Vader

Davey Boy Smith

Owen Hart

Yokozuna

Mantaur

Jimmy Del Ray

Rip Oliver

Dick Murdoch

That's 11 just off the top of my head. There's definitely more if you consider all the guys Cornette managed in Memphis when he was Jimmy Hart's assistant.

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Not that I see a correlation, but how many folks did Cornette managed throughout his career have passed on? We gotta be in the double digits.

Sherri, Adrian, Bobby, Mantaur (recently), Owen, Davey, Yoko, Rip Oliver, Bruiser Bedlam. I think Frank Morell in a gimmick in Memphis or Chattanooga.  Murdoch every so often in WCW and later SMW. Have to check about Mike Boyette. 

14 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Bobby Eaton

Sherri Martel

Buddy Landel

Vader

Davey Boy Smith

Owen Hart

Yokozuna

Mantaur

Jimmy Del Ray

Rip Oliver

Dick Murdoch

That's 11 just off the top of my head. There's definitely more if you consider all the guys Cornette managed in Memphis when he was Jimmy Hart's assistant.

14 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Sherri, Adrian, Bobby, Mantaur (recently), Owen, Davey, Yoko, Rip Oliver, Bruiser Bedlam. I think Frank Morell in a gimmick in Memphis or Chattanooga.  Murdoch every so often in WCW and later SMW. Have to check about Mike Boyette. 

If you count Ray Traylor as Big Bubba, that's another. He managed the Briscoes Brothers briefly so you have to add Jay Briscoe.

I just happen to see Memphis episode from 82 over the weekend where he managed Morrell and Jerry Novak. Is Morrell still alive? I cannot find a death date.

There are A LOT of guys who faded into obscurity once they left wrestling and chosen to basically divorce themselves from the business. It's weird how often you get the "yeah, _________ died three weeks ago but we just want to confirm it" reported by a loved one on Facebook or Twitter. Lucha guys I can understand cause of the language barrier and the news might not travel as fast unless it's someone notable. There are territory guys who haven't been heard from in almost 40 years who may have an odd picture of them fairly recently from like a fanfest or convention or Cauliflower Alley. 

33 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Yeah, I've found that when looking I to get some relatively obscure territory era guys on the podcast. Off the grid. 

This is purely coincidence, but on my 1994 rewatch I just watched the go home show for SMW's magnum opus, Night of Legends. Over the last several weeks, easily the best part of the show is Les Thatcher doing the Legends report. It's a lot of the same information, but the way Les delivers make it feel unique, fascinating, and important. The final one though is a bit different cause we're six days out and apparently Cornette and/or the folks who work for him have lost touch with some people who were (I'm assuming) tentatively scheduled to be part of the festivities. Those people happen to Joe LeDuc and Ron Fuller. I guess they didn't have a good phone number for LeDuc or just cannot get in touch with a relative or someone close to him. Ron...it just seems like they asked him to come, he said maybe, and never got back to them. It's wild to have Les basically beg someone to contact them like a missed connections in a newspaper, but thirty years ago, if you could not find them in a telephone book then good luck.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, zendragon said:

Adrian Neville should have been a heavy set guy doing an R&B gimmick 

I'd pick any of the Neville Brothers in a fight over Pac.  First, I've never met a single person from New Orleans who wasn't ready to fight at the drop of a dime, and second, Aaron Neville had a knife tattooed on his face about 10 years before face tattoos became even remotely fashionable.  

• Like 4

On 7/31/2023 at 7:09 PM, Happ Hazzard said:

Bobby Eaton

Sherri Martel

Buddy Landel

Vader

Davey Boy Smith

Owen Hart

Yokozuna

Mantaur

Jimmy Del Ray

Rip Oliver

Dick Murdoch

Cornette also managed Well Dunn in the WWF, both of whom have passed away. 

Nevermind, I just realized Harvey Wippleman managed Well Dunn. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

21 hours ago, supremebve said:

I'd pick any of the Neville Brothers in a fight over Pac.  First, I've never met a single person from New Orleans who wasn't ready to fight at the drop of a dime, and second, Aaron Neville had a knife tattooed on his face about 10 years before face tattoos became even remotely fashionable.  

Imagine if Keith Lee had been given an Aaron Neville gimmick in NXT, he’s got some pipes

On 8/1/2023 at 4:38 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Cornette also managed Well Dunn in the WWF, both of whom have passed away. 

Nevermind, I just realized Harvey Wippleman managed Well Dunn. 

But Jim did manage Hercules (Hernandez) in Mid-South so that's another one.

On 7/31/2023 at 7:10 PM, odessasteps said:

Boyette (AKA Apocalypse) did pass away a few years ago.

• 2 weeks later...