DVDVR Message Board

2023 Wrestling RIP Thread

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The Jarretts vs the Stud Stable

jerry calls Robert the bastard son of the milk man 

That's fresh considering the original Double J was supposedly a bastard son of the Fullers. Oh well real life heat brother.  RIP J-E-Double R-Y J-A-Double R-E-Double T

Edited by Serious Darius Bagfelt

• 2 weeks later...

From the new WON

This is actually a few weeks old, but we just found out this past week that Herlinda Guerrero passed away this past week. Herlinda is the widow of Salvador “Gori” Guerrero, and the mother of Salvador Guerrero Jr. (Chavo Guerrero), Eddy Guerrero, Hector Guerrero and Armando (Mando) Guerrero, grandmother of Salvador Guerrero III (Chavo Jr.) and Shaul Guerrero, and mother-in-law of Vickie Lara Guerrero. She was 92. Born Herlinda Yanez, she was the sister of Enrique, Mario and Sergio Yanez, all pro wrestlers. Enrique, who used the spelling Enrique Llanes, was a major star who held the Mexican national light heavyweight title and NWA world middleweight title, plus had a famous 1949 mask vs. hair match with El Santo, and you can figure out what happened there. Herlinda was 17 when she married Salvador “Gori” Guerrero, then 26, in 1947. She was 18 when Chavo was born the next year and was 37 when Eddy was born. Gori Guerrero, who started wrestling as a tag team with his brothers in 1937 at the age of 16, went on to become one of the biggest stars in the history of pro wrestling in Mexico, promoted wrestling in El Paso and Ciudad Juarez, and trained amateur and pro wrestlers. While Eddy and Chavo in particular were major stars in the U.S. All four sons were extremely talented pro wrestlers. Chavo and Eddy both were among the best workers of their respective primes. Eddy became legendary after his death because so many of the modern wrestlers grew up on him and revered him as an incredible in-ring worker. While Eddy was the most famous family member worldwide, Gori was the most famous in Mexico, where he was a living legend as and part of Los Parejas Atomico (The Atomic Pair), the most famous tag team in the history of Mexican wrestling, with El Santo. He was also the inventor of the camel clutch, called la caballo in Mexico, which he brought to the U.S. and The Sheik took as his finisher and all kinds of heels used it in the U.S. Santo and El Hijo del Santo in Mexico also used the move as their finishers with Santo using it from the tag team. Herlinda’s father was part of the Mexican Revolution. She also did an angle when Eddy was feuding the JBL over the WWE title, where she had a worked heart attack in the stands when they did a house show match in El Paso

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

21 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Jeff Gaylord has a few mentions in the book "Football For A Buck" by Jeff Pearlman (about the USFL), the longest of which is quoted in the Slam piece.

He also had an episode of Crime In Sports dedicated to him.

• 2 weeks later...

I think as time goes on, the "it's a shame the Sheepherders became the Bushwhackers" take has evolved into realizing that the Bushwhackers were sort of their retirement/later years gift of a gimmick where they didn't have to mess themselves up and got paid better.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The memory of the barbed wire cage matches between the Sheepherders and the Fantastics still burned into my brain. 

They were the scariest heels to me back then, just violent and crazy. It blew my mind when they became the Bushwhackers and made me laugh when some of my friends who only knew WWF wouldn’t believe that they were just on TV as bloodthirsty bad guys.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

I think as time goes on, the "it's a shame the Sheepherders became the Bushwhackers" take has evolved into realizing that the Bushwhackers were sort of their retirement/later years gift of a gimmick where they didn't have to mess themselves up and got paid better.

Yeah you look at their heads you can see the punishment they put on themselves and others put on it.   And that was with about 5 to 8 years of not even needing to carry a blade much use one.  

Although I seriously doubt that Vince viewed this a "retirement/later years gift".    Maybe they did

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 3