DVDVR Message Board

The Termination of CM Punk by The Coward Tony Khan

Elsalvajeloco

12 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

https://www.hausofwrestling.com/2023/09/18/cm-punk-is-not-suing-tony-khan-following-termination-exclusive/ 

Per Nick Hausman, CM Punk is not planning to sue AEW. I guess he got what he wanted.

I think the consensus theory is that he didn't get what he wanted but rather, they have footage of his outburst and his "worse than just a lunge" thing and all that, and his lawyers agree they'd be as effective in a lawsuit as Punk in a MMA match.  AEW and whatever outside counsel they brought in was confident enough in their case to fire him with cause, after all.

You think a guy who sued his former friend would back down from a suit against AEW just to avoid "drama?"

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

AEW and whatever outside counsel they brought in was confident enough in their case to fire him with cause, after all.

You think a guy who sued his former friend would back down from a suit against AEW just to avoid "drama?"

As someone who lives in a state with shitty employment laws and been through this recently, in order for Punk to have a lawsuit, he would have to prove his termination was premeditated without justification and have a mountain of evidence. The first part would be difficult. The second part would be absolutely impossible even if he was in the right. Punk would be spending money to just spend money. The Cabana thing, whether or not you agree with the act, he felt he had more than enough to move forward with it. It's two separate things.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I think the consensus theory is that he didn't get what he wanted but rather, they have footage of his outburst and his "worse than just a lunge" thing and all that, and his lawyers agree they'd be as effective in a lawsuit as Punk in a MMA match.  AEW and whatever outside counsel they brought in was confident enough in their case to fire him with cause, after all.

Didn't Colt Cabana sue him first?

9 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Didn't Colt Cabana sue him first?

I don't know man, I'm just saying that, ostensibly, Punk is not a "drop a lawsuit out of the goodness of my heart" guy.  But @Elsalvajeloco is correct that it's apples and oranges anyway.

I just really enjoyed the kicker of the story, that Punk was dropping the suit because he was done with the drama AEW caused in his life.  Meanwhile, Punk's out here doing indy MMA commentary and making jokes about attacking his boss.

Edited by Technico Support

Just the idea that he attacked another person and made him fear for his life, and then it's cool that he's allowed to joke about it, is disturbing.  If this was David Starr making equivalent jokes about his own situation with his ex, there'd be an uproar.  But it's two men so society dictates we're supposed to think TK is a wimp or some shit and make jokes about monitors falling on the guy like fuck him, right?  Probably best we stay out of gender studies and get back to Zune talk, I guess.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Punk is not a "drop a lawsuit out of the goodness of my heart" guy.

I don't think he was ever planning to sue to begin with. Wasn't all the Cabana stuff when he was out of the ring? If you're planning to pursue other projects (probably most importantly, have some type of involvement with WWE), I don't think you're going to be having as much time for lawsuits as you did before.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Just the idea that he attacked another person and made him fear for his life, and then it's cool that he's allowed to joke about it, is disturbing.  

Dude, that happened on a show where a dude got head kicked and concussed so bad, it looked like he was frozen in carbonite. We gotta have some context.

But yeah, John Morgan was going to joke about it anyway. 

Nobody got concussed at AEW. Someone got concussed at Cage Fury Fulighting Champiobshipx.

Sometimes you type so badly, autocorrect just moped out altogether.

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Nobody got concussed at AEW. Someone got concussed at Cage Fury Fulighting Champiobshipx.

Sometimes you type so badly, autocorrect just moped out altogether.

Damn skippy someone did.

https://twitter.com/UFCFightPass/status/1702856667493257696

My point was that Punk, Morgan, and whoever the pbp guy usually have a carefree environment during the shows. Moreover, Morgan always tries to start shit with Punk and Punk is generally a good sport about it. I dunno if it is meant to be directed at AEW in any way. That and I am not sure how much decorum you're going to get at a C level MMA show in the first place.

• Like 1

My view is Punk wouldn't have put out a statement that he decided not to sue if he didn't have the option to. He's saying he's taking the high road, to be taken with the appropriate amount of salt

I went back and listened to Moxley on Renee's podcast admit to pulling a power play and forcing through the Rocky 3 angle because TK was foolish enough to put his world title on an unsigned wrestler. His words, not mine. Of course, Tony could have said "Thanks for the suggestion, Jon!" and then go on TV and turn it into an angle. "I trusted Jon Moxley and that was a mistake. He is holding our world title hostage for more money because he is scared to face the real world champion and I do not do business like that. He is immediately stripped of the interim title blah blah blah." Chalk that one up to a learning experience

Anyway, part of that story is that Punk says he wasn't cleared for the Mox squash ahead of All Out. Perhaps he could have sued over having to wrestle against doctor's orders

Edited by Godfrey

• Insider asked Tony Khan why – when he addressed the Chicago crowd about CM Punk’s firing – he did it from the top of the ramp instead of in the ring:
  • You can't see everybody's face from the center of the ring. You have to choose one side of the crowd to face when you're in the ring. And I wanted to be able to see everybody. I felt like, I'm not a wrestler and I don't need to be in the ring, and for this moment, I thought I would just sit down and talk to everybody. That's why I brought out a chair.
  • And when I was done and walked backstage, the first person I saw was Ricky Steamboat and he said, ‘That was great, you turned the crowd. You turned them around. That's so hard to do, and you did it.’ I felt I at least owed that much to the wrestlers and the fans, to go out there and talk to everybody.
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

My view is Punk wouldn't have put out a statement that he decided not to sue if he didn't have the option to. He's saying he's taking the high road, to be taken with the appropriate amount of salt

I went back and listened to Moxley on Renee's podcast admit to pulling a power play and forcing through the Rocky 3 angle because TK was foolish enough to put his world title on an unsigned wrestler. His words, not mine. Of course, Tony could have said "Thanks for the suggestion, Jon!" and then go on TV and turn it into an angle. "I trusted Jon Moxley and that was a mistake. He is holding our world title hostage for more money because he is scared to face the real world champion and I do not do business like that. He is immediately stripped of the interim title blah blah blah." Chalk that one up to a learning experience

Anyway, part of that story is that Punk says he wasn't cleared for the Mox squash ahead of All Out. Perhaps he could have sued over having to wrestle against doctor's orders

Technically, CM Punk didn't put out a statement, unless that was Punk and his lawyers' way of feeding that story to Hausman to put it out there.

The Voice of the Voiceless thing was something he only used in WWE, where although the fans were vocal about wanting more CM Punk and less Cena/ Orton/ H, the company refused to listen. Thus rendering them effectively voiceless. He retired the nickname in his first AEW promo.

Edited by AxB
Effectively!
  • Like 1