DVDVR Message Board

2023 Wrestling RIP Thread

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I went down a rabbit hole of minute and a half WWF promos with him and every single one was gold. Especially the one where he calls Gene Mean "intelligent Jew" and breaks him so the cameraman slooooowly pans in on Sheik, while you hear laughter behind the camera. 

Honorable mention to his pronunciation of "Hill-a-billah Jim"

EDIT: Oh hell I gotta post it

Best Promos - Iron Sheik - Zoom It! - YouTube

I always loved how respectful the Sheik was of American pro wrestling fans in his promos despite them hating on him simply because of the politics in post-Khomeni Iran.

RIP

The promo where Mean Gene offers the Sheik the opportunity to address his people in Farsi always brings a tear to my eye.  It was one of the rare moments when the early WWE showed true NWA territories style international pedigree.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

Man he was just great. I like how many times in his promos, he would get all wound up talking so fast and just before he got to where you couldn’t understand him, the announcer would interrupt and say in 1 line what a wound up Sheik was trying to say. That’s where any other heel would tell whoever interrupted to shut up. Sheik would regain his enunciation ability and say EXACTLY THANK YOU! He did the same thing in his shoots.

• Like 3

Ahhh, the Iron Sheik will always hold a very special place in my heart, as he was quite literally in the first pro wrestling match I actually watched from start to finish, that being the now infamous Boot Camp Match with Sgt. Slaughter from MSG in June 1984.  Some of my friends from junior high school had been mentioning pro wrestling in passing that year, but I had no clue what they were talking about.  I remember calling my friend Bob that evening and asking him when exactly this match was going to be shown on the MSG network broadcast because I just had to know what this was all about.  

And well, that match, as we all know now, was insane.  What a trial by fire, being thrown into the deep end like that. I remember almost fainting when the blood started flowing, but somehow I kept watching.  And I've been watching ever since.  

Thank you, Iron Sheik, you crazy motherfucker.  RIP.  

• Like 5

An incredible promo where backstage interviewer Kal Rudman attempts to humanize The Iron Sheik and practically begs wrestling fans to not murder him after he won the WWF Championship, and Sheiky Baby responds with a subdued but really good "serious World Champion" promo ahead of the evening's championship defense against challenger, Tito Santana.

• Like 2

This is a sad day. The Iron Shiek is gone. May we all be humbled by his greatness. In the mid 80's and earlier, his suplexes were among the best around. What became of his life later, makes it pretty easy to forget that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 赤い竜 said:

Jeff Gann the Gambler passed away. The Gambler worked in WCW in the 90's.

Aww man. The Gambler was my favorite of the WCW jobbers. Did he ever win a televised match?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Aww man. The Gambler was my favorite of the WCW jobbers. Did he ever win a televised match?

Here is one:

cagematch has two other wins of his marked as TV matches (against Mike Winner in 94 and against Chad Brook in 96), but who knows if those weren't actually dark matches.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, J.T. said:

I always loved how respectful the Sheik was of American pro wrestling fans in his promos despite them hating on him simply because of the politics in post-Khomeni Iran.

RIP

The promo where Mean Gene offers the Sheik the opportunity to address his people in Farsi always brings a tear to my eye.  It was one of the rare moments when the early WWE showed true NWA territories style international pedigree.

He was a really top-notch, unique promo in his prime... even as a top heel, he was respectful of the announcers like Gene, Solie, Boesch et al and deferential to the fans themselves at a certain level. The man knew where his bread was buttered, put it that way. It matched up with his unique skillset.

• Like 3

Since no one else will do it...RIP Other Gambler 

That said, nothing beats the time TMZ reported old school SEG era UFC fighter Kimo Leopoldo died, confirmed it with sources, and it was up for three hours.

He was not dead. You know who confirmed Kimo Leopoldo was not dead? You guessed it. Kimo Leopoldo.

That day was amazing.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Since no one else will do it...RIP Other Gambler 

That said, nothing beats the time TMZ reported old school SEG era UFC fighter Kimo Leopoldo died, confirmed it with sources, and it was up for three hours.

He was not dead. You know who confirmed Kimo Leopoldo was not dead? You guessed it. Kimo Leopoldo.

That day was amazing.

I honestly think that if I saw a report that I was dead, there'd be a minute or so where I thought, "Oh man. Am I actually dead and I just don't know it like some Sixth Sense shit?!?!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Log said:

I honestly think that if I saw a report that I was dead, there'd be a minute or so where I thought, "Oh man. Am I actually dead and I just don't know it like some Sixth Sense shit?!?!"

Especially if they CONFIRMED it with sources.

It would be different if you were in hospice care or IC or something that seems inevitable. However, the guy responded to it and refuted the report HIMSELF. He was just out chilling one day, came home, and saw TMZ reported him dead.

• Like 1

Other than the occasional “shut up” it was normal for even the meanest heel to be respectful of the interviewer. That’s 1 of the little things that made our wrestling so great. I don’t know why, how, or anything about it but I know it just did. 

Now am I mixed up or was there some very politically incorrect promo that Sheiky did some time in the indies, that was infamous for a minute after his Brian Blair rant? It appeared on a dollar DVD bin DVD. It might have even been the first one because I for sure remember an OMG WRESTLING DEBUTS IN THE DOLLAR DVD BIN!!!! thread back in the day.