DVDVR Message Board

2023 Wrestling RIP Thread

42 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I have heard the particular move/accident and how it got screwed up enough where I may have as well seen what happened. I think because of the severity of the injury though, they never released the footage. A fancam version may exist somewhere, but I don't believe it made official TV unless it was briefly on LiveWire or some syndicated show.

The footage of Droz being lifted on the stretcher was in the "don't try this at home" PSAs for years (with his permission to be included), but the match never aired since it was on a Smackdown taping. I distinctly remember it being replaced with a Big Show match from the Heat taping earlier in the night because the ring skirt and banners changed to the Heat banners for no reason during that match.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

The footage of Droz being lifted on the stretcher was in the "don't try this at home" PSAs for years (with his permission to be included), but the match never aired since it was on a Smackdown taping. I distinctly remember it being replaced with a Big Show match from the Heat taping earlier in the night because the ring skirt and banners changed to the Heat banners for no reason during that match.

Okay, that definitely makes sense cause I remember seeing that in those ads.

I don't think the Genius/Chuck Austin vs. The Rockers match ever aired, but the WWF footage of the finish with the rocket dropper that went bad and Shawn doing the splash on Austin has his legs crossed in a totally unnatural manner is out there.

I think their policy may have changed over the years. There is a match on a taped Raw from July 1993 (Google shows aired on 7/12 and was taped the week prior on 7/5) where PJ Walker aka Justin Credible gets absolutely destroyed by the Headshrinkers and looks in the same shape as Austin did after he accidently takes Marty's move as a DDT instead of going face down. Fortunately (or unfortunately), it was a case of PJ getting knocked out cold and not paralyzed but they kept going for 2-3 minutes. Keep in mind, I believe the Chuck Austin lawsuit was going on at the same time. If he was looking to cash out instead of being a really good sport about and also really wanting to make it in pro wrestling, he could have sue the shit out of them especially had he been injured worst. They aired the footage on TV and it was clearly a case of one (if not both even though Samu appears to be the biggest offender) of his opponents/co-workers not taking care of him in the ring.

I believe I saw (not purposefully just posted in a thread on a message board at the time) some fan pictures from the Droz accident posted online shortly after it happened (if I remember the angle didn’t really show anything but D’lo’s back for the accident and a shot of Droz going up for the powerbomb) but I don’t remember any fan cam footage being talked about, thankfully. 

The Villano and Buff ones I remember pretty clearly. Especially the Villano one because of Ravens immediate breaking of kayfabe to try to help really let you know something bad happened.

• Like 2

I was at the Austin WWE Smackdown taping where Edge made his debut and at the time everyone thought he broke Estrada's neck.

I also have a memory of seeing Droz's accident but it must be a Mandela Effect.

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

I was at the Austin WWE Smackdown taping where Edge made his debut and at the time everyone thought he broke Estrada's neck.

I also have a memory of seeing Droz's accident but it must be a Mandela Effect.

That was a Raw from June 1998. That was indeed in Austin. That was the same night Austin got the fake blood bath courtesy of Kane's magical powers since it was the go home show for King of the Ring.

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

Kanyon and Raven did a Powerbomb neckbreaker combo and he got legit hurt. Raven got on the mic and immediately called for medical assistance 

IIRC, it was partially because there was a trap door built into the ring, for the stupid Warrior program w Hogan. 

Edited by odessasteps

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

IIRC, it was partially because there was a trap door built into the ring, for the stupid Warrior program w Hogan. 

I thought that was for the Davey Boy injury. Unless it was for both?

11 minutes ago, Peck said:

I thought that was for the Davey Boy injury. Unless it was for both?

Yup. I was at that Nitro in Boston. Warrior had Disciple in the rafters and it was the week after Flair’s big return.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Apparently Mike Halac who was known mostly as Mantaur in the WWF has passed away today

His daughter announced his passing. He passed away in his sleep at only the age of 55

On 7/10/2023 at 4:42 PM, zendragon said:

Kanyon and Raven did a Powerbomb neckbreaker combo and he got legit hurt. Raven got on the mic and immediately called for medical assistance 

Here's the video. Raven didn't actually call for assistance over the house mic, but he immediately let Pee-Wee Anderson know V-4 was hurt, got down and stabilized him until the paramedics could hit the ring.

https://youtu.be/eNTOyl5WzY8?t=225

3 hours ago, elizium said:

I didn't realize that he was also Tank in the Truth Commission

Mantaur was also Goldust's bodyguard for the Goldust/Warrior non-match at In Your House (maybe because they needed a dude who could bump for the Warrior and the show was close to where he lived)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Mantaur was also Goldust's bodyguard for the Goldust/Warrior non-match at In Your House (maybe because they needed a dude who could bump for the Warrior and the show was close to where he lived)

That was a strange one because the WWF could have parlayed that one appearance into something more. In 1996, it felt they were using roughly the same 15 people on TV. Many of them were enhancement talent like TL Hopper, Freddie Joe Floyd, The Pug, Aldo Montoya, etc. Why not give the guy a shot to redeem himself after Bruce saddled him with his marijuana session idea?

• Like 2

the WWF seemingly had no solid idea of what to do with Goldust after he won the IC title but they put him in there with a lot of top dudes

• Wrestlemania 12: the Backlot Brawl with Piper that was gonna be a rematch with Razor Ramon if not for his giving notice drug test
  • Good Friends Better Enemies: the non-match with the Warrior
  • Beware of Dog: Beating the Undertaker in a Casket Match
  • KOTR 96: Losing the IC title to Ahmed
  • International Incident: No Contest with the Undertaker
  • Summerslam: Beating Marc Mero
  • Mind Games: Losing to the Undertaker
  • Survivor Series: the Rocky Maivia debut match

Along with two IYH dark matches between Rumble and Survivor Series. One match with the Undertaker in Louisville and a dark match with HBK at Buried Alive

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Along with two IYH dark matches between Rumble and Survivor Series. One match with the Undertaker in Louisville and a dark match with HBK at Buried Alive

Ladder Match with HBK in Toronto

Edited by Dolphman 3000