DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I can't complain, it's a start. I don't mind what little I've seen of Saxton on NXT and Main Event.

At the end of the day, I wonder if it's really even worth complaining about who is or isn't in the booth, since I get the impression they're micromanaged to death. The fake enthusiasm just kills it for me, man. And I don't mean fake in the work sense, I mean fake like the guys sound like they'd rather be doing anything else, anywhere else, with anyone else. Hopefully this is a change for the positive and a sign that WWE is cognizant of the fact that everyone, from kids to casual fans to guys like us, can agree commentary can be an issue at times.

from WWE.com: Starting next week Booker replaces Lawler permanently on RAW with Cole & JBL while Lawler moves to Smackdown with Cole & Byron Saxton. PPVs will remain Cole/JBL/Lawler.

I'm ok with that Its refrashing and King on Smackdown is great cuz who really watches Smackdown anymore?

from WWE.com: Starting next week Booker replaces Lawler permanently on RAW with Cole & JBL while Lawler moves to Smackdown with Cole & Byron Saxton. PPVs will remain Cole/JBL/Lawler.

I'm ok with that Its refrashing and King on Smackdown is great cuz who really watches Smackdown anymore?

Lawler hasn't in years.

People are mad at WWE for a lot of things, but they should be most pissed off at not giving us a one-night Lawler title reign while still keeping him on commentary all these years. For fuck's sake, throw us a bone, give us a reason he's still around before the heart attack...

I presume you would at least keep him on a legends deal if/when they get the memphis library.

They'd likely get more of the Memphis library from ioffer than either Jerry Lawler or Jerry Jarrett. I'm not sure how much they kept or what happened to any masters that they did keep after the really ugly sale in 1997.

So glad they're phasing Lawler out. Either he clearly doesn't care about being there anymore or he's gone completely senile. Totally agree with whoever said Booker is of the Dusty or Tazz mold of announcers who aren't technically good, but their legitimate enthusiasm and inane ramblings make them more enjoyable to listen to. During the ambulance match this week, Booker was in top form with "The worse off [Dean Ambrose] is, the better he is" and something about stand your ground laws that made even less sense than the other quote.

If they had the balls to crush JBL's male ego and replace him with Renee Young, the commentary might actually be not un-listen-to-able for the first time in years.

I hate to say this because 1. People will assume I'm being sexist 2. I think she is a great backstage interviewer and panel host but...Renee Young is awful at announcing. If you ding Cole/Phillips for fake enthusiasm you have to get Renee for it too. Nothing that comes out of her mouth while announcing a match sounds sincere. I think she'd be a fairly significant downgrade replacing JBL and I pretty much hate the "He's the Great Gazoo MyGull!" Version of JBL we get each week.

• Like 2

"I'm sorry for your loss, please come tonight and see my nana wrestle."

Absolutely fucking amazing. I would've passed on TNA for this show also if I were WGN. The old lady wrestling in the Captain America outfit is so going to be Leva Bates in 25 years.

• Like 1

I think it largely depends on who's producing the announcers. I don't know if I've heard her call any main show stuff, but she's always been decent to good in NXT when she's in the booth.

Can we all just agree that Alex Riley is completely fucking insane (based off his Twitter) and sucks on commentary? Future Endeavor that man, now.

I think it would be even better if WWE went with two totally different teams for the two shows:

Smackdown: Saxton, JBL, Lawler

Raw: Cole, Booker T, Stevie Ray

Stevie Ray still has two of my favourite calls ever on WCW TV: the time he was interviewing Lex Luger on Thunder and said something along the lines of "Ten thousand people are sitting at home watching you" at which point, Tony Schiavone, obviously getting shit from someone in the back to cover goes "Yeah, ten thousand...in one house maybe!" and when he used to call the WCW valets "Yaks" and one night Tygress did a bronco buster and Stevie Ray SCREAMED into the mic: Faceful of Yak! Faceful of Yak! Faceful of Yak! Don't strike back!" and Tony Schiavone just burst into laughter.

Michael Cole trying to talk over Booker and Stevie would make Raws must-watch.

• Like 4