DVDVR Message Board

2023 Wrestling RIP Thread

The Bushwhackers were Vince's idea of how they could add to the WWF's wacky cast of characters.  I'm sure they saw they were making more money than they ever had before for a much easier time in the ring and decided to lean into it.  Can't blame them one bit.

• Like 5

From Facebook 

Late last night, I lost my friend, brother and tag team partner of over 50 years with the passing of Bob "Butch" Miller. My heart goes out to his wife Helen, his lovely daughters Sharon and Kirsten and all of his grandchildren. From the early-1970s when we were young mates wrestling for John da Silva in New Zealand, my first impression of Bob "The Chest" Miller (as he was called in those days) was that he was a first-class redneck, and what bloody redneck he was! But he was also an all-around good guy and a great friend. By the time we reached our mid-20s, we found ourselves traveling the world together, from New Zealand to Australia to Malaysia, Singapore and Japan, before "invading" the North American territories in Canada and the United States as The Sheepherders. In 1988 we were in our 40s and still at the top of our game when we got a call from the offices in Connecticut with an offer to join the largest and fastest growing wrestling promotion in the world, the WWF/E- The Bushwhackers were born! As The Bushwhackers we  appeared in the largest venues in the world, in front the the biggest crowds professional wrestling had ever seen! And we were eventually honored by our fans and peers with our inclusion in the WWE Hall of Fame in 2015 and the Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame in 2020. We did it all, we saw it all, and we accomplished it all together. This past weekend in Los Angeles, Bob flew in from New Zealand to join me for Wrestlemania weekend and the related festivities, neither of us knowing it would be our last days together and his last days of life. If you were to read the story of my life it would say that I am only child, but it would be wrong. In life I had a brother and his name was Bob Miller. I love you, Bob. Until I see you again, WOOOOAHH YEEEEAAHH!

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

I just heard about Butch. RIP to a great guy, who was part of a great couple of guys in the Bushwhackers. They were the most fan friendly 2 guys ever. They were always up in it with the fans. They didn’t walk by a fan without saying something, especially if it was a child and it usually was. They always had a minute for them. 

And saying the Bushwhackers were a shame was 1 of the dumbest, most assanine, inane, things THAT WE ALL SAID LOL while trying to sound like some kind of smart wrestling fan. The Bushwhackers were just great. 

I know all about The Sheepherders but am a little short on their matches. Didn’t Dave vote one 5 stars? 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

And saying the Bushwhackers were a shame was 1 of the dumbest, most assanine, inane, things THAT WE ALL SAID LOL while trying to sound like some kind of smart wrestling fan. The Bushwhackers were just great.

This, this, a million times this. To this day people bitch about VINCE RUINED THE SHEEPHERDERS HE MADE THEM CARTOONS. If someone wants to make me a cartoon and pay me the best money of my career while doing 75% less work in the process, all I can say is "bust out the pencils and animation cels because I'm rough-riding this shit to the bank."

• Like 11

WWE took one of the most terrifying heel tag-teams of all time and made believable babyfaces out of them.  Let's give the book some credit for once.   Vince probably extended their careers by several years, gave them a steady paycheck, and certainly improved their indy fed marketability once Luke and Butch decided to call it quits in the big leagues and call their own shots.

RIP Butch Miller.  I met him in Myrtle Beach when the semi-retired Bushwackers were working one of Italian Stallion's shows during Biker Week.  He was a really nice dude.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

On 4/3/2023 at 4:17 PM, odessasteps said:

The memory of the barbed wire cage matches between the Sheepherders and the Fantastics still burned into my brain. 

Good lord, Terry Taylor did a Canadian Destroyer off the top. Or something close. 

I love the Sheepherders/Bushwhackers. They were part of why I like wrestling, period. Their basic comedy played well to me as a kid and as an adult, when I found out they were insane maniacs, well... shit. They obviously were what I love about wrestling in a different way. Rest in peace, Butch. 

On 4/5/2023 at 3:02 AM, Cobra Commander said:

We kinda take a "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" approach to some things.

My approach to work is get your money and get the fuck out. I wasn't a huge Bushwhacker fan,  but if that gimmick extended their careers and fattened their bank account,  it gets two thumbs up from me. Being a pocket watching hater is all too common,  but that shit don't sit right with my soul. We all work to get paid,  so anyone securing a big ass bag gets nothing but congratulations from me. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, supremebve said:

if that gimmick extended their careers and fattened their bank account,  it gets two thumbs up from me

also a lot of the convention scene really got larger this century, but the Bushwhacker gimmick also helps for things like being able to do those appearances, which was also the reason that Butch was in the US for the first time in years

at the risk of being too speculative, it wouldn't shock me if it turned out that going on a long flight from New Zealand to LA had a role in his death (not saying it was the only/main factor). Butch's Wikipedia entry mentions two different ICU stays in the last 20 years and a neck injury/sepsis in 2001.

Then again, people thought for years that Chris Candido died from a blood clot caused by flying home with a broken leg (his brother says it was pneumonia.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Carlos Bribiesca Vargas, who wrestled out of Monterrey as Androide, was killed on the road on 4/30 at the age of 42. Bribiesca, his wife, and two other wrestlers were in a car driving from Laredo to Monterrey. The car got a flat tire and he pulled it over and tried to fix the tire when he was hit by a truck, and the driver drove the truck away. He was wrestling an also appearing as a background character on variety shows on Multimedios, which is the big TV network in Monterrey.

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

RIP Peggy Lee Leather at the age of 64. 

Loved her run as Thug in the original WOW

Headlined the mythical LPWA Super Ladies Showdown pay per view in 1992 as "Lady X", which I only knew about because PWI Almanac kept listing results from it years after the fact

• Like 2

Mark Billington, the father of the Billington Bulldogs tag team that works for MLW and on Canadian indies, passed away on 6/1. He’s the younger brother of Tom Billington, the Dynamite Kid

• Sad 1