DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Dusty Rhodes terrible though is different from Todd Grisham or Todd Pettengill terrible. They're both technically bad but the former is a hell of a lot of fun to listen to while the latter makes you want to deafen yourself so you never have to hear it again. 

Yeah, exactly. I mean, sure, his commentary is fun, in a way. Not denying that. It can get pretty old real quick, however. But it's not what I want out of a commentator when I'm trying to focus on the story in the ring.

If I were promoting a card full of terrible matches though, I'd hire Dusty to do color. I wouldn't want him calling Flair/Steamboat but he's golden on matches that are too bad to watch on their own. 

You might have just explained the appeal of Dusty Rhodes commentary to me, I suppose.

Putting him on color for matches like Benoit/Sullivan, though... nah, man. Wrong call. Hate filled feud... "THEY'RE IN DA LADIES ROOM~!". No thanks.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I like me some early 90s WCW, but even the most ardent fan of that era has to admit the overall presentation left a LOT to be desired. That is not a knock on the guys or the match quality, it's just an observation-- but that might be because I was a WWF kid at that time.

Honestly, I find the presentation charming. Not "big time" by our standards, but then again, that sort of presentation is grating at this point. 

Pissed off I'm still on like quota lockdown from yesterday. I feel like I know what you're getting at and I think I 99% agree with you, but to me, that WCW era suffers from the same thing TNA does: it comes off as a bush league WWF copy rather than a gritty underground presentation ala ECW or a "smoke filled hall" presentation like some of the 70s/80s stuff. I would take WCW SN or Shotgun in the nightclub or ECW in the shithole Elks Lodge or Memphis studio shows any day over early 90s "shuffle everyone to the hard cam side of a way-too-big building" WCW thing. That's personal preference. But in theory, I agree with you. WWE's modern TV presentation is so over the top, and boring, and STERILE.. I guess this is what people my parents age in the 80s felt like when Metallica went from playing clubs to arenas. WWE just isn't "our band" anymore.

RE: the Cruiserweight title/division: I like what it could be (and a big thank you to Cobra for listing the possible guys) but I think the US title fills the same purpose without limiting it via weight. Nothing worse than seeing a too big guy like Matt Hardy or Disco Inferno shoe horned in for the sake of it. Plus, NXT sort of helps to fill that void by having that cruiser work style be the soup du jour

From an entertainment standpoint, perhaps. But if you were Dustin, which company do you think you would prefer doing shitty angles for?

Let's see.. Get paid to work one day a month like you there every day of several months because you are an ex-WWE superstar or actually work every day of several months to get paid because the WWE requires you to work more than one day a month..

Rasstlin' fans think to hard about this kind of shit.

I feel I should post less to live up to the fact that everyone is bringing me up like I'm some sort of legend, like a clean job from Stone Cold Steve Austin or a good Paige promo.

What would the new people to the board think?

I feel I should post less to live up to the fact that everyone is bringing me up like I'm some sort of legend, like a clean job from Stone Cold Steve Austin or a good Paige promo.

What would the new people to the board think?

You're a female poster on a wrestling message board. You're a unicorn that rides Hailey's comet. Your rarity secures your reputation.
  • Like 1

From an entertainment standpoint, perhaps. But if you were Dustin, which company do you think you would prefer doing shitty angles for?

Let's see.. Get paid to work one day a month like you there every day of several months because you are an ex-WWE superstar or actually work every day of several months to get paid because the WWE requires you to work more than one day a month..

Rasstlin' fans think to hard about this kind of shit.

TNA Dustin was also a lot fatter than 1998 WWF Goldust too, if we're measuring happiness here

There was also Nash's cameo as a mover in Grandma's Boy. Nash is much more enjoyable when he's not doing anything wrestling related.

Nash's cameo in the opening scene of an episode is Sabrina the Teenage Witch is awesomely weird. He shows up as a barbarian to kill her, finds out it's the wrong address, blames it on them having just merged with another horde, tasks about having a talk with human resources...

Billy Gunn was also on an episode. And did the job for Sabrina.

There was also Nash's cameo as a mover in Grandma's Boy. Nash is much more enjoyable when he's not doing anything wrestling related.

Nash's cameo in the opening scene of an episode is Sabrina the Teenage Witch is awesomely weird. He shows up as a barbarian to kill her, finds out it's the wrong address, blames it on them having just merged with another horde, tasks about having a talk with human resources...

Billy Gunn was also on an episode. And did the job for Sabrina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTr5-Y8DLm8

Dusty's commentary was one of the best parts about WCW Worldwide.  The way he would get behind the jobbers like he thought they could win or just put them over because he thought they were cool always cracked me up.

This is a perfect example I found on some other site-

MENG, KEVIN SULLIVAN, and SHARK (with Giant) vs. TODD MORTON, BUCK QUARTERMAINE, and LUIS ASTEA

Dusty’s excitement for Luis Astea is outstanding: “LUIS! LUIS! DON’T GET HURT AMIGO!” Fans chant for Hogan, because that’s what the sign says to do. Todd Morton gets his head chopped in half by Meng. Shark starts shoving everyone, including Luis which just sends Dusty into hysterics. “HE JUST STANDING THERE! HE AIN’T MEAN!” Shark drops a big fat leg, and drops Quartermaine with a sidewalk slam. Back to Meng, and Astea tags in. “GET HIM LUIS! PROTECT YOURSELF! PUT YOUR HANDS UP IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE! GET UP AND TAG OUT! HE AIN’T LISTENIN! WAIT – THERE YOU GO LUIS, GET OUT OF THERE!” With that out of the way, Quartermaine goes back to taking his lumps from the Shark. Buck is kicked to the floor, and the Giant chokeslams him on the cement, right in front of the referee, to no bell. Sullivan finishes him with the double stomp “right in the belly welly” at 3:47. 1/2*

• Like 1