DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 11/1 - 11/7/2023 - To Beat The Devil

Dolfan in NYC

10 hours ago, username said:

I hope now that the payoff happened this MJF/Acclaimed thing can go away as Max Castor basically being a creep/borderline sexual harasser is something I'd rather not be a thing any longer.

I'm probably not the person to say this given my personal demographics (straight as a slightly crooked arrow!) but I kinda find it refreshing, maybe important? to tell an unrequited love story between two dudes. I thought the way they framed it made for sort of an interesting, yin/yang companion piece to the Golden Lovers' story. Idk, you probably gotta ask a gay guy, honestly - I could be way off base and the whole thing was offensive as shit - but my read on it was more 'Oh hey, look at that, all normalized. That's a nice thing.' Like I understand your point about the creep factor, but I also think it's done in sort of tongue and cheek ball busting way, where say it were a man and a woman, it wouldn't be entirely out of place in an '80s teen romcom.

Shit, if we don't get Caster holding a boom box outside MJF's window, what are we even doing here??

(Also, this should go without saying, but just in case: none of the above was meant to offend - if I've said *anything* off base here, or stepped on any toes, it was completely unintentional, and I welcome a correction).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm probably not the person to say this given my personal demographics (straight as a slightly crooked arrow!) but I kinda find it refreshing, maybe important? to tell an unrequited love story between two dudes. I thought the way they framed it made for sort of an interesting, yin/yang companion piece to the Golden Lovers' story. Idk, you probably gotta ask a gay guy, honestly - I could be way off base and the whole thing was offensive as shit - but my read on it was more 'Oh hey, look at that, all normalized. That's a nice thing.' Like I understand your point about the creep factor, but I also think it's done in sort of tongue and cheek ball busting way, where say it were a man and a woman, it wouldn't be entirely out of place in an '80s teen romcom.

Shit, if we don't get Caster holding a boom box outside MJF's window, what are we even doing here??

(Also, this should go without saying, but just in case: none of the above was meant to offend - if I've said *anything* off base here, or stepped on any toes, it was completely unintentional, and I welcome a correction).

I mean...

MJF has said no. He's not interested. To continue to press in the way they've been doing it, where Caster's coming off like a stalker since he's always where MJF is present, is creepy.

I'm not sure why not respecting consent is seen as romantic (and yes, I see most 1980s teen romcoms as creepy), but there's ways to do an unrequited love story that doesn't involve "I'm always going to be where you are until you say yes".

• Like 2

I thought last night's episode was good as usual. I'm looking forward to Orange Cassidy/Moxley 2 at the PPV after last night. Cassidy sure can take a beating.

The main event was fun. I agree that Max Castor is coming off like a stalker/obsessed fanboy with MJF. But, I think the ending with them scissoring was a nice touch and a growth in the character of MJF where he would never be caught doing such a thing before.

Yeah, conceptually the idea of a wrestler getting a lil crush on another wrestler and not knowing how not to be weird about it isn't a bad idea but the execution has missed the mark.  The best part has been Billy and Bowen getting increasingly exasperated with Max acting like a weirdo. 

"Dammit, Max, we hid back here for nothing!" was a hell of a delivery.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

I mean...

MJF has said no. He's not interested. To continue to press in the way they've been doing it, where Caster's coming off like a stalker since he's always where MJF is present, is creepy.

I'm not sure why not respecting consent is seen as romantic (and yes, I see most 1980s teen romcoms as creepy), but there's ways to do an unrequited love story that doesn't involve "I'm always going to be where you are until you say yes".

I can get behind that. You make a good point about those movies - I guess there has been a bit of a sensibility shift since that era about (for lack of a better term) 'persistence' in that way. In retrospect, I'm not sure if those are the best example for me to use, but I didn't really have a better way of illustrating or articulating the idea that it came across to me more 'cute' than creepy? Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I saw him more as like, an obsessed puppy, than anything creepy or threatening.

Then again, I'm a dude, so I have a little privilege in that way - as a woman, you've likely had to live through 'creep' situations hundreds of times more than I - so I'm sure that kind of limits my perspective a little on this one

The overarching point I wanted to make though, is that I don't think the tone was at all intended as anything nefarious - YMMV on if they succeeded there, obviously

I took it as Caster kept screwing over his team because of his obsession with MJF.  If he tried to be chill and the team as a whole presented their case it might have been easier for the four to team up.  But every time they tried Caster would screw it up hence the weeks-long delay.  If Bowens and Gunn were on board with what he was doing it would have read differently but I think after this it should move on well enough.  I'm sure MJF will keep telling Caster to stop (which granted doesn't take out the creepiness of it all)  But at least they'll work together leading up to the title match which is progress.

And much like Zakk if I read this wrong then I too apologize.  I'm just thinking out loud and hoping I know what I'm talking about.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 3:14 PM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

If you've never flipped a beer pong table at the moment 1 AM turns to 1 AM again while wearing an offensive pun-based costume and yelling about being a time traveler, are you truly even American?

Well, actually...

Anyway, about the episode:

Opener was excellent, counter into the giantswing was ace! The post match was awkward. I thought fora second that Claudio was going to attack Moxley for some reason. OC vs Mox 2 will probably not dissapoint.

Glad that Cage, Bishop and Toa got their belts back. Hangman Swerve 2 should kick ass. I thought it would be a Texas Death Match, though.

The MJF segments throughout the show were really good character development. He also had the opportunity to team with the biggest slimeballs around, and he eventually chose to swallow his pride and team with The Assclaimed instead. Yet, he still hates Darby, and is scared of Joe and Wardlow. And Jericho still hates him. All good stuff.

Paul Wight cold-cocking Fletscher was hilarious. In a street fight, Jericho and co should just keep throwing Callis Family members at him, so he can keep intercepting them with punches mid-air!

Shida vs Willow got intense by the end. Yeah, Willow seemingly fought off the mist, and Skye Blue is embracing it in a different way that Julia expected. Timeless Toni will be the champion, though.

Jay pinning MJF was huge for him, but MJF still won by growing as a human once again, after the match. Both Gunns are slowly but surely starting to show their father's "genetics", physique wise.

Copeland is pandering a bit, no? Well, at least he's ready to fight Christian Cage now!

Did I see a member of this message board in the crowd, there? Someone looked familar! Was anyone there in person?

Edited by Shartnado
Oh yeah, the show!
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm too busy for a big write-up today (Road Report would suck anyway, we ate McDonalds before the show and drove straight home and went to bed after), but some highlights....

Pretty cool that Orange made a point to hop down off the ramp to give Harrison a high five (or whatever you call Orange's lazy version of it). He made a point to come over to him in Lexington a couple months ago, too. Pretty cool that it showed up on the broadcast this time.

After Copeland's segment, he came over to Har for a high five and gave him a little head pat. It was really sweet. Har's been watching all these WWE videos on YouTube made by randoms, and I guess he saw something that really built Edge up as a legend, so he was SUPER excited he was even on the show.

Biggest disappointment of the night was that Penta didn't come over to him. That three-way match for Rampage was exactly what you'd think a three-way with those three would look like. So, your mileage may vary.

It was a fun show live. Place wasn't super-packed, but the crowd had energy. People were even into the last match of the Rampage taping (Garcia/Trent). Watched a bit of Dynamite this morning, and we could see ourselves a few times. I'm wearing a pink Bret Hart shirt, so it stood out a bit.

I was feeling guilty on the way home for keeping him up so late on a school night. We didn't get home until almost midnight. But, on our way home, he said, "That was like the best day I've ever had!" It made me realize that one day at school being a little tired is nothing compared to seeing something he may remember fondly for the rest of his life.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

The MJF through line of the episode felt very 'early-aughts WWE' to me. I really like that they're doing show-long angles and leaning on their best talents to do it but they've picked up WWE's reality TV style of shooting that kind of takes me out of it

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

The MJF through line of the episode felt very 'early-aughts WWE' to me. I really like that they're doing show-long angles and leaning on their best talents to do it but they've picked up WWE's reality TV style of shooting that kind of takes me out of it

I'm going back and re-watching all the Dynamites from the beginning and it is genuinely shocking how much shittier the production is now, especially for backstage stuff.  They were actually doing interesting things with lighting and framing and depth of focus that they don't even attempt anymore.

The sound mixing has always been ass, though.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

That was how I saw the Swerve home invasion last week.

It's possible there might be a bit of people in AEW thinking the WWE's problem in the 2010s was Vince limiting how far the 2000s/2010s WWE could go with certain things. Which I guess could happen with enough 2000s/2010s WWE people in the promotion.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

That was how I saw the Swerve home invasion last week.

It's possible there might be a bit of people in AEW thinking the WWE's problem in the 2010s was Vince limiting how far the 2000s/2010s WWE could go with certain things. Which I guess could happen with enough 2000s/2010s WWE people in the promotion.

Ruthless Aggression but ruthless-er

Maybe Mansury is pushing things this way too

I mean Paul Wight's knees were visually shot to hell... five years back now? I recall him coming back at some point on Raw, wincing having to walk up the stairs to the ring and audibly yelping in pain when grabbed for a double powerbomb when he was up on the second rope not because of the impact but because of his legs having to bend more than he likely expected. I likely mentioned it on that weeks' Raw topic on this board, I don't know why multiple promotions now keep putting him out there but they really shouldn't, he's done his time.

opening Dynamite by showing MJF/Omega from Collision kinda sorta felt familiar to me after spending time watching JCP episodes of World Championship Wrestling (obviously other promotions have opened like that in the last 35 years)... but for the full JCP experience, there would have been clips but less of them, or they could have went Mid-Atlantic and opened Dynamite with a match in progress

I am digging Orange Cassidy being a thinking man's wrestler, learning from past defeats, and developing counters.  Normally I hate babyfaces pulling wins out of their asses after being dominated for nearly the entire match, but in this case it is different. 

Put some spotlight on Claudio so that he can show off and display his redonkulous power and also show the folks why OC will only win this match by wrestling smart because he has a snowball's chance in Hell of matching might with Claudio.

Observe, Analyze, Strategize, Execute, Exploit, Win.  OC is wrestling like a champion holding a title worthy of defending.

Anything that leads to a Young Bucks heel turn is a good thing.  Anything that leads to a Young Bucks tag-team title run, not so much.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4