DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 8/23 - 8/29/2023

Dolfan in NYC

4 hours ago, EVA said:

But what happened with AR Fox was straight TRASH. Fox/Swerve was really working. If he can’t make Wembley, fine, but don’t just throw away the whole act and then have the faces just forget the whole thing in 3 minutes. Terrible.

Christian is a poet though.

I really wanted Darby to go "I owe this man everything" while Nick Wayne shouted over his shoulder "Hey, I don't agree with this!" "Those two guys just beat the shit out of me, I am not down with this." "Seriously he just threw a tanktop with my blood on it -that he is somehow still wearing- at my mom, I don't think he's a good guy!"

Seems like they could have just had someone "injure" AR Fox as payback for going after Nick Wayne's mom, or something, then bring him back after they get back stateside. I hope I'm wrong, but this kind of felt like writing AR Fox out of AEW more than writing him out of All In. 

• Like 4

The AR Fox thing sucked so bad. They had a great heel team going that should've been tag champs by the end of the year. Darby might have reason to forgive Fox, but it makes no sense for Nick Wayne to do the same. It's a testament to how good Swerve is that he's able to constantly withstand being the worst booked wrestler in the company by a lot. Christian's promo distracted from the fact that he's a total letdown as a last minute replacement.

Otherwise this was a solid go-home show. Good promos from most everyone, and I actually like the change to 5 on 5 with stadium stampede. BCCPNP vs. Eddie/Penta/Best Friends is pretty tight and ties together a lot of storylines past and present. Definitely making the most of the hand they were dealt. The Cole/MJF program is hitting all the right notes and is set up to be surprising no matter how it ends. It feels like All In is WM 17 meets WM 15.

• Like 2

Soooo Santana and Ortiz are back together without any explanation. There's precedent for them being with BCC, having already worked with them in a previous Blood & Guts match. In this case, I don't think they're pro-BCC but more anti-Eddie (and Lucha Bros. for some reason), and instead of each team having a mystery partner they've made it a 5 on 5. Minus the lack of an explanation, I'll go along with it.

HOWEVER

I will NOT forgive the fact that they STILL didn't explain what was whispered to Billy Gunn. I'm all fine with him coming back with vengeance, etc to avenge The Acclaimed and such, but it almost seemed like they purposely glanced over the crux of the issue.

AR Fox can't make Wembley so you turn him baby after a match where he just beat the shit out of a guy while wearing a t-shirt with the kid's blood on it and taunts the kid's mom?  What the fuck is this shit?  Just do an injury angle and go with the mystery partner angle until the day of the show for fucks sake.

Toni Storm's fuzzy black slippers are the best gimmick in pro wrestling.

• Like 3

apparently AR Fox’s issue getting to London is likely personal - his grandmother died a week ago. Might be taking a mental health break maybe? They seem close if his tweet is anything to go by.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, hobo joe said:

Nick Wayne’s mom is hot

i was thinking they could make an American Pie reference but frankly Nick might to be young for even that movie.   Fuck we are old

As Trevor Dame mentioned on Twitter,   Excalibur going from having a serious and somber moment to plugging a gambling web site (ON A WRESTLING SHOW) to quickly going 100 MPH plugging All In is something to say the least

Edited by hammerva

They didn't have to pull that angle. All they had to do was say he couldn't come and throw Christian in there. It's not like the crowd can't read the Internet where they've posted their very own message that some people won't be able to make it! They didn't have to stretcher Fenix for that same reason, either! (I think TK might have just decided to fast-forward what he planned to do with Fox anyway. The Fenix stretchering though... I got nothing. Just wanted to "keep it 'rasslin" I guess?)

I asked if Wayne's mom was his sister in the chat, haha. Wrong. I'm not complaining though... 

Can't wait for Toni to walk out one of these nights wearing curlers and a green facial. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DangerMark said:

If we want (even) more pop culture references that pre-date Nick Wayne's birth, I'm sure you could give "Nick Wayne's mom has got it going on," a go.

"Nick Wayne's Mom," by the Fountains of Nick Wayne

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

First we have the Bucks getting on the Dynamite poster twice, and now we have QT MarSHALL getting some Double Poster action too.

Pretty soon, we'll get a Collision poster with 3 CM Punks, no doubt.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, AxB said:

First we have the Bucks getting on the Dynamite poster twice, and now we have QT MarSHALL getting some Double Poster action too.

Multiverse!

The QT/Gravity match is surprisingly good!

The OC match and the Outcasts tag were both pretty "house-showy" live. Which is to say, they were fun live.

I'm hoping they keep Orange going over to my son in the show. There was a camera dude right up in my boy's face. Britt also came over to high-five him before their match, so hoping that makes it in, too.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, DangerMark said:

If we want (even) more pop culture references that pre-date Nick Wayne's birth, I'm sure you could give "Nick Wayne's mom has got it going on," a go.

Something something Brazzers logo something something…

Whatever the circumstances, I feel bad for Swerve and AR Fox because they were building something. Tony can’t get out of his own way sometimes. It really does look like he just completely changed the plan because Fox couldn’t make this one show. So dumb. 

Swerve once again having to overcome the worst of Tony’s start/stop booking. That entire segment gave me whiplash.  One of like 3 matches with good build I guess now we are down to 2.

Rest of the show was good. Ospreay is a better promo than I thought he was. Really sold himself and that match.

Eddie as usual the highlight of the show. Great moment there with Renee. Rick Knox getting rocked was also fun.

Edited by Jrag
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Log said:

The QT/Gravity match is surprisingly good!

The OC match and the Outcasts tag were both pretty "house-showy" live. Which is to say, they were fun live.

I'm hoping they keep Orange going over to my son in the show. There was a camera dude right up in my boy's face. Britt also came over to high-five him before their match, so hoping that makes it in, too.

Fingers crossed, bud xxx.

• Like 1

I didn't love the Fox re-turn either, but I guess I could see the idea where doing an injury angle runs the risk of cheapening what was done with Fenix earlier, so at least it was "something different" from that perspective. It could have worked a little better had Darby made the save, but not addressed a Fox reconciliation until he was ready to return - could've had have Fox 'return the favor' at All Out and saved Darby from some Christian skulduggery in the Luchasaurus title match, THEN done the Darby 'I'll always love you man' promo, with Fox being rewarded with a shot at Darby's newly won TNT title for doing the right thing. From there, you've got a real solid path to Darby/Fox v Christian/Luchasaurus, Darby/Fox vs Swerve/Brian Cage, plus a nice tune-up match or two vs Gates of Agony baked right in.

Edit 2: I know we just had a Gates of Agony match a week or two ago against them, but I can't get enough of the pinball stuff - even if it's Rampage or ROH, I honestly don't care, I just want an excuse to run that back

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
and that's not even considering the various singles configurations OR the involvement of N Wayne and Sting
  • Like 2

I liked the show, but big agree on the WTF-ness of the Fox turn. They squeezed in 3 story beats (turn, Darby forgiveness, new partner reveal) when they only needed 1 (new partner). I actually like the Christian sub; it was both surprising in the moment yet completely logical, but I feel like this kind of kills any momentum or character arc for Fox. He’s always just been another flashy dude you can randomly throw out for a good match, the heel run was the first sense of him having an actual character and story, but this seems to slot him right back to ‘another dude’ status.

Even if he has to take time out, I think they’d have been better off leaving this a bit more open ended. Have Swerve sub him out to his surprise, but without the full turn. Then you can either resume the heel run, with Swerve encouraging him to have more killer instinct, or you use that as the starting point to what we got here with him slipping up consistently, building to the full turn. As it was, it felt completely unearned. There’s easily a couple months worth of story they could have squeezed out of this. 

I’m by no means a Cole fan, but are we in agreement that him getting the belt and a massive heel turn is the way to go?

In terms of building intrigue is this the best angle AEW has done yet? There’s so many directions they could take it and I really don’t know how they’re going to play it.

• Like 2

What they should do: Cole turns on MJF

What they will do: MJF turns on Cole; Punk makes the save

Alternatively, a misunderstanding where MJF thinks Cole turned on him and responds with brutal over-retaliation, which he refuses to apologize/atone for out of a sense of pride and the post-rationalization that friendship made him weak. I think that’s the most interesting option and I think there’s a non-zero chance of it happening.

• Like 2

As a big fan of Fox I didn't love that development as I am afraid he'll be shuffled back to Rampage/ROH/whatever he was doing before. But I will say that Swerve is incredible at... everything and at some point they need to attach a rocket to him and see what he can do. I think of all the WWE -> AEW wrestlers, Swerve has been the biggest improvement. Course he isn't on the Mox/Jericho/Danielson level but I just mean in regards to showing the potential he had and how he has shown his capabilities. So I hope he remains a focus and gets a bigger push at some point.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, AxB said:

welp, there goes OC's run of top-tier matches. Solo is the JAGgiest of the JAGs

10 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

As a big fan of Fox I didn't love that development as I am afraid he'll be shuffled back to Rampage/ROH/whatever he was doing before. But I will say that Swerve is incredible at... everything and at some point they need to attach a rocket to him and see what he can do. I think of all the WWE -> AEW wrestlers, Swerve has been the biggest improvement. Course he isn't on the Mox/Jericho/Danielson level but I just mean in regards to showing the potential he had and how he has shown his capabilities. So I hope he remains a focus and gets a bigger push at some point.

Totally agree. Swerve was a bit of a "who gives a shit" signing for me, but now is one of my favorite all around performers in AEW.

This reminds me: where the hell is Keith Lee?!?!

• Like 2