DVDVR Message Board

Crying

Dolfan in NYC

Don't play that record, Angus. He's not waking up.

Holy Shit! Someone else watched Angus

And OMG - so no way to lose it over that

• Like 1

The only crying story that comes to mind for me is when I saw 50/50 in the theatre with two female friends.  The part where JGL starts freaking out right when they're wheeling him in to surgery, all three of us started crying virtually at the same time.  I'm sure I just got hit with some sort of estrogen spillover.

Jesus dude, when his voice cracks and he calls out "Mom?", I lost it hard. WHY HASN'T EVERYONE SEEN THIS MOVIE????

I was going to say 50/50 also, but I figured that was that embarrassing. I cried during a few points and I'm tearing up now thinking about it. One of them being when Seth Rogen teaches him how to drive, but he crashes and just lets out the most primal scream. I would do the same. When he says "Mom..." though, oh God, I need to stop typing about it now.

Oh, and Warrior counts right? Am I the only one who cries some manly tears when Joel Edgerton is telling Tom Hardy, "It's ok! I love you!" Dammit, I need to stop typing about that too. Don't want to leave the office looking like a mess.

EDIT: What makes that scene even harder to watch without crying is that the National's "About Today" is playing over it. Here's the video...

Oh FUUUUUUCK, "Warrior" almost killed me. I have some dad/younger brother issues anyway (a story for another time) so the grand finale of this movie had me sobbing....SOBBING I TELLS YA.

I'm turning 27 tomorrow and the Fresh Prince episode with Will's dad leaving still gets me every fucking time.

Another one may be a bit weird but the scene in Jedi when the 2 Ewoks are running and get blasted and the one Ewok checks on it's friend and it doesn't get up. Whenever that movie airs I always avoid that scene.

• Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

The ending of The Proposition.  "I want to be with my brother."  "You got me, Charlie.  What are you going to do now?"

Assassination of Jesse James - Charlie's increasingly haunted look in the theater scenes and his suicide. 

Red Dawn - The brothers visit the camp to see their Dad.  Also the ending with Jed and Matt on the swing.  Pretty much starts when Cuban Ron O'Neal waves them on. 

Oh, and Warrior counts right? Am I the only one who cries some manly tears when Joel Edgerton is telling Tom Hardy, "It's ok! I love you!" Dammit, I need to stop typing about that too. Don't want to leave the office looking like a mess.

EDIT: What makes that scene even harder to watch without crying is that the National's "About Today" is playing over it. Here's the video...

Oh man, it didn't make me cry (I'm not a cry-er, for whatever reason) but it welled me up with this incredible feeling of happiness, sadness and everything.  That movie is hella underrated, even if it's just basically MMA Rocky vs MMA Rocky's brother.  Tom Hardy is just king-sized in it, but Joel Edgerton is super solid, too.

Like I said, I'm not a cryer.  I'll get into scenes and feel deep within my soul, but I never come to tears WITH the exception of

I never flat-out cried watching this, but my eyes welled up with tears at the beauty and sadness of this clip.  When Jaiver Bardem, as a priest, implores God "Shine through us. Show us how to seek you. We were made to see you." I was deeply moved and I'm not even religious.

Recently, I watched 'Out of the Furnace' and it WRECKED me.  The scene that juxtaposes

them skinning the dead deer and removing its antlers while draining its blood into a bucket with his brother being pulled out of the car in the dark at gunpoint and shot

was really brutally sad.  My brother is my best friend and seeing that, I went right over and texted him immediately with just a "What's up?" because I needed to hear from him, to know that he was okay.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I forgot the cyclops dude sacrificing himself for the squad in Krull.  You know you cried too. 

One of my favorite movies of all-time.

I don't know if the scene itself is embarrassing or not, but the fact that it gets me every single damned time, even if I know what's coming certainly is.

The end of the Futurama episode "Jurassic Bark"

• Like 2

Such an underrated film. I wish it would get a proper home release.

I don't know if the scene itself is embarrassing or not, but the fact that it gets me every single damned time, even if I know what's coming certainly is.

The end of the Futurama episode "Jurassic Bark"

I don't want to meet the man that watched that and didn't cry.

• Like 1

as a kid, the only movie that made me cry was "All Dogs Go to Heaven" and i really don't even know why. it's not even close to the saddest movie around.

as an adult, the only movie that i cried at in theaters was Marley & Me.

Let me tell you guys about some fucking bullshit right here.

One of my grad screenwriting classes had us watching stuff and dissecting it into my teachers formula. He's a good dude and I love the guy but man, he had us watch the first ten minutes of Up. Repeatedly. Back to back in class after assigning it from homework.

I was pretty convinced he was doing some Scarecrow shit like how he got fired for bringing a gun to show his students fear, but with sadness. He's like the fucking Sadcrow or some shit.

• Like 2

There is definitely no reason to be embarrassed if you cry at the beginning of Up (or, to be fair, the end of it as well.)

The number of animated films that have gotten me teary eyed is...  Longer than I care to confess to.

• Like 1

My mom is maybe the biggest Rocky fan I know. All the while growing up she would use Rocky as an example for why I should never give up. So for mother's day, back when Rocky Balboa was still in theaters, I took her to see it. I think it was her favorite mother's day gift ever. We both cried a lot watching it and I had already been through all those tears once already during it's opening weekend. This scene in particular really gets to me:

http://youtu.be/D_Vg4uyYwEk

That scene makes that entire film for me. On one of the old boards, I had that quote as my signature here for quite some time.

Speaking as one of the older folks around this board , lemme fill you all in on something. The older you get the more emotional you get about everything. I cry at the drop of a hat. I just watched the Vickie stuff from RAW and I got all teary when she did the Eddie shimmy and blew a kiss up to the sky while saying "I love you." while covered in fake shit.

• Like 4

Speaking as one of the older folks around this board , lemme fill you all in on something. The older you get the more emotional you get about everything.

This is the absolute truth. When I was younger, I wasn't much of a crier, though there have been notable exceptions. "When She Loved Me."  from Toy Story II? Yeah, I was on a 'date night' with my soon to be ex-wife. Figured that would be a harmless enough mood setter to talk things over afterwards. That song destroyed my soul with her sitting right next to me. And Spock's death scene in WoK has always gotten to me. That was about it until a few years ago.

Now, commercials make me cry. I got all misty eyed when Tim Duncan was talking about his kids seeing him win it all, and I don't even have kids!! Too much life experience leads to emotional triggers you don't even see coming. And judging by some of these posts, some of you should probably just become shut-ins as you grow older. It isn't going to be pretty.

It should be said that Doctor Who will give you a surprise emotion ass kicking at the drop of a hat and has done it for years. Even movies about Doctor Who..."An Adventure in Space and Time" anyone?

Eleventh Doctor saga has produced more weepy moments than any other incarnation. 

When the time rip obliterates Rory from existance and the Doctor gets all misty when Amy doesn't remember Rory anymore.  Holy shit.. 

And when the Doctor gets locked in the Pandorica?  Seriously, fuck that show.

I saw this poster in one of the racks at Five Below:

pp32399-doctor-who-exploding-tardis-van-

I cannot bring myself to buy it.  The pain is too great.

I got it for christmas a couple of years ago. . .

Oh this is easy.

The end of the third Lord of the Rings movie.  I went to see it probably two nights after my high school girlfriend broke up with me and I was an emotional wreck already.  I clearly remember sitting in the theatre just balling my eyes out when Sam & Frodo were on that rock in the lava flow and when they got saved by the eagle....oh boy I lost it.