DVDVR Message Board

2023 Wrestling RIP Thread

Another sad death in the wrestling world: Rich Landrum quietly passed away on August 14. He is remembered fondly by Mid-Atlantic Wrestling fans as the host of Jim Crockett Promotions' World Wide Wrestling show from 1978 - 1982.

On 8/23/2023 at 6:32 PM, odessasteps said:

Mike Mooneyham reported that Abe Jacobs at age 95. 

‘’hopefully that doesn’t get completely buried by the other news. 

the thing where Abe Jacobs either refused to teach the Kiwi Leg Roll or didn't know how to teach it so it's sort of a lost move is interesting. Like how many other lost moves are there because nobody really figured out how to do it

44 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

the thing where Abe Jacobs either refused to teach the Kiwi Leg Roll or didn't know how to teach it so it's sort of a lost move is interesting. Like how many other lost moves are there because nobody really figured out how to do it

I saw a clip of Chono in NJPW trying to do the Fuller Leg Lock. 

On 8/28/2023 at 10:14 PM, BloodyChamp said:

I never knew about Ox on The Price is Right wow. The same guy who stirred up a rasslin riot is just hanging out on The Price is Right.

Dude, it's the Price Is Right. Stalin could have played Plinko and we'd have forgiven his war atrocities.

• Haha 1

Growing up in a combination of WCCW / Mid South country (East Texas / Shreveport), to this day Adnan is one of those territory guys that is way more famous with casual fans than his actual role on the show entailed.

I think every territory has guys like that. When I mention wrestling to the ~50-60 year old crowd he’s one of the first names mentioned. Along with JYD (obviously), Kamala and Dr Death. Sort of like how the older-than-that crowd (let’s call it 70-80) names Haystacks Calhoun. 

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 3

On 9/6/2023 at 7:06 PM, odessasteps said:

Here’s pod I did with my pal Ashraf on the Gulf War angle in 91, which we lived thru in college at the time., as a relatively new Observer reader. 

https://www.odessasteps.co.uk/podcast/2021/3/5/episode-ninety-six-the-sheik-of-araby

*gets to the part about

Spoiler

doubting Cody would go back to the WWE

and laughs*

Sawyer's an interesting one. We had the Portland footage including the bonkers-that-it-exists Flair defense, but the network gave us the Jake match and stuff with the Road Warriors where he looked really good and then Bryan Turner on Youtube is giving us all of the southern indy things from fifteen years later which is really too much for anyone to go through but he does come off well from what I saw. I have no idea what he was doing in ... let's say 1988 or 1992 for instance to make his case but the capstones are interesting.

EDIT: Weirdly I combined the Sawyers and then the other one passed away anyway. Very strange.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1