DVDVR Message Board

Crying

Dolfan in NYC

This is inspired by a conversation Rippa and I and the rest of the GTA people were having the other day. While only a soulless monster wouldn't cry during the first ten minutes of Up, or the end of Old Yeller...

What's the most embarrassing thing you've cried at in a movie?

Here's mine: 

• Like 1

I don't consider it embarassing, screw it. 

I used to routinely cry at the end of "It's a Wonderful Life." Every time. Then I didn't anymore.

I cried like a baby IN THE THEATER at the montage scene in "Up." Some asshole said "is someone crying?" and I nearly yelled "fuck you pal, it's my movie and I'll cry if I want to."

I cried at the end of "Big Fish," which is one of the most awesome movies ever.

I cried at the very end of "Monsters Inc."

OK, maybe it's a bit embarassing. 

Ending of Shawshank redemption always gets me and I'm not even ashamed.

IT'S THE FIRST TIME YOU SEE RED PROPERLY SMILE.

AND HIS HAT. IT FALLS OFF AND HE DOESN'T CARE BECAUSE HE GETS TO SEE ANDY AGAIN.

*sob*

And the goodbye scene in Armageddon is more touching than it has any right to be.

• Like 1

I used to routinely cry at the end of "It's a Wonderful Life." Every time. Then I didn't anymore.

I cried like a baby IN THE THEATER at the montage scene in "Up." Some asshole said "is someone crying?" and I nearly yelled "fuck you pal, it's my movie and I'll cry if I want to."

"Kitty"

• Like 1

"Kitty"

I see it and raise you "Superman".

• Like 4

I'm not a big cryer, but if your heart doesn't hurt a little at the funeral in My Girl when Anna Chlumsky breaks down about Macauley Caulkin missing his glasses you are missing a chromosome or two.

• Like 2

Brian's Song always does my dad in.

As for me, I am old and sentimental so I am an easy target.

My List:

- Gladiator.  The scene where everyone carries Maximus's body out of the Coloseum.

- Grave of the Fireflies...

- The Last Samurai when Algren helps Katsumoto commit seppuku on the battlefield.  I couldn't look at a cherry blossom for days without getting misty.

- The Pursuit of Happyness when Chris is finally offered a job.

- The Green Mile when John refuses to be executed with a hood on because he is afraid of the dark.

- The Iron Giant. I am not a gun...

Since becoming a dad, it doesn't take much to "raise the dust level in the room." However, one that always gets me is the Van Gogh episode of Doctor Who. The final scene where the Doctor and Amy bring him forward in time to a museum to see his impact and the relevance of his art.

Yup....that'll do it.

Since becoming a dad, it doesn't take much to "raise the dust level in the room." However, one that always gets me is the Van Gogh episode of Doctor Who. The final scene where the Doctor and Amy bring him forward in time to a museum to see his impact and the relevance of his art.

Yup....that'll do it.

I watched that episode with a friend.  When Amy hears that Van Gogh still committed suicide even after their adventure and she begins to tear up, that was it for that dude.

• Like 1

"Kitty"

I may tear up if I continue thinking about that.

• Like 1

I could probably list a few, but the two that absolutely wrecked me in recent years were:

The last ten minutes of Six Feet Under.

The BIG reveal in Dear Zachary (if there is a moment on camera that can bring about every negative emotion possible, this may be it).

• Like 1

The BIG reveal in Dear Zachary (if there is a moment on camera that can bring about every negative emotion possible, this may be it).

I didn't cry at that, but I did get an adrenaline surge.  It's like a nightmare come to life.

The only crying story that comes to mind for me is when I saw 50/50 in the theatre with two female friends.  The part where JGL starts freaking out right when they're wheeling him in to surgery, all three of us started crying virtually at the same time.  I'm sure I just got hit with some sort of estrogen spillover.

Yup....that'll do it.

I watched that episode with a friend.  When Amy hears that Van Gough still committed suicide even after their adventure and she begins to tear up, that was it for that dude.

Add in Tenant's final scene " I don't want to go" and when those damn angels get amy and rory. . . 

• Like 2

I forgot that "embarassing" was the key criteria.

Then I maintain that my daughter giggling after catching a tear streaming down my cheek during "Do You Want To Build A Snowman?" from Frozen was not my best moment as a father.

My brother and I teased my father mercilessly when we caught him bawling his eyes out during the last scene of Best of the Best when the Korean Tae Kwon Do team hands their medals over to the Americans... then my dad beat the shit out of us.