DVDVR Message Board

Crying

Dolfan in NYC

So Lost counts then? If so, I totally cried throughout the entire series finale. Like, damn near all of it. I love that show.

The music in that show was so manipulative.  That's not a knock either.  It was great at what it did, which was to agitate my allergies.

I've found that since my last big concussion last August, certain musical scores (that get reused over and over again in movies), will automatically trigger tears even if I don't really give a shit about the movie I've been watching.

It ain't the same thing, but I cry damn near automatically at any funeral scene which uses "Amazing Grace" for theme music. That was the one song played at practically EVERY funeral I ever attended in my childhood, so it's forever a big glowing button in my brain which is labelled "Press Once For Cheap Tears".
When Scotty busts out amazing Grace on the bagpipes right before they shoot Spock's body in the big sunglasses case to the Genesis planet always breaks me.

The bagpipes version of "Amazing Grace" is sort of expected at cop's funerals so we had it played at my dad's service. So yeah....pretty much....

I watched The Normal Heart this weekend.  

I haven't cried that much at a movie in a long, long time. Like I said on Facebook, it's like getting punched in the gut repeatedly for 2 straight hours. 

So there was a fly-on-the-wall documentary series on over here last year called Educating Yorkshire. It featured a kid who had been bullied largely because of his horrendous stammer but he still has to do an oral exam in English so his awesome English teacher busts out some King's Speech shit:

I think it might be the look on the teacher's face at around 1:17 which gets me every time but then the ending too? I'm not normally a big old soft bastard during these docs but at the end, forget it, I was gone.

• Like 1

Anyone that can watch the 1985 Mark Romanek film Static and not burst into tears whenever they hear "Blue Christmas" is probably a soulless monster that strangled and ate their twin in the womb.

I don't consider it embarassing, screw it. 

I used to routinely cry at the end of "It's a Wonderful Life." Every time. Then I didn't anymore.

I cried like a baby IN THE THEATER at the montage scene in "Up." Some asshole said "is someone crying?" and I nearly yelled "fuck you pal, it's my movie and I'll cry if I want to."

I cried at the end of "Big Fish," which is one of the most awesome movies ever.

I cried at the very end of "Monsters Inc."

OK, maybe it's a bit embarassing.

"Kitty"

I see it and raise you "Superman".

I was working mostly nights when this came out. I went to the movies CONSTANTLY around this time because I had nothing else to do during the day. I would just go to the movie theater and pay a ticket for whatever was next.

I had no idea what The Iron Giant was about, or even that it was a cartoon. I saw it at like 1:45 p.m. on a weekday. There was one other person in the theater, a guy who was in his 40s or so.

After the movie ended, I had to SPRINT to the men's room because I was crying so hard. Then the other guy came in right behind me, also bawling. We gave each other a nod of recognition and went on our way.

That movie is so amazing.

There's nothing shameful about crying at that movie, though.

I also cried during the past few Wes Anderson movies I've seen. The guy knows how to get me.

The ultimate TV crying show for me is Friday Night Lights. It's not even close. I think I cried watching 75% of the episodes. There are so many small moments in that show that do it for me -- stuff like Coach playing with some little kids or Tyra getting into college or Matt driving away from Dillon. But stuff like the Matt Saracen's Dad episode were so insanely hard to sit through. I mean that as a compliment because I was so attached to that character and it felt so real and tragic.

There's nothing shameful about crying at those, though.

I cried at the end of Can't Hardly Wait when I saw it in college. I also unfortunately saw Pay It Forward in the movies -- truly one of the worst films ever made -- but that got me, too.

I forgot all about this and even now, I won't watch it for fear of getting weepy.

Ain't no shame in crying to that clip.  Powerful stuff that I hadn't seen since the original airing.

I watched The Normal Heart this weekend.  

I haven't cried that much at a movie in a long, long time. Like I said on Facebook, it's like getting punched in the gut repeatedly for 2 straight hours. 

I haven't had the courage to watch it yet.

The episode of Taxi, with Reiger's old dog. When they do their "cowboy" trick for the other drivers. "Get up, Buddy. C'mon ... Buddy?"

Also, Leon's death in "The Professional." He's home free ... but that POV shot as he's going to the ground ... :(

Forgot one that got me.  The end of This is England it gets dusty, when Einaudi's Rittornare plays before and while

Combo beats Milky to death

and then Fuori dal Mondo hits and it then transitions to the Falklands footage.  What a brilliant ending to a movie.  What a beautiful, sad song. 

You haven't seen This Is England '86 or '88, have you? Because

Milky isn't dead

. You really should go out of your way to watch those. If anything, they improve on the movie. Presumably he's starting to work in This is England '90 soon. He'll probably have to knock it on the head after that though, or he'll be making movies about how Shaun started making a low budget Boxing movie and Bob Hoskins agreed to be in it.

The movie UHF with Weird Al gets me every single time.

One of my dearest friends growing up was Eli. He was the kindest person I ever knew and loved music like no other person I ever met in my life. His mom was super artsy -- they decorated their living room with furniture from a dentist's office that went out of business, for instance. I was and am (duh) a total weirdo and my parents are like Ward and June Cleaver. Going over to Eli's house was such a great reprieve because that's where I felt most comfortable being myself. (And it was vice-versa for Eli and everyone else I was friends with practically, since most of my friends had varying degrees of family stryfe. Eli didn't, but it's still really nice sometimes to just go over someone's house for a family dinner.)

One night, I slept over and we watched UHF about 50,000 times, along with all of these free PSA videos Blockbuster used to rent out.

I almost went to college with Eli at the University of Hartford. We talked about being roommates, even. But then I visited La Salle and fell in love with Philadelphia and went that way with my life.

I lost touch with Eli, because he started going through a real rough time (he was always a big tragic romantic) and he isolated himself from almost everyone. I managed to find him once, in college, and we had a terrific time together. We went to a punk show at a roller rink in North Jersey and I met a girl and we went to a diner to talk about girls and life and music and everything else, just like we spent out last years of high school doing. It was an awesome night, but sadly the last I ever saw him.

Eli passed a way a few years after that -- you can read between the lines as to how. Just know that depression is really, really real and completely sucks. I still think about him a lot and whenever UHF pops up on TV, I have to watch it and also have to cry.

RIP Eli -- You were and always will be the best!

• Like 2

A lot of people have mentioned Rocky, and I admit I cry in that movie, but it's always at the scene where they bring him in and offer him the title match against Creed, and he can't quite wrap his bran around what is going on, so he starts talking about how he'll be a great sparring partner. It's such a completely honest and forthright moment. 

I cry at the end of Breaker Morant, every single time. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

Forgot one that got me.  The end of This is England it gets dusty, when Einaudi's Rittornare plays before and while

Combo beats Milky to death

and then Fuori dal Mondo hits and it then transitions to the Falklands footage.  What a brilliant ending to a movie.  What a beautiful, sad song. 

You haven't seen This Is England '86 or '88, have you? Because

Milky isn't dead

. You really should go out of your way to watch those. If anything, they improve on the movie. Presumably he's starting to work in This is England '90 soon. He'll probably have to knock it on the head after that though, or he'll be making movies about how Shaun started making a low budget Boxing movie and Bob Hoskins agreed to be in it.

I will try and track those down.  I've seen Dead Man's Shoes (loved it), but not those.  I loved This is England, so if you say they improve on it, I really need to do my bit to watch 'em. 

I was watching Ladder 49 on one of the Encores this weekend and the ending seriously hit me hard. I hadn't seen the movie before so I wasn't expecting it.

The scene where the wife is at home with the kids and the red chief's car with Travolta pulls up and she just starts sobbing. Yeah they foreshaddowed it earlier in the movie, but damn it hit me

Who would've thunk that SMURFS 2 would have all these great "family is what you make of it" moments in it? Watched it this morning with my girls (Cheapo "Family Fav" every Saturday at 11am at the Orchard Park Five), and it brought me to tears twice.

So there was a fly-on-the-wall documentary series on over here last year called Educating Yorkshire. It featured a kid who had been bullied largely because of his horrendous stammer but he still has to do an oral exam in English so his awesome English teacher busts out some King's Speech shit:

I think it might be the look on the teacher's face at around 1:17 which gets me every time but then the ending too? I'm not normally a big old soft bastard during these docs but at the end, forget it, I was gone.

Yep, that worked.