DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Jericho's last couple of comebacks haven't been stellar, but you have to forget a LOT of history to pretend that the only "cool moment" in Jericho's career was the debut. First and foremost, there's the 98 run in WCW that made said debut such a hot occasion to begin with. (No matter how cool the countdown clock was, Y2Iaukea doesn't get the same reaction.) Then there's the Super J Cup match with Benoit, the ECW run, the feud with Rock, a lot of good matches in the early 2000s with the likes of Benoit, Angle, and Guerrero. The HBK feud was probably the best heel run since Eddie's "I'm your Papi!" bit.

2010 stuff a bit patchier, but that was more crappy babyface Edge and general bad booking than anything else. 

When I think about Jericho's 2010, I recall the Evan Bourne matches and not much else. 

The few weeks he has the WHC in 2010 he's pretty money, and he was pretty great as Wade Barrett's mentor on NXT. 

Backlund vs. Ramon at WM9 was pretty bad.

WM9 was pretty bad all together, outside of the Steiners/Headshrinkers. My memory is really fuzzy on Bret/Yoko, but given that it's Bret and Yoko before his weight got completely out of hand, it couldn't have been bad. Hogan walking out with the belt ruins even the best match, though. Even 12 y/o me thought the concept of "the world's largest toga party" was fucking stupid.

Liked HBK-Tatanka other than the screwed up finish.  Ditto Steiners-Headshrinkers(powerslam out of the Doomsday Device attempt was badass, blown Frankensteiner not so much).  Otherwise a LOT of heel wins on the show and an odd footnote on Taker's streak that he only won by DQ.

if someone will transcribe the rest of Sheiky Baby's interview I will give them a cookie

EDIT: Sheiky was the ultimate heel in not naming the Irish

Attempted it

Mean Gene: Iron Sheik, it is certainly a privilege for me to welcome you back to Boston. Former Olympian, 68 in Mexico City. The Pan-Am Games. Many medals as an amateur. Former Tag Team Champion. Former Heavyweight Champion. Welcome Back. To Boston.

Iron Sheik: Thank you very much, Gene Mean. I respect you're intelligent and I know, Boston Massachusett. Thousand-thousand Italian, my paisan. And Iranian. And Arabian. And Intelligent Jew People

Gene: (unintellible)

Sheik: (unintellible). Everybody recognize the Sheik. They know what you talking about. Background of the, Background of the Sheik. America Get Excited. I saw Junkyard Dog. He come open his mouth. And he talk about his young partner, Corporal Kirschner, whatever his name is.

Gene: Corporal Kirschner, that's right

Sheik: WHATEVER. Now, Boston Massachusett, Cosmopolitan City, International City, Intelligent Boston People

Gene: The home of Harvard University

Sheik: WHATEVER. I don't know about that stuff, you know better than me, Gene. Now, you gonna find out, Mr. Blassie said it, Nikolai doesn't (unintelligble) now, he's in the gym, he's get ready, because I heard Junkyard Dog and that punk, they have a lot of support, in Boston.
  • Like 1

I really like Doink/Crush, but I am a massive fan of Matt Borne as Doink. Perfect/Luger was really disappointing. Perfect is a candidate for having the most "I had high expectations and ended up disappointed" matches in WWF of anyone I can think of. Luger, Michaels, even his Bourne Doink matches. It's like he was really great against Bret Hart, solid against Ric Flair, and kinda not that great against anyone else. 

• Like 2

2010 stuff a bit patchier, but that was more crappy babyface Edge and general bad booking than anything else. 

When I think about Jericho's 2010, I recall the Evan Bourne matches and not much else. 

The few weeks he has the WHC in 2010 he's pretty money, and he was pretty great as Wade Barrett's mentor on NXT. 

That's when he had that awesome Superstars match against Goldust, right? 

Can't mention worst Mania moments without Miz winning a main event.

Bossman hanging from the cell is definitely a wrestlecrap-y moment that should be on there, although the Corporation/Ministry saga is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Swagger taking forever to unlatch the MITB case would be a good #29-30 candidate.