for life from a scratcher.

I believe a black woman won a tanning bed on a game show years ago--I'm thinking The Price is Right is guilty on that one.

I thought that happened on Let's Make A Deal during the Big Deal?  I seem to recall Wayne Brady being visibly mortified when Door #2 opened.

The trailer for Netflix's new series, Sense8.

J. Michael Straczynski and the Wachowski Siblings are the co-creators!  Be excited or afraid as you see fit.

• Like 1

Wachowskis seem like they have become increasingly unable to manage projects with huge budgets.  Maybe small screen will help them recover their first Matrix movie form?

Until now, The Wachowskis have been M. Night Shyamalan, except Hollywood wised up faster to Shyamalan with regard to giving him huge budgets thinking he'll strike gold again.

I guess they finally got enough rope to hang themselves with with Jupiter Ascending and now they're stuck making TV for a streaming service.  Sounds about right.  Everything finds its equilibrium and the universe corrects itself eventually.

I just watched Bound recently. It's by no means a masterpiece, but it's really sound and it was made for like four million dollars. I don't know why the Wachowskis don't just churn out a couple solid thrillers on modest budgets to get back in the swing of things.

I don't know that I'd want to go to court and defend Speed Racer as being "good",but it's got a kooky visual style that's unique and I enjoyed it.  I do tend to sit there thinking to myself "So this is what you thought the studio wanted when they gave you a few hundred million to play with?  Really?  That's what you thought?"

News from TV

The Mindy Project officially got cancelled. Unconfirmed reports The Following is too.

Izombie has been renewed

CBS ordered the Supergirl series

I really liked Mindy, even if it never quite figured out what it wanted to be and had a very annoying supporting cast. Rumors are swirling about Hulu picking it up, though I'd rather netflix did. Galavant renewed by ABC. . . 

So wait we have already reached the point where doing Netfix shows is slumming it?

Well from the point of view of guys that are used to big bloated hollywood budgets, I would think any tv(not HBO) would be viewed as a step down. . . 

Wait... didn't Netflix out bid HBO for House of Cards?

They might not match HBO and the big screen in quality just yet, but i'm sure they are spending.  Have you seen Netflix stock lately?

It's funny when people who never saw the earlier episodes always comment how it's all been a homer-centric show not knowing early on it was all about Bart most of the time.

A cursory glace of the first three seasons shows Homer being a central or featured character in most episodes.