DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

According to the producers, the characters are going to continue. Someone else will be voicing them.

Smile_time_variety_hour.jpg

EVEYRHTING"S TOTALLY THE SMAE RVERYBODY!!!!

I'm reminded of the bit from Roseanne where they showed DJ going mental, saying "They say she's the same but she's not the same" over and over - as they played clips of two different actresses who played Becky. Thought that was hysterical.

Identical Beckys is one of my all time favorite sitcom gags.

Rick and Morty of Adult Swim got to do the couch gag for the season finale of The Simpsons, coming this Sunday.  

Lord almighty.  You give the couch gag 2+ FUCKING minutes?  That's literally 10% of the show you just vaporized. Also, it's from a show with roughly 1/6 the audience of your show, if that. Also, it's from a show that's funnier than yours.  

So glad I tapped out years ago. 

The trailer for The Family, while very, very good, does reinforce a pet peeve I have: networks forcing British actors to do bad American accents.

Is there ANY reason Rupert Graves' character can't be British? It doesn't seem necessary AT ALL to the storyline for him to be American. British people can emigrate to America and start families, you know.

Last night's Elementary was very affecting.  Great ep built around Sherlock having to contemplate giving into his drug addiction for a noble reason.

And I say that as someone who was basically disinterested in this season.

I'm probably the only one on this board watching, but the Grimm season finale is tonight and I'm expecting an absolute bloodbath considering what happened last week. Can't wait!

Last night's Elementary was very affecting.  Great ep built around Sherlock having to contemplate giving into his drug addiction for a noble reason.

And I say that as someone who was basically disinterested in this season.

Yeah, it was a good episode.

I think season 4 might be the last season (ratings have been shit and it only got renewed due to syndication economics) so I'm wondering if they're going to drop the procedural stuff and cram in Moriarty's return, finally seeing Sherlock's father and the reichenbach fall.

Or CBS could just stick it on Friday nights where they'll be happy with it getting 1.1s and keep it going for a few more years. They do own it so it has that in it's favor.

I'm probably the only one on this board watching, but the Grimm season finale is tonight and I'm expecting an absolute bloodbath considering what happened last week. Can't wait!

You're not alone. I'm just wondering if they will follow through and kill off Juliet.

I'm not much of a fan, but I'm been watching lately.  KInda curious to see where they go with the Juliet stuff.

Watched the Blacklist a bit ago.  Not sure what to think of the finale.  If they actually follow through on the setup, they've changed the game and done something unexpected.  I hope they run with the new setup.  I kinda expect this to be your typical season ending cliffhanger and they'll restore the status quo in September.  I expect Red has enough influence to get Liz a deal similar to his and put her back with the FBI.

I kinda lol'ed at how they wrapped up Harold's illness.  I guessed the reveal months ago, not because the show hinted at it in any way, but because it seemed like the easiest way to resolve the plotline.  Either the actor was going to be written off the show, or he was going to have to be cured somehow.

That ending for American Crime... sweet crap...

All the talk has been about Felicity Huffman but I barely hear about how amazing Tim Hutton is it. I think he more than anyone blew me away

James

I was watching a recent Blue Bloods episode and a black dude framed Donnie Wahlberg for POLICE BRUTALITY~! and it turned out there was this whole elaborate conspiracy in place to make Donnie look bad. But it was OK because Tom Selleck and his mustache sorted it all out by the end. I like Blue Bloods and all, and think it's a better-than-average cop show, but if this is their approach to all the stuff going on right now, it might just be better to avoid the subject entirely.  It felt like propaganda. It was borderline cringeworthy.

Also: I generally question making the Reagans these scrappy underdogs when they're arguably one of the most powerful families in NYC.

• Like 1

Other thing that came out of ABC's presentation is that American Crime will return for season 2, but they will do a complete reboot. New murder, new characters. Some of the actors will return, but in different roles. I'm ok with that so long as Felicity Huffman and Timothy Hutton stay on my tv.

That's great news.

Watched the finale last night and it rocked. Took a couple episodes to get rolling, I think, but ended up being a great show. I'll be curious to see who they get next year. Hutton and Huffman were ridiculously great in this show. I like that they're going to stick with the premise but change the entire cast and story. Keeps things tight and you don't have to have big crimes involve the same people over and over.

I was watching a recent Blue Bloods episode and a black dude framed Donnie Wahlberg for POLICE BRUTALITY~! and it turned out there was this whole elaborate conspiracy in place to make Donnie look bad. But it was OK because Tom Selleck and his mustache sorted it all out by the end. I like Blue Bloods and all, and think it's a better-than-average cop show, but if this is their approach to all the stuff going on right now, it might just be better to avoid the subject entirely.  It felt like propaganda. It was borderline cringeworthy.

Also: I generally question making the Reagans these scrappy underdogs when they're arguably one of the most powerful families in NYC.

There was an insane episode of the old DRAGNET t.v. show like this. Like, I know Jack Webb was checked out, but it's kind of astounding to watch...which you can on Hulu if you're willing to sit through a commercial:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7mik4_dragnet-the-big-problem_shortfilms

If I'm a TV writer for a cop programme I can think of few ways to handle the whole "police brutality" stuff right now with some tact and diplomacy. Like maybe on Blue Bloods there really is a racist cop who abuses his power (not Donnie Walhberg since he's too cool, obv) but then at the end he's caught and punished and Selleck's mustache is all outraged.

Which gets across the point: Yes, this happens, but it's not everyone and most cops are good guys (which I think is close to the truth.)

The idea however that you would seriously suggest that this is all just minorities being paranoid and hateful and engaging in vast conspiracies to ruin innocent cops' lives is, just, well, baffling, really.  They did another episode a while ago where a cop was accused of shooting an unarmed black kid but then it turned out the old Hispanic lady who owned a nearby store tampered with evidence and threw the kid's gun away because SHE HATED THE POLICE SO DAMN MUCH~! Really.

Man, I thought CBS was supposed to be safe and bland. 

• Like 1

Presumably, the demographics for blue blood are mostly the people who do think its all the minorities and liberals fault.

Yeah, but those are the same ones who watch NCIS and CSI and even those were shows have never been absurd enough to say racism doesn't exist. You used to have Horatio Caine lecturing press people for only caring about missing white women.

Presumably, the demographics for blue blood are mostly the people who do think its all the minorities and liberals fault.

Yeah, but those are the same ones who watch NCIS and CSI and even those were shows have never been absurd enough to say racism doesn't exist. You used to have Horatio Caine lecturing press people for only caring about missing white women.

Generally, though CSI: MIAMI was a shockingly throwback and conservative show.  It was totally out of step with the anti-hero shades of grey crime stuff that defined the 2000s.  Horatio Caine was essentially the perfect, incorruptible superhuman who passed moral judgement on everyone around him.  All who committed any violation of law were essentially evil to their core.

It was 50s-era tv Superman type stuff.  All the more weird given the juxtaposition of that attitude with the constant titillation and gore.  That show has a lot of 2000-s era American Neurosis in it.

It was also wonderfully colourful.  The cinematography was so bright and vibrant.  My dad said that if he had a store that sold HD-TVs (Back when HD was a new thing you had to talk people into buying) he would leave it on CSI Miami all the time to show off how good everything looked.

Speaking of the well past its expiration date CSI, looks like they're going to do a 2 hour finale in September with the original cast members. They're also going to send Ted Danson's skeleton over to CSI Cyber. If only they could send some good writers over there too.

The wife and I have watched an absurd amount of Scandal this weekend.  Just got the first three seasons on DVD.  Neither one of us watched the show at all until late season 3, so this is all new to us.  I was stunned to learn Quinn isn't really Quinn.

I'm kinda looking forward to seeing how Joe Morton gets introduced, and the stuff with Olivia's mother, but, honestly, season 4 has burned me out on B613.  I think I like the show better when it revolves around Olivia's job, not the absurd black ops stuff.

Also, Huck is the worst babyface since necrophiliac rapist Kane.

I understand why CBS runs colorized versions of these Lucy reruns, but at the same time anyone watching a show where the celebrity guest is William Holden wouldn't care or would rather watch it in B&W.