DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Beefcake and Knobbs basically made their careers by being friends with the Hulkster, brother. As long as you're content to stay in the shadows, and don't get any crazy notions of trying to steal Hollywood's spotlight, the Immortal one will do right by you. Plus, if you're getting your ass handed to you, he will come to your rescue, if only to get some of that sweet, sweet spotlight.

So it's Hulkster's fault WWE babyfaces won't do a run-in to save a fellow babyface without stopping to tell the producer first, so their theme music plays and the cameraman gets a good angle?

That is... not at all surprising, actually.

On the flip side, who is the best friend to have in wrestling? I'm going with 80's/90's Flair. He threw killer parties, had tons of chicks around, doesn't care about spending money so he probably gave awesome Christmas/birthday gifts like outrageous fur coats and he was generally too busy turning on Sting to dick over anyone else who was on his side. Plus even though you probably weren't going to get a World title shot, you would always be in line for the tv, US or tag-titles.

I won't argue with the rest of that, but the bolded line? Ole and Luger would disagree.

Hey, it wasn't Flair's fault that Ole's stupid kid was more important to him than Horseman business. And Luger shouldn't have bowed up on the Horsemen (tm Arn Anderson). They brought those beatings on themselves. Flair didn't turn on them for spite/kicks like he did with Sting.

• Like 1

From the recent Monday Night War episode:

Hogan says that he had creative control and says he never used it until this occasion (against JJ at BATB 2000)

Trolololololol!
This is in the WCW OMG Moments DVD as well, absolutely hysterical. Especially if you're listening to Kevin Sullivan's MLW podcast where he goes through WCW bookings week-by-week and explains how Hogan was.

Hogan's creative control gave Savage the WCW title because Randy had split with Liz and The Hulkster "gave" him the title to bury any heat between him and Randy. Hogan's creative control created The Renegade who Hogan wanted to be called Warrior (until TBS legal killed it). Hogan's creative control allowed Flair and Savage to get the title but never to be shown as strong champions because Hogan would eventually reclaim his belt... whenever he got back from filming a movie.

I've fallen behind the past month due to the holidays and stuff but I always got a kick out of Sullivan describing the lengths of Hulk's paranoia manifested through his creative control use.

He's stated that no heels could lose during his absence when filming one of his classic movies because they'd lose any heat they had for when it came time for Hulkster to beat them on his return. Scott Norton's unbelievable power, arm size, and arm wrestling history couldn't be played up too much, brother, because we all know who has the 24" pythons. It sounds like the entire card was either directly or indirectly influenced by that fragile ego of Hulk's.

• Like 1

On the flip side, who is the best friend to have in wrestling? I'm going with 80's/90's Flair. He threw killer parties, had tons of chicks around, doesn't care about spending money so he probably gave awesome Christmas/birthday gifts like outrageous fur coats and he was generally too busy turning on Sting to dick over anyone else who was on his side. Plus even though you probably weren't going to get a World title shot, you would always be in line for the tv, US or tag-titles.

Actually wouldn't it be Sting. I mean he always had his friends backs. He would even give up his spot on the card to be a tag champ with his best friend. You'd get good pay days since you would be near the top and since good conquers evil you're gonna get a win over the Horsemen at War Games.

• Like 1

From the recent Monday Night War episode:

Hogan says that he had creative control and says he never used it until this occasion (against JJ at BATB 2000)

Trolololololol!
This is in the WCW OMG Moments DVD as well, absolutely hysterical. Especially if you're listening to Kevin Sullivan's MLW podcast where he goes through WCW bookings week-by-week and explains how Hogan was.

Hogan's creative control gave Savage the WCW title because Randy had split with Liz and The Hulkster "gave" him the title to bury any heat between him and Randy. Hogan's creative control created The Renegade who Hogan wanted to be called Warrior (until TBS legal killed it). Hogan's creative control allowed Flair and Savage to get the title but never to be shown as strong champions because Hogan would eventually reclaim his belt... whenever he got back from filming a movie.

I've fallen behind the past month due to the holidays and stuff but I always got a kick out of Sullivan describing the lengths of Hulk's paranoia manifested through his creative control use.

He's stated that no heels could lose during his absence when filming one of his classic movies because they'd lose any heat they had for when it came time for Hulkster to beat them on his return. Scott Norton's unbelievable power, arm size, and arm wrestling history couldn't be played up too much, brother, because we all know who has the 24" pythons. It sounds like the entire card was either directly or indirectly influenced by that fragile ego of Hulk's.

all things considered, it's pretty amazing that WCW was as good as it was from '96-'97.

all that considered, it's 

Damnit there's a video of the best quotes of CM Punk on commentary why is there not one for Dusty

(Note: there damn well might be but I'm too lazy to look for it right now)

"He wore his ol' tired ass out!"

• Like 5

Damnit there's a video of the best quotes of CM Punk on commentary why is there not one for Dusty

(Note: there damn well might be but I'm too lazy to look for it right now)

Look under "botchamania."

• Like 3

Sad news for New York/New Jersey indy wrestling fans:

Tim Roberts, who wrestled on the independent scene in The Northeast and Puerto Rico under the name "Tim Arson" and famously appeared on the first episode of ECW on SciFi as the "ECW Zombie" passed away sometime overnight. There isn't much known about the circumstances of his passing, except that he was found in bed.

You can't have a conversation about bad friends in wrestling without bringing up Slick, always lyin to his friends.

That should've gotten more love when Christian blurted that out straight faced last week on Raw.

Yeah, but Slick told you in his theme song what he was about. He didn't hide behind some fake credo like Hogan and Cena. If you don't listen to Slick's warning, it's your own fault.

Sad news for New York/New Jersey indy wrestling fans:

Tim Roberts, who wrestled on the independent scene in The Northeast and Puerto Rico under the name "Tim Arson" and famously appeared on the first episode of ECW on SciFi as the "ECW Zombie" passed away sometime overnight. There isn't much known about the circumstances of his passing, except that he was found in bed.

Apparently he was able to get a lot more bookings once he started playing the Zombie on the indies, so that's something, at least.

Best friend in wrestling is clearly Brock Lesnar. Anyone messes with Heyman, Brock makes them pay. This even after Paul E. sold him out.

For fuckin' Big Show. I hold a grudge, and I wasn't even in the angle.

Didn't Lesnar turn face/start showing face tendencies around the time of Survivor Series 2002? What makes it even more bizarre is that Lesnar had just destroyed The Rock a few months prior, and made history. And Heyman decides, fuck Brock - I'll manage Big Show (fresh off an OVW run, right?).

My memory of that period is hazy, at best.

• Like 1

I would say that Heyman pays Brock for his protection but we all know how good Heyman is at paying people.........

Brock would be a great guy to go to the bar with. You can be an obnoxious prick and feel totally safe because Brock would just destroy anyone who tried to stop you.

I would say that Heyman pays Brock for his protection but we all know how good Heyman is at paying people.........

Brock would be a great guy to go to the bar with. You can be an obnoxious prick and feel totally safe because Brock would just destroy anyone who tried to stop you.

Uh oh, Alistair Overeem just walked in...