DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCTOBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

was he billed from Florida going back to CZW/ROH? because I could see PA-based promotions not wanting to bill a majority of their roster from east of the Susquehanna River (WWE, seems to be pretty much "we'll just bill you from your actual home area unless there's a gimmick reason not to")

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

was he billed from Florida going back to CZW/ROH? because I could see PA-based promotions not wanting to bill a majority of their roster from east of the Susquehanna River (WWE, seems to be pretty much "we'll just bill you from your actual home area unless there's a gimmick reason not to")

I remember him coming through Samu’s WXW being billed from Panama City, so I’d imagine he’s always had that as his hometown. 

3 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I really want someone to do a satanic gimmick but do it hokey like Anton Levey running around in a devil costume but play it straightforward no comic relief like danhausen 

might be one too many buts... but i'm currently working out details for a Satanist doing Brother Love shtick. "I Haaaaaateee youuuuuuuu"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dutch is kind of already the Satanist Brother Love. 

Speaking of love, I love that I log in at 330 am to get caught up on discussion and I see a Manos post. Peter Avalon as The Master and Nick Comaroto as Torgo would be a good use of those guys right now. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It is funny, and also sad, how the depth of the roster is so great that I forget that Nick Comoroto exists. But it mostly sucks - he has wrestled 10 times this year according to Cagematch. I kind of hope he ends up back in NXT at this point.

There's a lot to like in AEW, it can feel churlish to complain about things when they threw us Claudio vs Barnett for free. But if the new era was infact the debut of Copeland, a guy who was mostly a b-show main-eventer with a pretty terrible spear he probably shouldn't be doing, who nastily tore his triceps in his 2nd match back.....going on about a tag-team that had an 18 month run in the competition over 20 years ago.....then lol that's pretty dumb I'm sorry but it is.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

When he did Austin's podcast years ago he mentioned that he went with Panama City because it sounded cooler than wherever in PA he's from. Plus Panama City Playboy sounds better than Lancaster Lothario I guess?

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that one WWE source believes that the ‘wrestling war’ between AEW and WWE will end up like WCW vs. WWE, TNA vs. WWE or Bellator vs. UFC. The belief is that AEW will continue to sign older WWE names while WWE will take AEW’s younger talent (starting with Jade Cargill). The belief is that a “pipeline” has developed. It is also believed that younger AEW wrestlers are already talking about leaving when their current deals end.

There sources in AEW saying the same thing, as people are wanting to leave and the hope is that the number won’t be a lot. AEW does not want to become a “feeder league” to WWE or gain the perception that they are. There will likely be movement between both companies but WWE is said to only be interested in “key younger talent.”

Can they just let Malakai and Matthews go back to (what I assume is) the better WWE catering already? Let them have Wardlow too. Losing both Wardy and Jade might help Tony move passed the awful 'Squash, squash, squash and protect from any meaningful angles/matches' formula. Lastly, does anybody other than TK believe Starks isn't counting down the days on his contract? I mean besides everybody who's long been clamouring for the Starks push online.

Man, this is not good. Granted there are some faces that could go but you don't wanna lose Starks or Max or somebody. Tony better not just be shelling the money, but the fucking TOP SPOTS dammit. 

16 hours ago, zendragon said:

I really want someone to do a satanic gimmick but do it hokey like Anton Levey running around in a devil costume but play it straightforward no comic relief like danhausen 

Gorgoroth Satan GIF - Gorgoroth Satan Gaahl - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Man, this is not good. Granted there are some faces that could go but you don't wanna lose Starks or Max or somebody. Tony better not just be shelling the money, but the fucking TOP SPOTS dammit. 

Max could certainly jump, but something tells me he's a) under contract longer than the 'bidding war of 2024' gimmick suggests, and b) he's more loyal to the team than his heel persona would suggest. I don't wanna see Starks jump either, but I have a strong feeling he will. I hope I'm wrong, but whatever the case, freshening up talent and the sides with jumps is also pretty fine by me. 

• Like 1