DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 12/13 - 12/19/2023 - Winter is Coming... Quick, Look Busy!

Dolfan in NYC

5 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I'm not sure this is right. If Mox and Rush win, then second place is another rock-paper-scissors unresolvable tie between White, Rush, and Swerve, isn't it?

You're right. I was thinking White and Swerve would be tied with Swerve getting the tiebreak, and missed that this would put Rush even with them on points.

• Like 1

What on Earth was the "Big Billy Starks" taunt? Is the entire joke that that is also the name of a female wrestler? Haha, you have the same name as a woman? Is that really it? Or is there something else to it that I'm not aware of?

I haven't watched the last 3-4 weeks of Dynamite (any AEW really), as I'm completely out on the Devil stuff and have no interest in the CC and the shows are basically built around itwith everything else kind of on pause until it ends and I tuned in tonight and only caught the Golden Jets/Bill Starks things and I'm probably not going to watch anymore.

• Like 1

Andrade/Brody was awesome and as much as I wanted Brody to win I'm fine with the finish. Andrade looked like he was genuinely struggling and his win looked earned.

Hangman/Roddy was what it was. Joe's promo was great as is most things he does.

They've done Mark dirty from the get-go and especially in this tournament. I get he was injured for a while, but the guy is such a good character in addition to great in the ring and deserved to get at least one win in this whole thing.

Speaking of Ruby, it was obvious she was going to lose here but I'd like to see her get more time and a win at some point. I can't take Riho seriously.

The segment between Bill/Starks and the Golden Jets was rough. The "soft" comment towards Bill was fine, but bringing up Enzo just came off as cheap heat and wasn't even funny. As good as Starks is, they seem bound and determined to bury him.

Mox/Swerve goes over because of course it does. Moxley didn't need to be in the tournament in the first place and didn't need to win here.

• Like 3

I wanted to love Swerve/Mox but then it fell apart for me at the end. Mox going for a chair in this points-based setting was just bad psychology from a guy who is cast as a thinking man’s brawler. Just a few moments before Mox was encouraging a countout win. Mox sitting up for the stomp and doing the “no no no” wave was pretty bad. Then Swerve’s shoulder closest to the camera was up — felt like they positioned wrong or were expecting a different camera angle. I can forgive an iffy roll-up on the camera angle (shit happens) but the introduction of the chair was really silly. 

But still a great way to showcase Swerve as that dude. Mox is the ace of the promotion and Swerve gave him all he could. 

• Like 2

I think it's a testament to Starks' ability to promo off the cuff that he's flustered guys like Copeland, Jericho and Omega in the last few weeks. I've said it before, and I'll continue to shout it from the rooftops; build around Ricky Starks. Pay him. Strap him up. Make him the face of the company. 

This show had a large percentage of "my guys" on it. Starks, Large William, Mox, Andrade, Rush, Swerve, et al. All it was missing from my perspective was Wheeler Yuta and Eddie Kingston. I thought the matches were all pretty good, but there was some rough mic work. Samoa Joe/Hangman Page would be the "kick seven shades of shit out of each other" feud I didn't know I wanted. 

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

They've done Mark dirty from the get-go and especially in this tournament. I get he was injured for a while, but the guy is such a good character in addition to great in the ring and deserved to get at least one win in this whole thing.

Beyond doing Mark dirty it's massively fumbling a hugely over babyface with a sympathetic personal tragedy by treating him like he was Jay Lethal or something.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I normally don't comment on specific shows(positive or negative) but I just came on here to say that that Jericho/Omega/Starks/Bill back-and-forth was one of the worst goddamned segments I've ever seen in my life. Generally I don't mind when talent get to come up with their own stuff. This was an instance of the complete opposite.

Also, @humanchessgame already alluded to it above but I'm irrationally pissed off that Mark Briscoe somehow can't earn or doesn't deserve a single win in this tournament. It's bullshit and this whole Classic has been the same non-fresh win/loss booking that AEW has been notorious for for years now. These are supposed to be 12 of the best wrestlers in your company. There's absolutely zero reason AT ALL(whether you look at it in kayfabe or if it was "real" sports) that any of the 12 would realistically go 5-0 or 0-5.

• Like 2

doing the "you're crotched on the top rope and I'm moving the rope up and down" spot with the ring apron was interesting.. in theory the ref wouldn't be able to clearly see what was happening either so that's an advantage on just running your opponent's balls into a solid object in front of the ref

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Peck said:

These are supposed to be 12 of the best wrestlers in your company.

Hot take incoming, but if this was remotely true then Mark Briscoe, Daniel Garcia, Jay Lethal, and Brody King wouldn’t be in this.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

Hangman had his first match post-Texas Death tonight. Omega had his first match post-Bucks #1 contender match last Saturday.

Hangman being in the opposite league of Swerve would’ve continued their program, which they’re already hinting at. Not like Omega couldn't fail to get to the finals but then Jericho cashes in their tag title shot (or does it, and the stress of potentially working two matches in a night gets to Omega and causes him to start losing matches?)

That would’ve eliminated two of the three (keep Brody because Brody is awesome either way).

Good/great in ring stuff this week.

The Golden Jets promo was a few minutes too long. Not a fan of the "comedy" in the segment.

LOVED the Andrade/Brody finish. A totally unique but believable ending that put Andrade over while at the same time keeping Brody strong. 

⬆️ liked by the one and only Coach Tony K 😁

Edited by Infinit
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, Peck said:

There's absolutely zero reason AT ALL(whether you look at it in kayfabe or if it was "real" sports) that any of the 12 would realistically go 5-0 or 0-5.

It absolutely happens in real sports. Real Madrid and Man City just closed out their Champion's League "blocks" at 6-0-0. I'm a sumo fan who watched Hakuho go 15-0 half a dozen times (out of his career 16 perfect tournaments out of 70 competed in as yokozuna, which admittedly is nuts)

They set up Briscoe and Lethal coming in at 0 so that their upcoming match actually has stakes. Didn't most of us watch Honma-mania?

• Like 5

Brody has been the most inspired choice for the tournament because he has the two most surprising results and they both made sense.

Didn't mind Swerve getting screwed, it just sets up his revenge tour down the stretch.

The tag title setup was indeed one of the worst segments in Dynamite history. Kinda get the feeling everybody involved was like "Yeah, yeah, we'll just go out and wing it" and then they all got caught with their pants down as everyone was going in wildly different directions. Kenny had some ok lines, but his delivery was way off. Jericho's material was some of his worst ever. Ricky thinks he can do these free-form roasts, but he can't. All he ever has is hoping the other person drops the ball so he can say "ha, didn't get a pop for that one, did ya?" Bill just stood there looking like idiot after months of rehabbing as a serious threat.

How about, Jericho's pissed because they tried to break his arm, Kenny wants gold, and Ricky/Bill are outwardly cocky but low-key scared the Jets could be better at the "2 singles guys go for the tag titles" thing? No need for cutesy roasts, just tell a damn pro wrestling story.

• Like 6

Awesome fun night of action.  Liked the Joe/Hangman/Roderick opening. "SAMOAAAAAA..... Joe"  leading directly in to Hangman vs Roderick for a hot start.

Andrade/Brody was epic, great win for Andrade.  Love to see a great win for Rush as well, looking like a killer in his quick win.

I was hoping Mark would pull the upset to finally get a win in the arena of the final Briscoes ROH tag. It's weird that outside of the Joe match at Supercard, Mark didn't lose this year ever until last month and suddenly loses 5 straight.

Riho always delivers and the main event ruled with a hot crowd and surprisingly no blood. I'm guessing they Mox & Swerve will rematch.

Also the Von Erichs! Would like to see them stick around after this.

• Like 3

Jericho is the worst.

One thing I can never understand about AEW and their YouTube channel is that instead of posting snippets of segments or matches they post the WHOLE thing. What entices people to watch Dynamite live or even attend if you know you can watch more or less the whole show an hour after??

Edited by peterien
  • Like 1

Hangman vs Strong was certainly good enough, nice to see Dead Eye being able to end matches again. Strong did try to make a point to Joe earlier, but Joe was only proved wrong at the very end (was that real glass, btw). This didn't prove Roddy right, though.

Andrade vs Brody was every bit as good as expected. Somewhat surprising that Andrade is now the front runner, but that means Claudio absolutely has to beat him on Saturday, or he's pretty much taking this league.

Ruby vs Riho was definitely ok, Toni was good on commentary, the match should be at least ok at World's End, but nothing too exciting.

Rush destroyed Lethal, only to be beaten by math when White got past Briscoe in a much better match.

During Winnipeg Jets vs Absolute Big Assholes promo battle, I too was thinking "this is going pretty terribly, isn't it?" Hopefully the match will make up for this abomination!

Mox vs Swerve was definitely a good match, but I was not into it all that much. Mox winning was actually surprising, but not necessarily in a good way. I don't know which is worse, him going 5-0 or going 4-1 with White being the only one to beat him? He still may likely lose the semi-finals even if he goes 5-0, though.

Yeah, now for the first time I absolutely saw one of the terrorists being bigger than others. Compared to Hangman, yeah it is absolutely plausible for it to be Wardlow, but then The Devil being MJF would be very stupid. Well, I mean stupid if you are Wardlow. Why on earth would he realign with the World Champion who he absolutely crushed the only time they faced each other? If I'm MJF, I'm promising this guy anything he wants, as long as I don't have to face him again!

• Like 1

That segment was probably the worst in AEW history from a perspective that those responsible should know better. Self indulgent and awful. At least the Brandi/Lambert segment was entertaining.

I miss Dan Lambert.

Women's match was sad to watch as Ruby just ends up a massive afterthought in a segment they could have done so much more with (nothing for Ang or Saraya? The refusal to properly acknowledge that they were a team like two months ago other than awkwardly handwave it away on commentary), instead it came off like their usual weekly ugh women take it or leave segment.

Mox flipping off Paul Turner post match almost made me think there was a screwed up finish. It was an interesting choice to have Swerve drop one here while he's hot but I assume he gets his win back in the semi.

The devil stuff feels like they're already setting up blood and guts (Acclaimed, Hangman on one side, the Devil and his goons on the other, MJF, Joe, Cole, Kingdom lurking around). Please don't be Jack Perry.

Right call made on no real Christian/Edge followup this week.

• Like 1

I thought most of the show was good last night. But I was honestly annoyed that Swerve lost that match. He would have won. Moxley didn't need to win nor does he need to win his bracket.

Also sucks that Mark Briscoe didn't have one damn point.

Andrade vs Brody was good thought so it wasn't so bad.

I sometimes wonder what the hell Tony is thinking.

Edited by Phantom Lord
  • Like 1

Let’s be honest and it’s sad to say, AEW is literally the definition of over saturated and unfocused right now. They’ve clearly been making it up as they go since Brawl out and even more so since they lucked into MJF and Cole getting over as a duo. Any lull in proceedings prompts another tournament or a new belt and TK clearly books matches based on whatever dream he managed to squeeze out of his latest 20 minutes kip. In short, meandering through several weeks of TV to get to a bunch of 4* matches on PPV ain’t cutting it.  

• Like 3