DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I don't think you can show people any matches of this card years from now and it'd be easy to understand why you're showing someone that match, as compared to things like Andre/Hansen or Muta/Hase or Gringos/Santo and Octagon. 

I just want to say, even though this is off-topic, my wrestling experience is pretty much U.S.-based as far as what I've seen, even though I have some general knowledge about Japan and Mexico through osmosis. My experience with Stan Hansen is pretty much his work in WCW in the early '90s, therefore, and while I enjoyed it and thought he had a good match with Lex Luger in particular, I wasn't sure why people would insist that he was a top-five guy all-time just out of my own ignorance.

So then I saw this Andre/Hansen match a few months ago somewhere, maybe I was clicking around YouTube, and it's pretty much amazing. That match alone has me understanding what people love about Stan Hansen. I just wanted to point this out for anyone who hasn't yet seen it. It's on YouTube and WELL worth your fifteen minutes or however long it was. 

• Like 2

I'm having a lot of trouble with Hansen, actually, in getting into him. I do love Andre vs Hansen and I like him outside of Japan, both as a bully and a chickenshit in AWA, but my problem is that he seemed wholly possessed in Japan and mainly had one speed. He had this suddenness which I've never seen out of another wrestler. He could just be across the ring in a heartbeat and he made people work extremely hard for everything, but let them earn in it a way that someone like, oh, let's say Brody, would never do. If you made Hansen sell, then he would sell, yes, but he rarely seemed to give things time to breathe in the slew of 80s tag matches I've seen him in, in Japan. I get why people like that and it's hugely impressive from a cardio level but I've found it frustrating so far. 

One, "two main events" is a gimmick. The match that goes on last is the main event.

Somebody should tell all the 60-80s WWF main eventers that would go on before intermission that.

I don't think I've seen Hansen tag matches, so I can't speak to that point you made, Matt.

What I like about Stan Hansen basically is a couple key things: Hansen's selling and Hansen's brawling. Hansen gets rocked, he does that selling which is kinda like a Terry Funk-like weeble-wobble, but not cartoonish. It looks like a guy just about to go out on his feet, which fits right in with his style since he's usually giving and taking some vicious offense. Everything feels like a real fight with Hansen, like each blow is a) a struggle and b) could be the blow that ends the match. I'll have to watch a few Hansen tags in Japan and see what you mean. Would you suggest some matches that aren't necessarily the best, but that illustrate the issue that you have with him?

Does Royal Rumble 95 have the least star power of any Rumble match ever? Shawn, Luger, Bulldog, Crush, Backlund and Owen are pretty much it for main event or upper midcard guys. Add onto that Bret Hart attacking Owen and Backlund so each is in the match for no time at all.

Plus 1 minute intervals? That's some bullshit.

I hate hate hate 1 minute intervals. As soon as one guy is in the ring the next guys is coming. Too much. 

• Like 1

One year I want the Money in the Bank winner to enter themselves into the Rumble, win the title at the Rumble and still be entered into the Rumble match to win that too.

I had a similar idea where a wrestler discovers they get full control of the company and can do whatever they want if they hold all the titles. So the storyline would be a guy obtaining all of the titles throughout the course of many months, like Thanos obtaining Infinity Gems.

It really ought to be Rush's year. 

I'm going to start a note soon if no one else does starting the process a little bit early with match suggestions and arguments being made. I think it's perfectly understandable why people don't watch specific spotlight matches in 24 hours, but if we have a month of build up to this, either we'll all be somewhat more educated (look, I'll watch some Nakamura  and AJ Styles and maybe something with a Briscoe I guess)or we'll all be banned and it'll be moot anyway.

We have to be careful who we vote for, I mean looked what happened to last years winner!

Convinced WWE saw the MM result and booked Cesaro to oblivion to troll us. A billion dollar company has nothing better to do right?

So what your saying is we need to pad the votes for Cena?

• Like 1

Last night I was nosing around on cagematch and found out that AWS held a 159 person battle royal a few years back.  I was really curious as to how such a thing could be pulled off, but could find next to no info about it online, save for

.  Does anyone know anything else about this match or has by any chance actually seen it?