DVDVR Message Board

2023 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

14 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I once rented Batman and Robin, walked a mile home, watched 20 minutes, hit eject, walked a mile back to the store and asked if I could switch it out for another movie.

I feel like I'm picking on you.  But tell me you're...  nah, I won't do the same joke again. 

But seriously, I know B&R is a bad movie, hell, it's the angriest I've ever been coming out of a movie theater.  But, I've come to appreciate it as just high queer camp.  Basically every sub-40 year old lesbian I know will point at Uma as Poison Ivy and say *THAT* was the moment I knew.   And the guys... well, they wanted Chris O'Donnell, but they wanted to be Poison Ivy. 🙂 

Honestly, just go into that movie with no seriousness...  the whole thing is just silly.  You may come to ... well, not like it, but it definitely will be better than you remember. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I feel like I'm picking on you.  But tell me you're...  nah, I won't do the same joke again. 

But seriously, I know B&R is a bad movie, hell, it's the angriest I've ever been coming out of a movie theater.  But, I've come to appreciate it as just high queer camp.  Basically every sub-40 year old lesbian I know will point at Uma as Poison Ivy and say *THAT* was the moment I knew.   And the guys... well, they wanted Chris O'Donnell, but they wanted to be Poison Ivy. 🙂 

Honestly, just go into that movie with no seriousness...  the whole thing is just silly.  You may come to ... well, not like it, but it definitely will be better than you remember. 

Apparently my taste in movies is my toxic CIS hetero trait!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Execproducer said:

Yeah? Who's theory was that? Ron Fullers?

It wasn’t Ron. It’s something like this. When Ron became a heel in Knoxville, he was wearing those ornate cowboy hats and sporting a mustache and was a cocky wise cracking heel. The question is who would have seen it outside of East z Tennessee, maybe Memphis and maybe St Louis. I don’t recall if he was doing shots on TBS then.  I wouldn’t say it’s a believable theory, but one worth sharing. 😀

Edited by odessasteps

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

Only movie I walked out of in a theater was Magnolia.  Now movies I've turned off streaming...

When I saw that in theater, there was an older couple sitting in front of me. When Tom Cruise hit the screen and said his first line, they had gathered their coats and were walking out before the "...nt" in the C-word had left his mouth.

44 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

It wasn’t Ron. It’s something like this. When Ron became a heel in Knoxville, he was wearing those ornate cowboy hats and sporting a mustache and was a cocky wise cracking heel. The question is who would have seen it outside of East z Tennessee, maybe Memphis and maybe St Louis. I don’t recall if he was doing shots on TBS then.  I wouldn’t say it’s a believable theory, but one worth sharing. 😀

Ah. I was wondering if it hung on Hal Needham being from Tennessee but obviously he'd have been living and working in California decades before Fuller had even debuted. it's a theory, I suppose, but Fuller didn't invent that look and I doubt Burt Reynolds needed any inspiration to be a cocky ass. 

8 hours ago, JLowe said:

Apparently my taste in movies is my toxic CIS hetero trait!

Same.

EDIT: Wait, never mind, I didn't see the Moulin Rouge comment that instigated much of this.  You're out of your fucking mind, that movie is great.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I think I've only walked out of three movies in the theater: Blast From the Past, Battlefield Earth, and Castaway.

You're crazy, Blast from the Past is great. My number 1 guilty pleasure movie. Before cord cutting it was one of those movies that I would watch every time I came across it playing, no matter what point in the movie it's at.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Batman & Robin blew chunks.

i'm with you on that. Batman Forever  is the great unappreciated Bat flick that's best viewed as a love letter to the 60s series. B&R is just actively terrible on so many levels.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elizium said:

You're crazy, Blast from the Past is great. My number 1 guilty pleasure movie. Before cord cutting it was one of those movies that I would watch every time I came across it playing, no matter what point in the movie it's at.

I will disagree with you about the quality of Blast From The Past but in my defense it was 2am and I was screening it for work.

I don't think I've ever walked out of a movie unless there was a technical issue, like Thor: Love & Thunder last year (which of course I saw the next day).  And that includes going to the theater to see:

In the Army Now

Blair Witch Project 2: Book of Shadows

The Brando/Kilmer Island of Dr. Moreau

Clearly I will grit out absolutely anything if I paid money to be there.

Except for Dark Souls.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I will disagree with you about the quality of Blast From The Past but in my defense it was 2am and I was screening it for work.

It just hits a good sweet spot for me between saccharine and goofy. Walken and Spacek give great weirdo performances and Dave Foley is my favourite Kid. Plus, I would 100% live in the 1950s suburban home bomb shelter. 

• Like 1

I love Moulin Rouge!

But, then, I also think Batman & Robin is one of most underrated movies of all-time. It was a terrible decision of what direction to go in, but it does what it's trying to do damn near flawlessly.

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

i'm with you on that. Batman Forever  is the great unappreciated Bat flick that's best viewed as a love letter to the 60s series. B&R is just actively terrible on so many levels.

Forever, on the other hand, is just indefensibly awful and one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The dirt worst live action Batman ever.

• Sad 2

I don’t have an issue with walking out of a movie if I’m bored (or my wife is), so we do it somewhat regularly, particularly with superhero movies.

The unquestioned champion of movies that don’t do it for us is the Thor franchise.  We made it through Thor: Ragnarok but walked out on all three of the other films in the franchise.  We bailed on Dark World twice.  I still haven’t seen it in it’s entirety.

Also memorably walked out on the first Raimi Spider-Man film, Captain America: Winter Soldier, Captain America: Civil War, the second Guardian of the Galaxy movie, the Depp Lone Ranger movie, and probably too many others to name.  

On 4/16/2023 at 7:47 PM, christopher.annino said:

I've never seen Smokey And The Bandit, until tonight (to justify this month's Netflix billing). Absolute masterpiece. However, it's wild that a generation of folks raised on such anti-authority media became such hardcore bootlickers.

Speaking of, is anyone here aware that there are technically seven (7) Smokey and the Bandit movies?

Smokey and the Bandit
Smokey and the Bandit II
Smokey and the Bandit III
Bandit: Bandit Goes Country
Bandit: Bandit, Bandit
Bandit: Bandit and the Angel
Bandit: Bandit's Silver Angel

I think the only movie I ever walked out on was Summer of Sam. My wife and I came close to walking out during the middle of Glass.

I wish I would have walked out of Battlefield Earth, but the caveat there is when I worked at the movie theater, on Thursdays you'd stay late, rotate the film platters while other people would work on cutting up new trailers, and then you'd preview whatever the movie coming out that weekend was going to be. Battlefield Earth was by far the biggest piece of shit I have ever seen. So mind you, we can't do this until the theater is empty and the last movie is out. That means when we start Battlefield Earth, it's probably close to 2 am. And we're not getting paid for this time. The managers are salaried and they're getting extra pay, but us ushers, concessions, and film booth employees aren't getting anything extra. Our pay probably stopped at 11 pm or midnight. So there's a bunch of us extra pissed off that Friday because we all left the theater after 4 am because we stayed to watched Battlefield fucking Earth.

Although, you have to take the bad with the good, because basically getting your own private screening for shit like Gladiator was fucking dope. That was also one of the heaviest movie platters we had to move. The longer the movie, the more film, the bigger the platter for it. I think it took 3 or 4 of us to move it. The Insider was another huge, backbreaking platter to move.

Anyway, tangent over. I kinda miss some of those days.

• Like 3

My wife had a bad GI flare-up during Solo and had to leave, and has still never seen the rest of the movie nor does she have any interest based on what she did see. I've never been able to finish a rewatch. 

The only one I walked out on was Monkey Bone and that was due to technical difficulties. THe whole family went to see it and I wanted to stay. But my parents noped the hell out of there.  I dont go to the movies too much, and if I do, its for something I know I want to se.

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Speaking of, is anyone here aware that there are technically seven (7) Smokey and the Bandit movies?

Smokey and the Bandit
Smokey and the Bandit II
Smokey and the Bandit III
Bandit: Bandit Goes Country
Bandit: Bandit, Bandit
Bandit: Bandit and the Angel
Bandit: Bandit's Silver Angel

i was randomly at a truckstop the other day (I-80, the world's largest truck stop!) and saw a compilation of these 7 movies and was floored. i knew of 1-3 but didn't know they had a whole spinoff Bandit series. turns out they were prequel made-for-tv films from the 90s.

I think a better question almost would be how many legit bad films have you seen in the theater? For me:

Dracula Dead and Loving It (sorry Leslie, sorry Mel. I did love the staking scene though)

Batman Forever

Godzilla '98

Super Mario Bros. 

Wishmaster

Candyman 2

Leprechaun 2

off the top of my head. And the first movie I ever saw when I was five years old? Drumroll please...

Masters of the Universe

• Like 2