DVDVR Message Board

The Termination of CM Punk by The Coward Tony Khan

Elsalvajeloco

He really did have a hell of an in-ring run there, and with stuff like the short Kingston feud/match and the post-return promos there was some real heat and a sense of unpredictability and danger that you weren't really getting elsewhere in the company

But idk doing this old school throwback thing, if the manly fights you're starting backstage are over things that seem insanely petty in 2023 like Luke Perry's son making a pass-agg remark or whatever, it just seems kind of lame and deluded. I guess he was just on whatever level trying to get fired. I wonder if he was banking on negotiating a sweeter exit than this though

• Like 2

Firing Punk the day before a PPV IN Chicago is definitely a bold and possibly stupid choice.  I guess they figured the crowd was going to be a pain regardless 

Just hope they can find some real black paint remover for that title 

Edited by hammerva

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

GOD DAMNIT.  

Now we have to have a tournament to crown a new Real World Heavyweight Champion.  😡

Since we need a new scapegoat....

It's been her plan all along. SHE LOST THE WOMEN'S TITLE JUST SO SHE CAN BE HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION. SHE KNEW THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN!

• Haha 1

I've been biting my tongue on a lot of this drama - so many conflicting reports, really grubby cash grab stuff from these clickbait journo dummies, more biased knee-jerk opinions based on shaky news then I've seen since the last time this shit happened. But when I sat back and thought about how the Punk camp had gossip dropping before the end of the Punk/Joe match, I figured the damage they were controlling for had to be different than the usual. And when I heard TK was there and that there were cameras around, well... yeah. You can't habitually assault your co-workers. Like, what the fuck. Anybody taking a pro-Punk stance on this one is a grade-A mark.

I hope Punk's contract had a lot of behavioral/disparagement clauses. I hope the next phase of this bullshit isn't Hausman and SRS pumping out scoops to squeeze more blood from the stone. I hope this leads to some kind of reckoning within not just AEW but the whole industry in terms of how to interact with wrestling media and how to prevent social media hot goss from melting everything down. Most of all I hope this strengthens the bond within the locker room - if Brody King and Dax Harwood or whoever have to be thrown upon the pyre, so be it. I miss All Friends Wrestling.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 10

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I've seen suggestions of maybe giving the women a stronger push on Collision.

Anything is possible. It just feels unlikely. He isn't really necessary, and off the back of this I can't see them wanting him right now, if at all.

Of course.

So when Punk and not Cody beats Roman to end his title reign, is this going to be a safe place when the wrestling internet community melts?

• Haha 3

I give it a year, two tops, before the decision to fire Punk hours before the first of two shows on back-to-back nights in his hometown, with cause (possible lawsuit), and possibly without the consultation of a network executive who gave them another show because of Punk, bites AEW in the ass. And probably lethally so.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

I was kinda looking forward to a modern day Flair/Savage program with Adam Copeland, as watching him destroy Punk on the mic would have been the only acceptable use of him in 2024.

Nonetheless, Dennis Rodman strap match please. Or if it is somehow a work, Punk returning with Shannen Doherty as his legal consultant with past experience of being victimised off the set by the Perry family also would be fantastic. Thank you.

• Like 1

Just now, Cobra Commander said:

anyways, announcing the firing during the first saturday of college football and a holiday weekend was some amazing timing... the people who really follow wrestling stuff were gonna hear about it no matter what, but for everybody else, well..

Now that I think about, what if the Punk news hijacked three major shows this weekend (Collision, Payback, and All Out)? That would be amazing.