DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Did I really step into this thread and see people claim Booker T is a good announcer? And Dusty was too? I know people here have a boner for WCW in the early 90s, but Dusty was fucking awful, I'm sorry. Booker T might be a smidge better than Dusty, but he still belongs nowhere near an announce booth. They add NOTHING to a match, much like Lawler/JBL does. Cole is good when he's not being led along by the hand by Vince (ie: WM30 main event), but still sucks in general.

Booker & Dusty add nothing to their commentary teams except stupid, corny one-liners.

Dusty commentating in Anything Goes matches was awesome and added a ton of rewatch value

Don't get me wrong, I like me some early 90s WCW, but even the most ardent fan of that era has to admit the overall presentation left a LOT to be desired. That is not a knock on the guys or the match quality, it's just an observation-- but that might be because I was a WWF kid at that time.

if the WWE brought back a Cruiserweight title.. here's the people under 230lbs that I can spot on the roster

Main roster: Adam Rose, Chris Jericho, Curtis Axel, Daniel Bryan, Dean Ambrose, Diego, Fernando, Justin Gabriel, Kofi Kingston, The Miz, R-Truth, Seth Rollins, Sin Cara, Stardust, Tyson Kidd, Viktor, Xavier Woods

NXT: Adrian Neville, Aiden English, Enzo Amore, Finn Balor, Hideo Itami, Kalisto, Sami Zayn, Sylvester Lefort, Tyler Breeze

Near miss: Bo Dallas (234lbs), Cesaro (232), Goldust (232)

Quietly retired: Christian

Under contract until end of time: Rey Mysterio

In prison: Heath Slater

So you could get an 8 man tournament and some programs out of that, especially if you have it as the WWE/NXT Cruiserweight title, defending on WWE shows and NXT shows, essentially meaning that holding the title is a de facto promotion to the main roster

It seems really weird to me that Cesaro and Dustin both weigh less than Bo. Maybe the lack of definition just makes him look smaller, I guess, but in my head I picture them both towering over him.

Given the names on that list, it's clear that they aren't interested in bringing back a cruiser belt and that's probably a good thing -- there is now no weight/height disparity between workers and everyone can work with everyone. Besides, you know what you'd end up getting if they brought it back: best of 2458 Justin Gabriel vs. Tyson Kidd FTW! 

If you don't enjoy Dusty clowning and babbling on commentary you have no soul. Booker last night was surprisingly restrained and we ten thousand times better than Lawler is these days, even when he seemed a little clueless.

Did I really step into this thread and see people claim Booker T is a good announcer? And Dusty was too? I know people here have a boner for WCW in the early 90s, but Dusty was fucking awful, I'm sorry. Booker T might be a smidge better than Dusty, but he still belongs nowhere near an announce booth. They add NOTHING to a match, much like Lawler/JBL does. Cole is good when he's not being led along by the hand by Vince (ie: WM30 main event), but still sucks in general.

Booker & Dusty add nothing to their commentary teams except stupid, corny one-liners.

This might be the craziest thing I've ever seen.  I don't have really strong opinions on Booker one way or the other, but the idea that Dusty Rhodes added nothing to the matches he commentated is the definition of insanity.

Listen to Dusty commentate Regal-Finlay which was presented as a throw-away WCWSN match and talk about how incredible it is; listen to Dusty commentate a WCW lucha 6 man and lose his mind at some of the bumps and dives; listen to Dusty call Benoit-Sullivan falls-count-anywhere and try not to enjoy the match.  To say that Dusty added nothing but corny one-liners suggests to me that you haven't watched many matches called by Dusty, considering he's not even known for one-liners.

• Like 7

Black Reign might have been Dustins darkest hour.

Over Platinum? The outhouse sketch w austin?

Shitty gimmick in Attitude Era WWF > Shitty gimmick in TNA

Just because more than the people in the crowd watched the shit, doesn't make it any better.

Don't get me wrong, I like me some early 90s WCW, but even the most ardent fan of that era has to admit the overall presentation left a LOT to be desired. That is not a knock on the guys or the match quality, it's just an observation-- but that might be because I was a WWF kid at that time.

Honestly, I find the presentation charming. Not "big time" by our standards, but then again, that sort of presentation is grating at this point. 

This might be the craziest thing I've ever seen.  I don't have really strong opinions on Booker one way or the other, but the idea that Dusty Rhodes added nothing to the matches he commentated is the definition of insanity.

Listen to Dusty commentate Regal-Finlay which was presented as a throw-away WCWSN match and talk about how incredible it is; listen to Dusty commentate a WCW lucha 6 man and lose his mind at some of the bumps and dives; listen to Dusty call Benoit-Sullivan falls-count-anywhere and try not to enjoy the match.  To say that Dusty added nothing but corny one-liners suggests to me that you haven't watched many matches called by Dusty, considering he's not even known for one-liners.

I've seen enough WCW matches with Dusty commentary to know it fucking sucks.

Dusty Rhodes terrible though is different from Todd Grisham or Todd Pettengill terrible. They're both technically bad but the former is a hell of a lot of fun to listen to while the latter makes you want to deafen yourself so you never have to hear it again. 

Black Reign might have been Dustins darkest hour.

Over Platinum? The outhouse sketch w austin?
Shitty gimmick in Attitude Era WWF > Shitty gimmick in TNA

Just because more than the people in the crowd watched the shit, doesn't make it any better.

From an entertainment standpoint, perhaps. But if you were Dustin, which company do you think you would prefer doing shitty angles for?