DVDVR Message Board

The Termination of CM Punk by The Coward Tony Khan

Elsalvajeloco

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Dammit, I wish I had that version. Those aren't even on my copy of the Get Drunk and Fuck/Ian Mackaye comp that I got recently.

Note to those unfamiliar with Poison Idea: that album cover is them being disingenuous because the collection pictured is in fact the late guitarist's (RIP thee Pig Champion). I love that it's full of rarities and even a double of Manson's LIE record. To look at that as a punk aficionado is to just start drooling; the whole pile is worth beaucoup bucks today. Shit... Tom probably kept it all, I wonder who owns it now?

My Pick Your King is blue cover, black vinyl. The first pressing, but was released second. Got it for 2 or 3 bucks, probably at a show. I'm old.

I couldn't help but to respond to the Record Collectors post with some pretentious record collector stuff about mine.😀

• Like 1

18 hours ago, twiztor said:

i believe that was iTunes- i remember hearing them talk about how a truly random shuffle could lead to the same song being played back-to-back, and they wanted to avoid that. Whether it was precautionary or because people complained, i do not remember. 

sorry to both of you. i know it's wrong and try not to do it, but i am absolutely guilty of saying that. It is just SO COMMON that sometimes it sneaks through. But i also think it's something that's only going to get worse, like me yelling into the void about people using "should of" or "would of" instead of "should/would have". Or how they have LITERALLY changed the definition of "literally". Or even people abbreviating "et cetera" as "ect".

Oh, that wasn't directed at you, I was just talking in general.  You get a pass anyway for getting into the should've/should of thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've always just gone with calling them records. I've never got the "vinyl" thing. We don't call CDs, "plastic".

"Oh, I've got that one on plastic!"

Even when CDs were my main physical media, I'd say a band had a new record out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Now I want somebody to get high and watch CM Punk matches then review. May be the only way I could get through one of those hour draws (there were more than one, right?). This Galloping Ghost I've got would work just fine. 

i don't get high very often, but i've taken to eating a THC gummy before i watch AEW PPVs. I find that i get SUPER into the matches, for better or worse. the bad matches just seem to drag on forever, but the good matches are vastly improved. i am drawing connections that may or may not be intended by the wrestlers. i associate the various holds/moves with promo snippets and moments from other matches. i'm seeing more story elements that i would normally overlook. I buy into more nearfalls. technical matches are better. brawls are wilder. "epic" matches feel bigger. 

the biggest drawback is that i don't really recall much from the matches the next day (or by the end of the show for the earlier stuff), so i'll remember that i really liked it, but that's about it. well, that and sometimes the potency spikes so i just zone out and miss whole segments/matches. but it's a tradeoff i'm happy with.

this may now be my favorite thread in the history of DVDVR. i've gotten to talk about my record collection, my gummy-induced watching habits, my grammar nazi tendencies, and tape trading. Plus read about other people's history with the hardcore punk (and other) scenes back in the day. Just to complete my BINGO card, i also am a big Nintendo fanboy and Mountain Dew enthusiast. 

this. is. awesome. clap clap clapclapclap

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

It'd be up to the mods but I'd have no problem with a drug thread haha

As a backup would Discord suffice?  I am down with creating one and making sure things don't get out of hand.

I honestly haven't heard of most of the bands y'all are talking about but man do I love the discussion!

For all the talk about growing up going to many shows I was a relatively sheltered kid/teen for better or worse.  So my first real concert wasn't until I was 17 for Metallica's Summer Sanitarium Tour.  I didn't go to too many for a long time but when I moved to Baltimore nine years ago I started to go to some more shows.  The bands didn't matter as it was much more about good times with friends though I'll need to think back on some of the standouts from my five years in the city.  Now that I've been back in Harford County for almost four years I still always find myself up for a good show.   I've been to a few this year but my favorite was Rotting Christ and the bands before it.  Greek dudes coming from Athens to a random spot in Philly?  Sign me up!

As for records I just realized the player's in my office and I can't remember the last time I played it.  It's even unplugged yet I have a crate full almost bursting at the seams.  I really need to start listening again but Apple Music has been scratching that itch the past year or so.  Though I did pick up some weird shit while in Athens during the summer so it's high time I get to listening.

• Like 1

Soma and demerol were on twice. And I didn't hear alcohol. 

The Discord would be fine by me but we already got #anything-else. Incidentally, Triarchy of the Lost Lovers by Rotting Christ is on sale by my boy Yosuke at Nuclear War Now! Productions on wax so I'm probably gonna pick that up by the end of the week unless something better comes along. 

• Like 1

hey @twiztorMy wife has every Nintendo US console except GBA, I think, and collects games and figures. Our new basement is going to be the game room area.

I'm a drinker but I don't mess with narcotics anymore, other than using muscle relaxers that aren't mine to actually relax my muscles when very sore.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Discord would be fine by me but we already got #anything-else. Incidentally, Triarchy of the Lost Lovers by Rotting Christ is on sale by my boy Yosuke at Nuclear War Now! Productions on wax so I'm probably gonna pick that up by the end of the week unless something better comes along. 

Where can I find the details on the Discord?

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

So my first real concert wasn't until I was 17 for Metallica's Summer Sanitarium Tour.  I

Man, I was like 12 and was trying *so hard* to somehow get to Foxboro for that one (middle school me had recently settled on them as my favorite band, for two reasons: 1) I caught Behind The Music on a snow day and it really spoke to me, and 2) everyone seemed to be really pissed off at them about that Napster thing, who doesn't love a great heel?) I finally made it to Long Island in '04 and have seen them 5 times since, but I was straight up RABID about missing that one - especially once things got turbulent for 2-3 years with rehab and bassists, and it looked like they might break up.

For the record: first show overall was Ozzy and Rob Zombie on the Merry Mayhem tour with special guests Mudvayne and SOiL - a late 2001 bill if there ever was one.

Edit: @worldcupfever

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/8735-i-created-a-discord-chat-server-for-political-and-other-discussions/

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Log said:

I've always just gone with calling them records. I've never got the "vinyl" thing. We don't call CDs, "plastic".

"Oh, I've got that one on plastic!"

Even when CDs were my main physical media, I'd say a band had a new record out.

I think you answered your own question “record” just mean full length recording no matter actual medium, and nobody under retirement age uses the term “platter”

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sparkleface said:

Unless, of course, referring to the noble combination platter while ordering from a fine local dining establishment.

I'm with you, but one caveat: I'm not down with places that try to sneak a pile of calamari or garlic bread on there just to pad it out - I see that and automatically assume I'm getting screwed on the wings, fried mozzarella, etc.

3 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

Unless, of course, referring to the noble combination platter while ordering from a fine local dining establishment.

This made me realize I haven't had a pu-pu platter in probably 30 years and I could absolutely demolish one of those right about now.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm with you, but one caveat: I'm not down with places that try to sneak a pile of calamari or garlic bread on there just to pad it out - I see that and automatically assume I'm getting screwed on the wings, fried mozzarella, etc.

Pfft, they can pile on the calamari and the garlic bread for me. Suckers! That's what I came there for!

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

Pfft, they can pile on the calamari and the garlic bread for me. Suckers! That's what I came there for!

See you and I would make a great sampler platter team - my girlfriend and most of my IRL friends all like the same stuff, so the calamari always just ends up in a pile at the end along with the lettuce bed and sprigs of parsley - I feel sorry wasting food, but I'm just not a fan (I make it a point to try seafood every 5-7 years, too, just to see if that whole 'tastebuds changing' thing is a work or not, but it always ends the same)

Edit: I wish I clicked reply a second sooner, your stance makes more sense after seeing you're a pescatarian

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

4 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

See you and I would make a great sampler platter team - my girlfriend and most of my IRL friends all like the same stuff, so the calamari always just ends up in a pile at the end along with the lettuce bed and sprigs of parsley - I feel sorry wasting food, but I'm just not a fan (I make it a point to try seafood every 5-7 years, too, just to see if that whole 'tastebuds changing' thing is a work or not, but it always ends the same)

Edit: I wish I clicked reply a second sooner, your stance makes more sense after seeing you're a pescatarian

Oh I grew up in coastal environments, so seafood's always been my thing. Being pescetarian is more because a few years back my body decided to stop processing most meat that I ate. Fish, though, is for some reason fine? I've never been able to figure out why fish is fine but poultry or pork isn't, but my body is a strange place and I don't make the rules.

(I also don't get why chicken is a no go, but eggs are fine. I dunno. My doctor can't figure that one out either.)

It doesn't really bother me all that much aside from the people who seem to get offended that I ask for a veggie option and are all "well I'm going to have meat! Meat is what I will have! ARE YOU TRIGGERED?!" and I can't be like "yeah man I'd love to have it too, but if I do, I'd throw up on your carpet" because then somehow I'd be the rude one!

• Like 2