DVDVR Message Board

Crying

Dolfan in NYC

My answer is The Crow. When Shelly and Eric are reunited in the cemetery after Eric has avenged their deaths. Combine that with the Jane Sibbery song, "It Can't Rain All the Time" and the circumstances around Brandon Lee's death. Just thinking about it is getting me watery eyed.

Keep me the fuck away from any animal movie (The Bear, Marley & Me, Hachi). I can't handle those at all.

Someone else mentioned about getting more emotional as you get older. That's the fucking truth. I get weepy looking at greeting cards and old family pictures now. I've turned into my mother.

I saw that movie about 50 times in the 90's. I'm not a fan of it or anything, but I saw it a lot. Admit it, the scene you cry at is when the kid's stupid traveling father shows up at his big game.

I saw that movie about 50 times in the 90's. I'm not a fan of it or anything, but I saw it a lot. Admit it, the scene you cry at is when the kid's stupid traveling father shows up at his big game.

Little Giants is the best sports movie ever.

And no - the scene that probably always gets me is the dopey kid's father shouting in shock "MY KID'S GOING TO SCORE A TOUCHDOWN!" all why not really knowing how to react. 

Though I would get choked up re-watching the One Time scene during the Giants last Super Bowl run

This whole damn scene makes me tear up:

This one is always made me weepy when I was a kid just because of the strain in Duke's voice:

And because I have a daughter now, and she cries, I cry too...tears of joy:

Suor Angelica by Puccini.

Whoa, wasn't expecting THAT one to be answered so quickly, thanks dude.  

Put your head back and pretend you're looking at the ceiling until the tears stop, Jingus.  If anyone asks you say "Look at the vaulting up there.  They don't make concert halls like that anymore!"

Well, it would've been more like "Look at that plain flat white ceiling up there, there's a reason they didn't used to make concert halls like that!".  Stupid state university artless architecture.  

-Speaking of no-one-real-part, cumulative-effect examples: The Talented Mr. Ripley.  That one cut WAY too close to the bone, for me.  One of those movies which made me feel like maybe I'm not as nice a person as I like to think.  Maybe not nice at all.  Maybe not even close.

Anyone else freaked the fuck out right now?
Aw, THAT freaks you out?  But I haven't even started talking about how incredibly much I personally identify with Taxi Driver, Brazil, Hamlet, Let the Right One In, Memento, Rebel Without a Cause, The Blair Witch Project, Audition, Carrie, The Story of Adele H., Observe and Report, Zodiac, Bad Lieutenant (both of 'em), The King of Comedy, Match Point, Martyrs, Hobo With a Shotgun, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, Peeping Tom, The Road, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Fight Club, Primer, Punch-Drunk Love, Slumber Party Massacre, Happiness, Long Day's Journey Into Night, The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Deadgirl, Dogville, Gods and Monsters, Heavenly Creatures, Mr. Brooks, Cropsey, In the Cut, There Will Be Blood, Fritz the Cat, The Others, Lady Vengeance, Robocop, Nightbreed, Death Race 2000, Thirst, Christine, Falling Down, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, In the Mouth of Madness, John Dies at the End, Melancholia, and Cabin Boy.  Not to mention the collected works of Shinya Tsukamoto, Charlie Kaufman, Lloyd Kaufman, Mario Bava, Michael Mann, Darren Aronofsky, Werner Herzog, Edgar Wright, Jim Jarmusch, Andrei Tarkovsky, Sofia Coppola, Tim Burton, David Lynch, Sam Mendes, John McNaughton, Michel Gondry, Rob Zombie, Atom Egoyan, Takeshi Kitano, and Ingmar Bergman!  

No, I'm not kidding.  About any of them.  I've never been what you'd exactly call "sane". Not saying that to sound badass or scary or mysterious, simply stating the fact. It's not fun and it's not cool. I've managed to avoid seriously hurting anyone (so far, anyway) but goddamn it's been... rough.

Jingus already posted in the "thinking about wrestling too much" thread but you know it when he just referred to tears as "color".

TRANSPARENT color.  I wondered if anyone was gonna spot that little joke.

Silly one.

Dennis the Menace movie where Mr Wilson is sitting on his porch going through all the mean things he said to Dennis (Dennis is missing or has run away) when suddenly he leaps up gets into his car to go join the search for him.

Misty eyes every time.

I love the little meta bit about that scene.

When Ray dies and joins Evangeline in the sky, he becomes the second star to the right, therefore the path to Neverland.

• Like 1

Heather's goodbye into the camera in The Blair Witch Project still sticks with me. One of few times a horror film has actually pulled off something genuinely heart-wrenching and sad. It's a startling contrast to a genre where you're used to random one-dimensional blondes and jocks getting killed and no one caring. Yeah, these are people with lives and feelings and parents who will actually miss them.

It's one reason I'll continue to defend that film even when it gets trashed so much.

Can't say I've ever cried over a movie. I did get a little sad when Laughlin got killed by Buzzsaw in Running Man. "I'm going somewhere, but not with you. Buzzsaw took care of my traveling arrangements. Don't let us down. I don't want to be the only asshole in heaven, Ben."

Also, I once told Bret Hart, with tears in my eyes, that I loved his match against Booker T at Bash at the Beach 1999.

When Ray dies and joins Evangeline in the sky, he becomes the second star to the right, therefore the path to Neverland.

That's awesome!

That's awesome!

There are several allusions to Disney history peppered into The Princess and the Frog (owing in large part to it being the sadly brief return to more traditional animation.)

The most obscure is probably that the name of Louis's band at the end is a reference to The Firehouse Five + Two, a band from the 1950's that was put together by some of Disney's animators.

I've found that since my last big concussion last August, certain musical scores (that get reused over and over again in movies), will automatically trigger tears even if I don't really give a shit about the movie I've been watching.

Not that I don't cry at movies, because I totally do. Especially when animated movies do the "grumpy/standoffish dad finally opens up to underdog/misunderstood son" gimmick: Horton Hears A Who, How To Train Your Dragon, etc.

I also bawled several times during the Hannah Montana Movie, but I'm not embarrassed about that so it doesn't really fit the initial criteria...

I've found that since my last big concussion last August, certain musical scores (that get reused over and over again in movies), will automatically trigger tears even if I don't really give a shit about the movie I've been watching.

It ain't the same thing, but I cry damn near automatically at any funeral scene which uses "Amazing Grace" for theme music. That was the one song played at practically EVERY funeral I ever attended in my childhood, so it's forever a big glowing button in my brain which is labelled "Press Once For Cheap Tears".

After I got my wisdom teeth removed back in I wanna say '92 or so, I was on some painkillers and I cried watching a James Bond Marathon on TBS...like a bunch.

I cried at the theme for YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE.  Actually I cried at every theme.  I cried at the end of HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE.  At one point I started babbling about how James Bond is like a paschal lamb or something.  How he has had his emotional life burned out of him like his fingerprints and that all his awesomeness is wasted on an audience of just himself because he can never know human connection.

I was, like, saying these things out loud at the t.v.  To this day, I think that might have been the most passionate and connected weekend I ever spent with anyone.

Thank you, James Bond.  I'll never forget our brief time together.  To you it may have been another empty conquest, but I learned much about myself looking into you distant eyes.

Also a special shout out to Codeine.  You stay tight, Brah.  We'll meet again.

• Like 1

It ain't the same thing, but I cry damn near automatically at any funeral scene which uses "Amazing Grace" for theme music. That was the one song played at practically EVERY funeral I ever attended in my childhood, so it's forever a big glowing button in my brain which is labelled "Press Once For Cheap Tears".
When Scotty busts out amazing Grace on the bagpipes right before they shoot Spock's body in the big sunglasses case to the Genesis planet always breaks me.
  • Like 1

I was going to post "I don't cry during movies, movies cry during me." But I'm not Chuck Norris.

• Haha 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

Forgot one that got me.  The end of This is England it gets dusty, when Einaudi's Rittornare plays before and while

Combo beats Milky to death

and then Fuori dal Mondo hits and it then transitions to the Falklands footage.  What a brilliant ending to a movie.  What a beautiful, sad song. 

Spoilers galore if you play the youtube video. 

I don't know if the scene itself is embarrassing or not, but the fact that it gets me every single damned time, even if I know what's coming certainly is.

The end of the Futurama episode "Jurassic Bark"

I don't want to meet the man that watched that and didn't cry.

That and "Please don't stop playing, Fry. I want to know how it ends!" always, ALWAYS get me (to the point that I desperately wanted them to make the Comedy Central episodes continuity implants set before "The Devil's Hands" rather than continue the story.)

In spite of the general poor quality of Batman Forever, and the fact that you know Robin's family HAS to die for the story to progress, I remember getting misty at that crane shot of them all lying dead after trying to fight off Two-Face's thugs when I first saw it as a teenager.

Ultra Magnus's death in TF: Headmasters (the anime) hit me pretty hard when I first saw it despite being pretty goddamned cheesy.

Wally getting sucked into the Speed Force to beat Luthor in JLU (though he of course recovers in the same episode) and especially in the YJ finale (I didn't watch the latter for three months after it aired because I knew that was coming).

I am pretty easy to get weeping at shitty, manipulative movies, but I can't really think of any specific examples off the top of my head. It's all kids' action movies and stuff that spring to mind. I'm fairly sure I also cried the first time I saw Sleepless in Seattle, but I was a 16-year-old boy whose mind and expectations for romance had been poisoned by a diet of rom coms forced upon me by family on road trips.