DVDVR Message Board

The Termination of CM Punk by The Coward Tony Khan

Elsalvajeloco

1 minute ago, Cobra Commander said:

yeah the WWE isn't as desperate these days as they were in 1996

And that's not even the crazy part. Punk got to at least get six whole days. Warrior got fired backstage at SummerSlam 1991 and was back at Mania the very next year. 

So Warrior holds the top two spots on the rehired list.

1 minute ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

A returning Dan Lambert bringing out Mickey Gall or Mike Jackson?

Man, Mickey Gall was going to be this super prospect and he ain't won 2 consecutive fights since he beat Punk. That was SEVEN years ago.

The curse of CM Punk.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Now that I think about, what if the Punk news hijacked three major shows this weekend (Collision, Payback, and All Out)? That would be amazing.

I would be shocked if there were enough in Pittsburgh to do that. Maybe some small stuff at most but nothing sustained.

But the other two shows? Holy fuck they're gonna deliver on that big time.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

Most likely, from now until the end of time, I get to tell people that I was there, live, in the building stadium, for CM Punk's last pro-wrestling match. And Joe should have won.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Infinit said:

Would the Chicago crowd risk AEW not coming back for a while if they hijack the show?

Probably not but it would hurt the assertion that All Out is going to happen in the Chicagoland area in perpetuity. 

27 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

anyways, announcing the firing during the first saturday of college football and a holiday weekend was some amazing timing... the people who really follow wrestling stuff were gonna hear about it no matter what, but for everybody else, well..

Actually given they are going head to head with a WWE Pay Pe.... err.. Premium Live Event tonight the timing couldn't have been better. Now everyone is talking about Collision tonight.

59 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I don't take any delight in being proven right about Punk, because it definitely hurts AEW's TV presence for him to be gone. But Jesus Christ, it's been something weekly with this guy you can't even keep up with it all. Something had to give.

Yea, same, I really like Punk as a performer but clearly it wasn't working. 

Honestly they should have never brought him back. He has been known to hold a grudge and it just never seemed like he "got over" the issues from last year. Regardless if anyone thinks the Page/Mox/Brawl Out issues were his fault or not, the issues were never resolved and there were so many reports of issues just in the last three months since he returned. There were really no negative backstage stories about Punk at all from his debut up until his injury, he seemed to be having fun, but the minute something went wrong it just snowballed and it never got better.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Would the Chicago crowd risk AEW not coming back for a while if they hijack the show?

I don't think many will be thinking about that when they go nuts. If it kills the town it would likely be very unintentional.

Since doors are open I'm curious if there's anything online about how people are acting in the arena so far.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

There is that narrative of, "I can control him and you cannot...".

Better yet, "I can control my locker room and you can't"

For all their philosophical booking differences, if there's one thing I'm sure Vince and HHH see eye to eye on, it's the superiority of "the WWE way" of doing things, in particular running the locker room. "We can integrate this guy into our locker room, even with people who don't like him, because we're professionals over here, not amateur money marks" is a message I'm sure they wouldn't mind sending. With Punk's ego and sense of self-righteousness, I'd bet he's dying to walk into a WWE arena, bask in the "welcome back" cheers, and take shots at AEW. If he's smart he goes in and tells them what they wanna hear. Beyond that, who knows? Once Rock turns down working Roman at Mania for like the fifth straight year, Vince may get keen on Punk as a suitable replacement, you never know...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Actually given they are going head to head with a WWE Pay Pe.... err.. Premium Live Event tonight the timing couldn't have been better. Now everyone is talking about Collision tonight.

they're getting mainstream media coverage out of this in a sense

1 minute ago, The Comedian said:

Better yet, "I can control my locker room and you can't"

For all their philosophical booking differences, if there's one thing I'm sure Vince and HHH see eye to eye on, it's the superiority of "the WWE way" of doing things, in particular running the locker room. "We can integrate this guy into our locker room, even with people who don't like him, because we're professionals over here, not amateur money marks" is a message I'm sure they wouldn't mind sending. With Punk's ego and sense of self-righteousness, I'd bet he's dying to walk into a WWE arena, bask in the "welcome back" cheers, and take shots at AEW. If he's smart he goes in and tells them what they wanna hear. Beyond that, who knows? Once Rock turns down working Roman at Mania for like the fifth straight year, Vince may get keen on Punk as a suitable replacement, you never know...

Speaking of WWF in 1996, the Billionaire Tony sketches are written by Phillip Brooks, Esq. could be well on their way.

Anyway, I don't think anyone could have put it as succinctly as you did.

• Like 1

My general thoughts: 

1) They hired a hothead that was hard to manage and went out of his way to be hard to manage. 

2) It is a company where managing people is not a strength. 

3) They had a chance to cut bait a while back. Like the shoot on Hangman Page, the disaster of the press conference (incorporating dirt on Colt Cabana for no reason), etc. Instead, they empowered him with his own show.

4) Even that did not make him happy. 

Guy seems like a jerk. Talented? Yes. But who is worth all of that in this day and age? 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I want to know the details of Discipline Committee membership.  How many board seats are there? How long are the terms? What other internal committees does AEW have? 

The AEW Discipline Committee:

• The Butcher
  • The Blade
  • Sonny Ono under a worked name
  • Dr. Britt Baker. D! D! S!
  • Chris Jericho wearing a nail jacket and facepaint
  • Jeff Hardy somehow
  • Miro

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Greggulator said:

My general thoughts: 

1) They hired a hothead that was hard to manage and went out of his way to be hard to manage. 

2) It is a company where managing people is not a strength. 

3) They had a chance to cut bait a while back. Like the shoot on Hangman Page, the disaster of the press conference (incorporating dirt on Colt Cabana for no reason), etc. Instead, they empowered him with his own show.

4) Even that did not make him happy. 

Guy seems like a jerk. Talented? Yes. But who is worth all of that in this day and age? 

General menace to society, Conor McGregor. And Gervonta Davis, apparently. But then again, wrestling doesn't have too many genuine box office attractions of that magnitude.