DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCTOBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

49 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

I really like that you feel that way about it. To me, it was one of the very few times that a technical wrestling match actually lived up to expectations. It was mostly due to how quickly both men were trying to get OUT of every hold and had counters to basically anything. That's what I want. Fuck restholds with nothing happening, try to get out of everything immediately, if the holds hurt as much as they are supposed to, within wrestling logic.

And also trying to find parts to hurt. I loved Sabre kicking Danielson's arms out when he was trying to arch back for a submission. Grabbing for fingers, punching at knees. All of it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Has Bryan had a match with Casas yet?

No. This one actually should be the easiest to make happen as Casas is in AAA now. 

3 hours ago, Log said:

Let me see if I have this straight:

Mistico (who is facing Romero on Rampage) is the original Mistico from Mexico that we all went nuts for around 2006. He went to WWE as Sin Cara.

Dralistico is the guy that became Mistico in Mexico when the original Mistico left for WWE.

Hunico is the guy that became Sin Cara in WWE when the original Mistico left WWE to go back to Mexico.

I feel like there's a fourth Mistico I'm missing here. Was there one that got the name after Dralistico in Mexico?

So Hunico is technically the original Mistico. He just wasn't the one who became a big deal in the mid 2000s in CMLL. CMLL/Paco Alonso owned the rights to the name so Hunico changed his name to Mistico de Juarez to differentiate and later Incognito when CMLL's original Mistico started getting big. That was why it was always so funny to some when he took over the SIn Cara mask in WWE.

The Mistico coming in is the original CMLL version. Also known as SIn Cara in WWE.

Dralistico is Mistico II.

There isn't a fourth version technically though there is a Myzteziz Jr. which is what the CMLL Mistico went by when he was working AAA.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JLowe said:

And also trying to find parts to hurt. I loved Sabre kicking Danielson's arms out when he was trying to arch back for a submission. Grabbing for fingers, punching at knees. All of it.

And more than one body part. Find several weaknesses to exploit and move from one to the next when the opportunity presents itself! It was beautiful!

• Like 2

That match was so good I really don't want to watch it back.  It just felt so perfect in the moment that I want to hold onto that sheer excitement I had watching it for the first time.  Yeah, it'd be neat to see again and maybe years later I'll consider it.  But I was just a giddy motherfucking watching it and would prefer to have those memories be just from that one time.  It sounds odd because it is but the only other match that had me this way was Danielson/Suzuki which was motherfucking HUGE to me.  I was practically pacing around the room in excitement and felt like I could have ran through a wall.  But yeah to your points the Danielson/ZSJ match far exceeded the hype and Mox sitting back going "Holy shit!" is the absolutely perfect reaction to that match.

I think the only way it could get better is if they have the next match in New Japan and there's a submission finish.  I believe that's what they're going for whenever it happens but being so used to trilogies ending I am glad with them going to a fourth one.  I would be quite fine with ZSJ winning that via submission to not only even the series but also have it be a "passing of the torch" moment.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

On 10/12/2023 at 5:05 PM, Octopus said:

Ugh. I’m gonna say it. Danielson vs Sabre jr is maybe my favorite match of all time. I know I know. Normally I’m harder to derp recency bias, but hot dang I’m still really enjoying thinking about and watching this match.

3 hours ago, Leonidas said:

Both BD vs ZSJ and again vs Swerve, I had to physically stop watching the show and go have a break for 20 minutes to just decompress from the awesomeness of those two matches. We are eating so good right now I feel like a wrestling GLUTTON.

2 hours ago, Shartnado said:

I really like that you feel that way about it. To me, it was one of the very few times that a technical wrestling match actually lived up to expectations. It was mostly due to how quickly both men were trying to get OUT of every hold and had counters to basically anything. That's what I want. Fuck restholds with nothing happening, try to get out of everything immediately, if the holds hurt as much as they are supposed to, within wrestling logic.

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

And more than one body part. Find several weaknesses to exploit and move from one to the next when the opportunity presents itself! It was beautiful!

22 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

That match was so good I really don't want to watch it back.  It just felt so perfect in the moment that I want to hold onto that sheer excitement I had watching it for the first time.  Yeah, it'd be neat to see again and maybe years later I'll consider it.  But I was just a giddy motherfucking watching it and would prefer to have those memories be just from that one time.  It sounds odd because it is but the only other match that had me this way was Danielson/Suzuki which was motherfucking HUGE to me.  I was practically pacing around the room in excitement and felt like I could have ran through a wall.  But yeah to your points the Danielson/ZSJ match far exceeded the hype and Mox sitting back going "Holy shit!" is the absolutely perfect reaction to that match.

I think the only way it could get better is if they have the next match in New Japan and there's a submission finish.  I believe that's what they're going for whenever it happens but being so used to trilogies ending I am glad with them going to a fourth one.  I would be quite fine with ZSJ winning that via submission to not only even the series but also have it be a "passing of the torch" moment.

Echo all this. Loved Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr from AEW WrestleDream 2023. Originally it was supposed to be at AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door 2022 but Danielson got hurt. The wait was worth it. I watched the match twice in one day which I don't normally do. The opening feeling out, ZSJ baiting Bryan into using his right arm with the steel rod in, the submission exchanges going on offence to defence. The fluidity of. My favourite spot was Danielson countering the armbar to a Regal Plex which I've never seen before. Nigel McGuinness' reaction to it was great. Two of the best technical wrestlers of all time making it look effortless. ***** and the 2023 Match of the Year.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Tony needs to tweet that he's got a big announcement for Wednesday now. That's the next step here.

It's been a long week, man. I'm gonna need at least a 'huge' announcement, Eddie Kingston and Jon Moxley addressing their respective enemies, and a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency Suzuki match. And if he's still at it by the time Collision airs, I respectfully request a 2nd Angelico appearance in as many weeks too.

Vince McMahon is a scumbag but he’s at least smart enough not to respond to trolls and act so idiotic on social media. Triple H and Shawn Michaels don’t do it either.

Tony Khan not only embarrassed himself, he embarrassed AEW, the roster, and the AEW fans. He makes it hard to root for when he pulls this crap.

So... I recall all of us watching the Mox/Fenix match in sort of horror and then being told afterwards it wasn't as bad as it looked and was just a "minor concussion". We are approaching a month later and Mox is still not cleared to compete. It reminds me a lot of when Matt Hardy clearly got knocked silly against Sammy, then got cleared in 40 seconds so he could go climb a scaffolding. I think they strongly denied he was concussed and then he mysteriously did not wrestle for two or so months.

Basically whenever AEW tells you "who are you gonna believe, us or your lying eyes" remember that the answer is in fact your eyes.

• Like 1

Okay so just to confuse you even more, I went looking on Hunico's Wikipedia and found this 

Spoiler

On December 17, Arriaga announced that he would be changing his ring name to "Cinta de Oro" ("Golden Ribbon"), to continue the legacy of the original performer of the character who died in 2016. The sons of the original performer gave Arriaga permission to do so, and handed him the last mask worn by their father.

This is in AAA. Who the "original performer" and what character he played is I haven't the slightest. Someone named Ribbon?

55 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Vince McMahon is a scumbag but he’s at least smart enough not to respond to trolls and act so idiotic on social media.

No, he just did it for weeks on HIS OWN FUCKING PROGRAM.

If Twitter had existed in the '90s, Vince probably would have threatened to assassinate a district attorney on Day 2.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It's been a long week, man. I'm gonna need at least a 'huge' announcement, Eddie Kingston and Jon Moxley addressing their respective enemies, and a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency Suzuki match. And if he's still at it by the time Collision airs, I respectfully request a 2nd Angelico appearance in as many weeks too.

Its only a two hour show pal?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Okay so just to confuse you even more, I went looking on Hunico's Wikipedia and found this 

Hide contents

On December 17, Arriaga announced that he would be changing his ring name to "Cinta de Oro" ("Golden Ribbon"), to continue the legacy of the original performer of the character who died in 2016. The sons of the original performer gave Arriaga permission to do so, and handed him the last mask worn by their father.

This is in AAA. Who the "original performer" and what character he played is I haven't the slightest. Someone named Ribbon?

http://www.luchawiki.org/index.php?title=Cinta_de_Oro

Apparently he was Hunico's trainer.

1 hour ago, Dog said:

No, he just did it for weeks on HIS OWN FUCKING PROGRAM.

If Twitter had existed in the '90s, Vince probably would have threatened to assassinate a district attorney on Day 2.

Exactly, and that was dumbass stupid crap and embarrassing. And now Tony Khan is stooping to that level, and it's horrendous. 

The point is, he's been on Twitter since 2013, and he's never pulled it on there. And unfortunately, in this current era, much of what people do is judged by social media. 

I’m pretty sure TK used to (still?) get in Twitter arguments with Fulham and Jags fans. I believe there was an instance of him getting into it with a Jags player after they traded him or something, too.

Ultimately, like, who cares. We don’t work for AEW. I’m not going to pretend to care about any of his Twitter bullshit past the fact that it’s highly entertaining - unintentional or not. Give me more of Snowman Khan calling executives in WWE bald assholes. Sign me up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eivion said:

No. This one actually should be the easiest to make happen as Casas is in AAA now. 

So Hunico is technically the original Mistico. He just wasn't the one who became a big deal in the mid 2000s in CMLL. CMLL/Paco Alonso owned the rights to the name so Hunico changed his name to Mistico de Juarez to differentiate and later Incognito when CMLL's original Mistico started getting big. That was why it was always so funny to some when he took over the SIn Cara mask in WWE.

The Mistico coming in is the original CMLL version. Also known as SIn Cara in WWE.

Dralistico is Mistico II.

There isn't a fourth version technically though there is a Myzteziz Jr. which is what the CMLL Mistico went by when he was working AAA.

I just need to know -

Is the Botchy Sin Cara, Sin Cara Negro, and that Low Rider dude that hung out with Haku's son separate people?