DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCTOBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

6001c2b669046.jpg

9869e-16577193373848-1920.jpg

Leave it to my pal to post one of my favorite wrestlers of all time, and also the saddest scene I can think of from a kids movie (I remember crying my eyes out when I first saw it, and the last time I saw it (the first time I’d watched it after my dad passed) I had to pause it). 

But I do think Christian is certainly AEWs version of Scar. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Just Adam Bay Bay said:

Leave it to my pal to post one of my favorite wrestlers of all time, and also the saddest scene I can think of from a kids movie (I remember crying my eyes out when I first saw it, and the last time I saw it (the first time I’d watched it after my dad passed) I had to pause it). 

But I do think Christian is certainly AEWs version of Scar. 

I think it was a lot of people's, myself included. Didn't help I was in hospital. I was only 9. Hit me more than Bambi's Mum.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

I think it was a lot of people's, myself included. Didn't help I was in hospital. I was only 9. Hit me more than Bambi's Mum.

Dang I’m a year older than you friend. I’m sorry to hear you were in the hospital. My worst memory of it was once when I was I think twelve or so it was on ABC, and my dad and I watched it again. I still cried my eyes out, and he promised I’d never have to worry about losing him. I’m glad I got 35 great years with him, but there’s not a day that I don’t still miss him.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Just Adam Bay Bay said:

Dang I’m a year older than you friend. I’m sorry to hear you were in the hospital. My worst memory of it was once when I was I think twelve or so it was on ABC, and my dad and I watched it again. I still cried my eyes out, and he promised I’d never have to worry about losing him. I’m glad I got 35 great years with him, but there’s not a day that I don’t still miss him.

Thanks, pal. I was hospitalised four times with my hips and past two years especially this, it's happening to them again. Sorry you lost your Dad. Losing a parent is the worst pain ever. It was nine years for my Mum this June.

• Sad 2

18 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

A hope, a dream: sub 3 hour PLEs each month over bi-monthly sorta 5 hour PPVs. Imagine a full show with sustained crowd heat. Dy-no-mite!

It’s funny. The 2 1/2 hour 5 match nxt ppvs were universally praised. Unanimous praise for the length of the shows and matches. And yet, every freakin company insists on making shows longer and longer. Imagine sitting through a 5 hour movie or football game. It’s totally ridiculous. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, matt925 said:

It’s funny. The 2 1/2 hour 5 match nxt ppvs were universally praised. Unanimous praise for the length of the shows and matches. And yet, every freakin company insists on making shows longer and longer. Imagine sitting through a 5 hour movie or football game. It’s totally ridiculous. 

100% agree with you but to play devil's advocate, NXT's roster was like a third of the size of AEW's, and was still 'developmental' despite its sort of quasi-superindy-status at the time. They didn't have to worry about getting a 'return on investment' for big-contract stars like Sting, Jericho, Danielson, Mox, Christian, etc., so there was a lot less squeezing multi-man matches on to the card and that sort of thing, which gave everything room to breathe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Casey said:

I’m not paying $50 per month for 2 hour shows.

That's an excellent point - costs for us are gonna add up real quick if there's a move to a fully monthly model without a Peacock/WWEN-like streaming deal. We already had 9 PPVs this year as it is, if you count ROH

So if AEW is now in it’s Rated R era (because that’s what all of the New Era talk was about), does that mean we’ll be getting a lot more bloody violence and live sex celebrations on TV from now on?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

Then they could drop the price tag too. WWF had two tier ppvs in the 90s, don’t know how well it worked but there’s precedence

That might be a cool idea. A happy medium might be something like, six full-priced, 4-5 hour PPVs, and six discounted, 2-3 hour IYH-like PPVs, swapping back and forth monthly (maybe the cheaper IYH-show would be a good home for the BotB IP, since Collision already has a home on Saturday nights). It would certainly go a long way toward solving the scheduling issues this time next year, with All In, All Out, Grand Slam, and WD all taking place in a matter of weeks (I mention Grand Slam here because TK sort of teased us live with the idea of bringing a PPV to the Ashe).

3 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Then they could drop the price tag too. WWF had two tier ppvs in the 90s, don’t know how well it worked but there’s precedence

It didn’t work at all.  The cheaper PPVs were perceived as inferior due to the low price point and fewer people bought them.  Switching from IYH to more expensive and differently branded PPVs raised buy rates.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

I don't think I ever bothered to look up the lyrics to Metalingus before, but man, that song hits as hard as Cody's when it comes to what the lyrics say about someone's career:

On this day it's so real to me
Everything has come to life
Another chance to chase a dream
Another chance to feel
Chance to feel alive

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

It didn’t work at all.  The cheaper PPVs were perceived as inferior due to the low price point and fewer people bought them.  Switching from IYH to more expensive and differently branded PPVs raised buy rates.

Bummer. Although I wonder now that the audience is conditioned for more PPVs a year they would appreciate the savings at first

Maybe an overall drop in price would work instead. I might buy 6 at $40 each but only 4 at $50. Or as somebody mentioned, selling PPVs as a pack to save a little

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I don't think I ever bothered to look up the lyrics to Metalingus before, but man, that song hits as hard as Cody's when it comes to what the lyrics say about someone's career:

On this day it's so real to me
Everything has come to life
Another chance to chase a dream
Another chance to feel
Chance to feel alive

I'd put both of those JUST behind Jive Soul Bro and Slick.

Well I met this lady and I told her quite a story
Said I'd love her forever more
But the problem is I tell the same old story
To every girl who walks through the door

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

They were cheaper but also shorter. A cheaper show that was close to regular length may have sold better than what they did 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

That's an excellent point - costs for us are gonna add up real quick if there's a move to a fully monthly model without a Peacock/WWEN-like streaming deal. We already had 9 PPVs this year as it is, if you count ROH

Why don't they just keep the current PPV schedule and just have All in, All Out and WrestleDream as a package deal. I like that most of their PPV are 2 - 3 months apart. It fits Tony's slow build booking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Why don't they just keep the current PPV schedule and just have All in, All Out and WrestleDream as a package deal. I like that most of their PPV are 2 - 3 months apart. It fits Tony's slow build booking.

Well for one thing, their PPV income isn’t solely from internet streaming buys. That might work on BR Live or Fite, but I think he already said that the major PPV carriers didn’t want to do that. You can imagine why, I’m sure. Hell, I’m not even sure if WBD would want to do it if AEW switch to Max in 2024 and the PPVs aren’t included.

And really, if we’re talking package deals, All In/All Out should be the only one since they’re a week apart. WrestleDream was like 4 or 5 weeks or something after All Out.