DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The current call team is actually worse than the dying days of WCW...

Whoa, let's not go crazy.  Go back and watch some of that last year of WCW: "Snootchie bootchies, Tony, snootchie bootchies!"

I remember when they put Juventud on commentary for Thunder and he buried The Artist Formerly Known as Prince Iauwhatever. "Nice gimmick to give to the worst wrestler in the company." Also, who could forget about drunk Kevin Nash? "Old Glory elbow drop!" "Old Glory ballshot!"

I would take a 3 man booth of Black Snow, Chet Lemon and Ebbie over Cole, JBL and Lawler.

The current call team is actually worse than the dying days of WCW...

Okay Ebbie, how about your Barrett to Lawler's Divas. Is that attainable?

Oh Shit, that may be worse. o.O

I spent time putting over Booker and you couldn't even bring him up?

But WCW had the Cruiserweights. They were fun.

WWE killed their Division because someone found it funny to make Hornswoggle their champion, because he is small.

Depends on the era.  Rey-Malenko-Psicosis-Juventud: Fun! Kargias-Oklahoma-Madusa: Awful! Iaukea-Candido-Daffney-Elix Skipper: Not that great! Last few months with Helms-Chavo-Moore-Hayashi: Getting better!

People also forget how long WWE had the cruiserweight title.  

In WCW, they brought it back in 1996 until they disbanded in 2001: 5 Years.

In WWE, they brought it in with the Alliance in 2001 and had it defended regularly right up to and including July 2007 when Chavo lost to Hornswoggle: 6 Years.

So WWE actually stuck with the cruiserweight division longer than WCW did.  Really, when you consider what happened to the division from 1999 into 2000 - Lenny Lane's phantom title loss, a lineage of Disco Inferno-Evan Karagias-Madusa-Oklahoma followed by a tournament won by lame-duck Iaukea gimmick, eventually giving way to a Crowbar/Daffney co-champion, to eventually Mike Sanders winning the title in handicap power bomb match with Kevin Nash, only for the division to be resuscitated with Chavo et al. in the last four months - you could make the argument that WWE had longer, more unerring faith in the cruiserweight division than WCW did.  WWE had its fair share of wacky/gimmicky champions before Hornswoggle killing the division (Jacqueline, Chavo Classic) but those were usually explained in a way that didn't kill the division and didn't last long.

I've been watching some TNA Monthly PPV's from 04 - Early 05 and I was wondering what ever happened to the guy. I've always been a fan. And I wonder what an Elix Skipper Tyler Black match looks like? was it for AAW?

I've been watching some TNA Monthly PPV's from 04 - Early 05 and I was wondering what ever happened to the guy. I've always been a fan. And I wonder what an Elix Skipper Tyler Black match looks like? was it for AAW?

No, it was for the NWA office in Iowa.

I had no idea there was such a thing.  Live and learn.

He was 32 when he debuted in WCW. 

He was 37 in that Cage match against AMW at Turning Point 04. Black don't crack.

He only debuted in WCW in 99-00 which blows my mind, it felt like he had been around forever by the time TNA rolled around.

He was trained at the Power Plant he debuted in WCW at 32. Thats a pretty late start and Elix Skipper is an awesome wrestler to boot.

Did I really step into this thread and see people claim Booker T is a good announcer? And Dusty was too? I know people here have a boner for WCW in the early 90s, but Dusty was fucking awful, I'm sorry. Booker T might be a smidge better than Dusty, but he still belongs nowhere near an announce booth. They add NOTHING to a match, much like Lawler/JBL does. Cole is good when he's not being led along by the hand by Vince (ie: WM30 main event), but still sucks in general.

Booker & Dusty add nothing to their commentary teams except stupid, corny one-liners.