DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Well, last night was the end of Revenge. Although it was not nearly as good as it was during the first season, I must commend the showrunners for managing to make it last as long as they did given the premise. And there were some solid episodes nestled in the WTF that was seasons 2-4. Having said that, I thought the finale was decent and ended up as good as they could get. I still believe last season's finale should have been the end though. 

I only started watching last season when my daughter got me into it.  I lost interest in these last four or five eps when Emily Thorne became a full-on babyface.  Her "heel-who-thinks-she's-a-babyface" routine was rather entertaining.

Haven't seen the first 2+ seasons.  Going to pick up the first 3 seasons on DVD for my daughter, so I'll probably marathon the show this summer (along with Scandal and Once Upon a Time, two other series I just started watching recently).

I like that Blindspot and The Player seem to rely simply on having the most creative bad guys possible. Like, hey, I'm going to BLOW UP THE STATUE OF LIBERTY~! but also give the FBI guy the chance to stop it if he can decipher the cryptic clues I left on this beautiful, heavily tattooed ninja amnesiac. Or killing a guy's wife then challenging him to stop crimes all so I can win bets with all my zillionaire friends.

I don't know, I guess if I was a supervillain, I'd probably try some wacky stuff too.

The Player sounds like something Denny O'Neill would come up with.  When he was writing Batman in the 1970's, noone ever bothered to try to just kill Batman WHEN THEY COULD KNOCK HIM OUT INSTEAD AND TRAP HIM INSIDE A GIANT PINBALL MACHINE.

Batman would have been canceled in the 70's if the Joker had just bothered to buy a long, sharp knife.

THE PLAYER actually looks decent. I can kinda see how the concept could sustain itself over the course of a series.

BLINDSPOT, on the other hand, looks like a terrible example of the sort of "high concept drama" that all the networks (besides CBS) have been chasing ever since LOST. Like, once you catch the guy who did the tattoos...that's pretty much it, right? And how long can you really drag that out before people stop caring?

Fox supposedly has announced that there will be one more season of American Idol (Season 15) and then it is done

This is confirmed now.

THE PLAYER actually looks decent. I can kinda see how the concept could sustain itself over the course of a series.

BLINDSPOT, on the other hand, looks like a terrible example of the sort of "high concept drama" that all the networks (besides CBS) have been chasing ever since LOST. Like, once you catch the guy who did the tattoos...that's pretty much it, right? And how long can you really drag that out before people stop caring?

Eh, they got four seasons out of Revenge.

The Player is a manly show that manly men will watch. For the manliness.

Of course, a network(FOX) would turn Mike Carey's Lucifer into a police procedural "WITH A TWIST"!

These tv adaptations of comic series are very hit and miss.  Okay, way more misses than hits, from my point of view.

Well, last night was the end of Revenge. Although it was not nearly as good as it was during the first season, I must commend the showrunners for managing to make it last as long as they did given the premise. And there were some solid episodes nestled in the WTF that was seasons 2-4. Having said that, I thought the finale was decent and ended up as good as they could get. I still believe last season's finale should have been the end though. 

I started watching the show from the beginning and really dug it, but am really surprised they kept it around this long.  From the onset it seemed like they had a fixed narrative in mind that would wrap up within a season, or two at the most.  When it was clear they were going to get a third season out of it I started to wonder if it was going to be one of those shows where they had to rebook everything due to demand for more episodes.  Towards the end it started getting more and more far-fetched and, much like Orphan Black is getting, just about everyone learned the main character's "secret" to the point where it hardly felt like a secret anymore.  I like the show as a whole and the end didn't let me down, but the fourth season came across as really tacked on.

I thought the fourth season was mostly a return to form. Last few episodes have been great and I thought the finale was very good.

But it should've ended after season three.

Apparently Constantine might end up on CW if they can figure out some details.

And, yeah, this EVERYTHING HAS TO BE A POLICE PROCEDURAL thing is annoying.  

Pretty sure if Lost had been on CBS or Fox they'd have tried to get Jack and Sawyer teaming up to solve murders every week.

I don't think it helps Sleepy Hollow that they've put it such a difficult time slot.

IMO, it feels like Fox kinda wanted to cancel it (and the ratings did tank in season 2) but whether it was politics or not wanting to cancel so many shows or whatever they didn't want to outright axe it so are just doing this and letting it takes its natural course. Season 3 will be the last season, I think.

They should have spun off that parallel world with Sawyer and Miles as cops.

I think it was someone on here who said there needed to be a spinoff featuring Hurley, Sawyer, Jin and the dog driving around in the beat up Dharma van solving mysteries.

NBC: "The world needs WAY more shows about busy businesswomen trying to have a good business life and a personal life!"

Also, her boyfriend is kind of a dick if he doesn't realize TRANSPLANTING HEARTS when you're only one of five people in the world who can do the actual operation and saving lives should come before some shitty date at the opera.

Dude, come on. Priorities.

And, yeah, this EVERYTHING HAS TO BE A POLICE PROCEDURAL thing is annoying.  

THIS.  My wife and I started watching The Good Wife (not sure how long that's going to last; it's getting tiresome already) and it's insane.  It's like the writers figured courtroom drama and political intrigue wouldn't be enough, so they glommed a halfass investigation element on top of all that.  It's fucking ridiculous.  I worked for a law firm for a few years and I don't remember them having an in-house investigator or their lawyers investigating crimes/gathering evidence related to the cases they're defending.  UGH so stupid.