DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCTOBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

I thought Starks had already been there and looked it up; he had, couple jobs including a demolition by THE RYBACK. At the very end it said he considered his style a mix of others', specifically noting "Undertaker's selling" and Shinjiro Ohtani. That's... well, that's what he said, anyway. 

• Like 1

Now that the bloom is off the rose of AEW, they have to figure out how to get it back. It's not something Adam Copeland feuding with Christan Cage is going to be able to fix. 

Tony Khan's failure to manage the CM Punk/Elite situation caused irreparable damage to the company. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Having a portion of the roster just disappear last Autumn without any real on-screen explanation as to why probably wasn't a good thing. I think they were in the lull before Collision so having people go off to never be on Dynamite probably didn't hurt much.

So it's one of those things where the roster is deep and you don't wanna lose people in the shuffle, but if you shuffle then it gets criticized too.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Now that the bloom is off the rose of AEW, they have to figure out how to get it back. It's not something Adam Copeland feuding with Christan Cage is going to be able to fix. 

Tony Khan's failure to manage the CM Punk/Elite situation caused irreparable damage to the company. 

Both Edge and Christian are established names. Whatever they're building to, they have to do in a way that features homegrown talent. If WWE isn't done with these mass releases we'll be seeing more very identifiable establed WWE names come in. Just with WWEs attendance and other business metrics going up, usually the wrestling business trends up overall. I think overall AEWs product is as good as ever in my opinion. They have had alot of set backs in the past year that I think people are hesitant about settling into it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Both Edge and Christian are established names. Whatever they're building to, they have to do in a way that features homegrown talent. If WWE isn't done with these mass releases we'll be seeing more very identifiable establed WWE names come in. Just with WWEs attendance and other business metrics going up, usually the wrestling business trends up overall. I think overall AEWs product is as good as ever in my opinion. They have had alot of set backs in the past year that I think people are hesitant about settling into it.

I'm hesitant as well. They have too many guys they don't know what to do with. There's a lack of consistency. Angles are started and then dropped without acknowledgment or restarted without context. The ROH situation makes no sense. They've been forced to integrate ROH into AEW, and it's not working. It's diluted their television product. 

They squandered what they had with so many guys. Like one week Powerhouse Hobbs is smashing QTV, and now he's in Don Callis family after disappearing after All Out. 

Distinguishing yourself from the WWE in 2023 is probably a little harder than it was in 2019 because the WWE is a hotter product now.

It will be interesting to see what sort of impact occurs with WWE switching networks for at least Smackdown. I could see a portion of the current Fox audience not following the show to USA with any regularity. And if RAW moves, then all sorts of things could happen.

Cordcutters aren't shy about telling us that they cordcut so I gotta imagine there's some fans who only watch Smackdown because they don't watch Cable.

There's still positive differences that AEW can lean on between AEW TV and WWE TV. But it might take a little bit of time to build on your strengths again.

There's a bit of an arms race (to put it mildly) for tomorrow night and both sides are downplaying the obvious just in case they lose in the ratings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I don't always agree with your posts, but I find this one to be pretty spot on. It's hard to pile on, but not being decisive in the moment and kind of playing both sides seems to have watered everything down. Fan apathy could be a reason for the slumping ticket sales.

I think an Edge & Christian program is a great idea in a strategy to try and draw an audience back in. But it can't be the only aspect to that strategy. Someone's gotta get hot. Something exciting has got to start happening. There's a real lack of urgency in a lot of the booking. I think we all thought Swerve & Keith Lee's breakup was on a path to a blowoff but it just never came. And that's starting to happen a little too often.

Long term booking only works if you get to the final chapter and it feels satisfying. Due a little to booking, a LOT to injuries, and mostly just timing not lining up right there hasn't been much of a satisfying final chapter to any main story in awhile.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I don't always agree with your posts, but I find this one to be pretty spot on. It's hard to pile on, but not being decisive in the moment and kind of playing both sides seems to have watered everything down. Fan apathy could be a reason for the slumping ticket sales.

I think an Edge & Christian program is a great idea in a strategy to try and draw an audience back in. But it can't be the only aspect to that strategy. Someone's gotta get hot. Something exciting has got to start happening. There's a real lack of urgency in a lot of the booking. I think we all thought Swerve & Keith Lee's breakup was on a path to a blowoff but it just never came. And that's starting to happen a little too often.

Long term booking only works if you get to the final chapter and it feels satisfying. Due a little to booking, a LOT to injuries, and mostly just timing not lining up right there hasn't been much of a satisfying final chapter to any main story in awhile.

@NoFistsJustFlips I don't always agree with your posts either, but I always enjoy reading your perspective!

• Like 1

I guess I’m part of the problem because last 2 times I went in Austin I bought tickets the day they went on sale, but noticing the 1/4 empty arena earlier this year and hearing all the people buying cheap last minute tickets, I’m holding off hoping for a bargain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I guess I’m part of the problem because last 2 times I went in Austin I bought tickets the day they went on sale, but noticing the 1/4 empty arena earlier this year and hearing all the people buying cheap last minute tickets, I’m holding off hoping for a bargain.

I do the same strategy, but with things like Marvel Legends figures now. It's actually been working out well lately.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

bait.gif

But it's not entirely wrong. Copeland/Cage will draw temporary eyes but they need to really make their own stars.

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Tony going for his nuclear option to promote a big show against competition: shitposting

It got worse (better?)

he called HBK & HHH bald assholes about 30 minutes ago. 😂 

9 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Tony appears to be hyping himself up for the Tuesday show by listening to "Fight Music" by D12 on a loop while refusing to sleep at any time in the last 48 hours before the show

I wouldn't advocate not sleeping for anyone, but I'll be damned if "Fight Music" fails to hype people up, loop or not!