DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 11/1 - 11/7/2023 - To Beat The Devil

Dolfan in NYC

On 11/3/2023 at 8:50 AM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

May I vent for a moment?

You know, there's probably plenty of valid criticisms to make about this show (even though again, I thought it was a good one, but I see I'm in the minority there, which is cool by me) - but i'm pretty irritated watching Alvarez and Sempervieve talk about "Why would MJF *suddenly* team with the Acclaimed without explanation?" - it's like they entirely missed the fact that the story was they were his last resort, and there was a show-long angle about it.

Again, probably plenty of legit things one could take issue with on this show (which I would of course be willing to entertain, and I think we've had a couple good conversations here about it so far) but shit like that really annoys me - perfect example of why nothing in wrestling can ever be subtle, it's always gotta be a beating-over-the-head with story beats. Nothing can breathe or just be a little moment, lest someone like these guys miss it entirely. Its obviously a tiny sample size but something like that almost, in a way, proves WWE's hand-holding, constant-replay mentality right

Yeah this is one of the few show-long storyline angles they've done a good job of selling, and Max Caster has had this one-sided, unrequited love for MJF for a long time.

• Like 3

I missed the last couple days so I'm skipping ahead. After about the halfway point of Collision everything got super fun. Emi/Willow is a match that needs to be ran through two or three more times, ending in a death match like KAORU/Aja Kong. Putting Mark Briscoe with Dustin Rhodes and Keith Lee was such a WAR move from Coach Tony that Dean would have wept. And on top of that he put them against Sabien and the Workhorsemen, jobbers extrordinaire. Beautiful. And then at the end we get a taste of what has to be a big time main event, Ricky Starks versus ROOSH. First half of the show (sorry Jake, but you sounded awful -- and Fox, please remember to sell and not just get up and play to the crowd when you get kicked in the stomach) wasn't the best but that second half was right in the sweet spot. 

• Like 4

How do you have Dalton and Caster in the ring together and not let Dalton have a go on the mic? A quick back and forth setting up something for next week would have meant so much more for that match.

A moment for how fucking dope Dralistico looked tonight

OKAY! Really liked Fox interrupting Swerve's pre show vid to lead right into the match, which was cool. I didn't watch Lucha Underground so don't really know too much about /that/ match they had. Just feels like Fox is a little lost storyline wise now since getting kicked out of Mogul Embassy.

MARK BRISCOE! DUSTIN! KEITH LEE!

.... KEITH LEE VS. SAMOA JOE!!!!

• Like 2

Fox vs Swerve, Darby vs Archer, Emi vs Willow and the main were great. Samoa Joe vs Keith Lee is going to happen and one of the jobbers in the Kingdom squash literally had my first and middle name thereby making this the best episode of any pro wrestling show ever. Sorry Mid South with the Flair-DiBiase-Murdoch angle, you've been replaced.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Nineteen said:

KEITH LEE VS. SAMOA JOE!!!!

Oh god I forgot about that. MEAT SLAPPIN!

Speaking of which -- Dalton and the boys (hardcore, Limp Wrist-listening, glory hole seeking) versus the Acclaimed (are we okay to be in a presidential photo-op?) is a snarky little feud for a wrestling show. Good job.

• Like 1

I won't get to most of Collision until tomorrow, but between that and Dynamite, it's really the strength of the AEW roster, model, and mentality.

Within a show or two they can put together cards and feuds that I'm really into. Acclaimed vs Castle and the Boys, for instance. I'm into everything on Dynamite, even Swerve vs Penta just to see who can get off their cool power slam variation (Swerve did his from a power bomb position in one fluid motion tonight and it was awesome). And it's all stuff that basically came out of nowhere. Would it all be better with build? I mean, maybe, but this is a show on the road to a PPV in a few weeks. They'll weave the build into those other matches as part of this and hopefully take the guys not featured and heat them up in the months to come. There's been so much doomsaying lately, but AEW can always do this out of nowhere because the promotion is about wrestling matches for the most part and because the roster is so deep and because wrestling matches are inherently awesome.

• Like 6

Swerve/Fox is always good and the way the match kicked off was a nice way to jump start the program.

I would much rather have had some nice back and forth on the mic between Castle and The Acclaimed instead of that embarrassing bit they did beforehand. Some of the audience may think it's funny but it just reminded me of more of DX's lamer bullshit.

Archer is AEW's Kane in that he's a big guy they can heat up when they need to get an underdog face over. This reminded me of CM Punk/Wardlow where Darby got murdered most of the match but found a way to sneak out a win. The way Darby always uses his body as cannon fodder trying to take out his opponent in the process worked really well here.

Jay Briscoe is back being awesome and all is right.

• Like 2

I've never been big on the Righteous but putting Jake the Snake with them, my immediate thought was that's definitely one way to make things more interesting and seems like a potential great fit. Loved the line that Jake is "building an army", definitely down for a stable here with Archer.

Skye telling Statlander off and clarifying that she only likes Willow was hilarious.   Dalton randomly trying to break the Acclaimed's trophy felt weirdly heelish/out of character. Emi/Willow was good stuff again, always glad to see Emi in these kind of matches even if she never wins. 

Fun main event, especially great to see RUSH back in action again, I'd missed him. Dug the ending chaos with the 4 teams in the main event, then having House of Black interrupt things, then BCC getting involved. Awesome. 

Joe vs Keith, yes please. Next week looks pretty stacked; the return of Red Velvet! plus Jay White vs Mark Briscoe, MJF/Garcia.  Great stuff to look forward to. 

• Like 4

Emi/Willow might have been my favorite match of the week (and we were late on Rampage, so we did a back-to-back - I thought *for sure* no one was topping Vikingo/Komander/Penta, that was every bit of the chaos I wanted/expected - lots of clenching on those apron spots). If you needed any convincing that Emi is an all-timer (for example, if you're legally blind) look no further than how she and Willow grabbed the crowd in this one - they went from silence for the first ~5 minutes, to the crowd gasping like death for her third crossbody (the one in the corner). Real good shit.

• Like 1

So ... is Stu Grayson still part of the Righteous or not? He was there when they were feuding with DO, but he wasn't seen or mentioned during the mini-feud with MJF, and he wasn't seen or referred to when his "Ice Cream Men" buddies joined forces with Jake and Archer. Is he stuck in Canada?

26 minutes ago, colonial said:

So ... is Stu Grayson still part of the Righteous or not? He was there when they were feuding with DO, but he wasn't seen or mentioned during the mini-feud with MJF, and he wasn't seen or referred to when his "Ice Cream Men" buddies joined forces with Jake and Archer. Is he stuck in Canada?

Stu hasn't been seen on AEW or ROH TV since the end of July so signs point to Canadian Exile.

I have thoughts about that Collision, not many that are good, but I primarily want to say please get these fucking ROH rejects from the periods of ROH I hate the most, the Righteous and Dalton Castle, off of AEW TV. No one gives a shit about Great Value Wyatt Family. Sticking Jake who only has half a voice with them isn’t going to suddenly make them not suck. Dalton Castle and the boys are also total channel changers. In fact, it’s getting to be a channel changer every time the Acclaimed have an extremely long segment or celebration that then turns into a match. 

This shit was like watching TNA at times. I know some of y’all like these ROH dorks, but I just think they all suck. 

Love whenever Dalton Castle shows up, but wish that he had just come out to challenge the Acclaimed to set up a program, rather than just jumping straight to the match. Even with the trios titles, the Acclaimed have been treading water since losing the tag team belts, a month or two long feud with Dalton and the Boys could have been a lot of fun. Dalton is one of those wrestlers that I don't think Tony really sees what he has. He manages to get over every time he comes out and has such a great entrance for TV. That post-match backstage interview with Lexy should have absolutely been on TV.

• Like 1

I’m behind and just finished Rampage. My YouTube TV decided to show me their version instead of the DVR, which meant I didn’t get to see any PiP action.

Lucha match was fun with some wild high spots, even if the outcome was never in doubt. Next year Dia de Los Muertos is on a Saturday, maybe they can book a special lucha special as part of Collision, or request an extra hour from TBS/TNT for it. Have a true lucha rules 2/3 falls trios match and an apuestas (hair vs. belt or hair vs. hair, no needless unmasking like WCW).

Sydal and Daniels are a good veteran hands gatekeeper team. I don’t watch ROH but I think they’re regulars there, right? It gets confusing what with the main belts other than the women’s belt being held by AEW regulars and mostly defended on AEW tv (and I wish we could see more Athena title matches on AEW tv). Being part of BCG has been huge for The Gunns.

Skye-Shafir was easily the best Shafir match ever. Like most of her matches, some awkward throws that make things seem more like a shoot. I also noticed she takes a lot of bumps judo style, rolling through instead of flat backed. Anyway, Skye was stiff, through in some new stuff, and I always like to see a shotgun dropkick. I think I like the idea that the most brought out her aggressive side without having her go full spooky *****.

Main was two of the top 15 or so wrestlers in AEW just going at it and I loved it! My only quibble is that the house-style forearm exchange felt out of place in the flow of the match. Garcia calling out MJF, huh? Interesting. I also liked how he used the dance set-up as bait to lure Trent in.

• Like 1

I'm glad they brought back the setup promos for the opening.  Swerve getting jumped was the kind of thing it's really nice to see once in a while.  As much as they've wrestled I'm not crazy about the Fox/Swerve matchup because Swerve needs somebody who can really sell his stuff and Fox doesn't really sell, at least not effectively.

The Acclaimed stuff went on too long to not let Dalton Castle talk.  I would have been into an Acclaimed/Castle mini-feud.

The Briscoe six-man felt very made for me, personally.  Give us a Dustin/JD Drake singles match, dammit. 

Big Bill has turned into a really good apron guy.  He really clicks playing off of Starks' stuff.  

Willow/Emi was predictably great.  Bless the two people that were trying to hold up the "Let's go Emi" chant.

Motivated Rush is such a goddamn force of nature.  Give him the International title or something; he's too good to be stuck in a tag team feud.

I bet Brody King/Wheeler Yuta would be king shit.

• Like 3