DVDVR Message Board

2023 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Ok. Best bad movie?

Speed Racer.

Also, Street Fighter was another candidate for so bad it's good, but that's because how utterly cheezy it was, with Raul Julia still the World Record holder for "Most scenery chewed per second on screen" (Someone get Nate Silver to find a way to algorithmically determine an actors "MSCPSOS."

Edited by SirFozzie

19 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Tilda Swinton would dominate that category.

I can see her putting up Hall of Fame level MSCPSOS for Movie after Movie, but you can't tell me Raul "I'm doing this for my kids" didn't set the all-time record.

Now that I think about it, Nicholas Cage would be in the MSCPSOS Hall of Fame as the career record holder, but dunno if he's taken Scenery Chewing Enhancement Devices

Edited by SirFozzie

I've only walked out of two movies:

Darkman - hated the beginning; when they cut off the dude's fingers, my girlfriend & I were done. 

Cloverfield - got physically ill from the stupid camerawork. Just couldn't take it. Left after about 20 minutes. Took several hours to recover. 

I will pretty much watch any movie all the way through. 

• Like 1

I don’t remember ever leaving a movie. I’m pretty picky about what I see in the theatre in the first place, so rarely do I see things that are that bad to me. I’ve definitely seen boring movies, but I’ll usually tough them out, I paid for them.

Plus, I am enchanted by the magic of the cinema 

Edited by elizium
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

I've only walked out of two movies:

Darkman - hated the beginning; when they cut off the dude's fingers, my girlfriend & I were done. 

Cloverfield - got physically ill from the stupid camerawork. Just couldn't take it. Left after about 20 minutes. Took several hours to recover. 

I will pretty much watch any movie all the way through. 

I used to half jokingly say Darkman was the best Batman movie that has been made at that point in time. 

• Like 1

Re: Tilda
How on earth does Tilda Swinton, one of the finest contemporary actors, fit into a 'chewed scenery' category? I know she does a lot of movies, I guess I'll assume I've missed some of her rare fare for cash. Even then, what's the role calling for? Certainly she's a character actor, but that doesn't equal 'chewed sceneary'. Not sure it'd have much of a fanbase here(?), but I recommend checking out her recent turn in Weerasethakul's 'Memoria' to see Tilda stretch it out. Tho, you'll have to find a screening. Tons of other examples all over everyone's apps.

Re: Walking Out
I walked out of the Rum Diaries with Johnny Depp and Amber Heard. Johnny had moved well passed his expiry date at that point and I kinda knew it would be awful. I went with a pal with the point of seeing if we could indeed get our money back within a window of time. Indeed we did. I can't recall any walkouts? I feel confident I know how to forecast, tho, there have been a few CG hero's quests that I've been incredibly bored thru. I had free passes and intended to walk out of the first Transformers, but I enjoyed the first portion and just stuck through the latter mindless smash 'em up videogame portion.

EDIT:
"Chew (up the) scenery means 'to act melodramatically; overact'. Usually, it's in the context of a play or movie, but it can refer to an aunt of yours who is a frustrated actress. The connotation, either positive or negative, depends on whether the overacting is appropriate to the role or occasion."

I'd never really thought of it as having a positive connotation, so I'll stand corrected. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, elizium said:

Now The Monster Squad is bad? I don’t know guys, I just don’t know…

Any movie where you win by kicking Wolfman in the nards is not bad.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I never walked out of a movie due to how bad it was and I saw Almost Heroes in the theater! But, I was saved from seeing the last third of I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry due to getting a text from my Mom that her basement was flooding. I used to have a boss who would proudly boast that him and his family left The Flintstones movie and got their money back.

Edited by Mister TV

12 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Long posts here. About a going to a movie, and then a trailer I saw before the movie.

Had a bit of an uh-oh moment. I decided to go to the 11:30 am Mario Movie showing at Regal Bellingham (MA). Why a Tuesday matinee? because, well, there's not a lot of folks going to theaters at that time. It helps with my anxiety/social discomfort (If I get overwhelmed, I can glance at my phone for a minute or two and not bother folks if there's no one nearby) On the way over, I saw a school sign I really should have seen before hand. "Have a great Spring Vacation 4/17-4/20. "Oh yeah, that's right. April Vacation week. And I'm going to see a movie that every kid's going to want to watch, in the middle of the day when most parents are desperate to get their kids out of the house.

(Insert expletives here)

I almost turned around and went home at that moment. And again when I got to the theater and there was about 60-80 people (majority kids) in the theater for the showing.

(insert louder expletives here)

As it turns out, there was a semi-solution, that helped me, so I'm passing it on just in case someone you know has the same issue. Theaters (especially chains like Regal) have headphones for folks who are hard of hearing or have social anxiety (like me). It helped tune out all the kids cross chatter and mostly focus on the movie. It was still a lot to deal with (there's a reason up to recently I hadn't gone to a theater in years), but it got me threw the movie without wanting to leave due to anxiety.

Agreed that it can be annoying, but there's a certain expectation of some chatter from kids in a kids' movie. So, when we went to see Mario, this kid sits by us with what appeared to be his mom and grandma. The kid talked a little, nothing too bad. But the mom and grandma WOULD NOT SHUT THE FUCK UP! They chatted like they were at home watching by themselves. It was so fucking irritating. My daughter shushed them multiple times and nothing.

I almost lost it when the grandma practically yelled, "Oh! He looks different with his hat off!" in response to Mario, you know, taking his hat off.

5 minutes ago, Log said:

Agreed that it can be annoying, but there's a certain expectation of some chatter from kids in a kids' movie. So, when we went to see Mario, this kid sits by us with what appeared to be his mom and grandma. The kid talked a little, nothing too bad. But the mom and grandma WOULD NOT SHUT THE FUCK UP! They chatted like they were at home watching by themselves. It was so fucking irritating. My daughter shushed them multiple times and nothing.

I almost lost it when the grandma practically yelled, "Oh! He looks different with his hat off!" in response to Mario, you know, taking his hat off.

Yeah, as I said, that's why I go to matinees. When I went to the D&D movie, I went to a similar time showing (11:25) and I was the only person in the theater, which meant I didn't need the headphones, as if I needed, I could look at the phone for a minute without bothering folks (plus it cut out the cross chatter which made it hard for me to concentrate on screen). Couldn't really do that in a theater full of kids. But it's not a poor me moment, I'll just wait till spring break week is done to go back

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

I used to have a boss who would proudly boast that him and his family left The Flintstones movie and got their money back.

I find people trying to get their money back because a movie sucked interesting. I can see if the movie experience was somehow ruined. If the sound or picture was bad or someone in the audience was being obnoxious. That's on the theater. But you chose to see the movie. I always feel like there's a risk you're agreeing to there. I don't feel like the theater itself should be financially responsible for your choice.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Log said:

I find people trying to get their money back because a movie sucked interesting. I can see if the movie experience was somehow ruined. If the sound or picture was bad or someone in the audience was being obnoxious. That's on the theater. But you chose to see the movie. I always feel like there's a risk you're agreeing to there. I don't feel like the theater itself should be financially responsible for your choice.

It takes a special kind of asshole to ask for your money back due to the movie being bad, him and his wife were those kind of assholes. When I was an Assistant Manager at Blockbuster, I gave people their money back if the movie was bad, purely due to being broken in the same way Luke was in Cool Hand Luke when boss told him to "get the dirt out of his yard".

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, elizium said:

Now The Monster Squad is bad? I don’t know guys, I just don’t know…

Any movie with *this scene* in it can not in any way shape or form, be "bad"

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yes.

and Josie & The Pussycats.

Oh yeah. That needs to be a "watch-together" double feature.

And if you want to know my definition of chewing scenery (in a movie that shouldn't exist, but somehow does). Look at Paul Heyman in the Rollerball de-make (kinda lika remake, but they made it much worse). Paul Heyman's character is chewing the scenery in just about every shot he's seen (or heard) in.  That little bit of "I'm having a blast playing this role and I want you to know I'm enjoying myself" moments)

Heath Ledger in the Dark Knight doesn't overact.. well.. he does. But he's having a motherfucking BLAST leaning into the role, and he wants you to know he's having a motherfucking BLAST.

Raul Julia in the Street Fighter movie is a bit of a similar kick to it. He knows that the lines he's throwing out there are completely, utterly, and ridiculously over the top, and he's loving the ridiculousness of it, and he wants to make you enjoy how ridiculous it is. And he does it.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yes.

and Josie & The Pussycats.

Hey, Josie & The Pussycats isn't a good bad movie it's a good movie that had really terrible marketing.

But then again I still have Pretend To Be Nice and Three Small Words on multiple playlists so I'm not an objective source.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Hey, Josie & The Pussycats isn't a good bad movie it's a good movie that had really terrible marketing.

But then again I still have Pretend To Be Nice and Three Small Words on multiple playlists so I'm not an objective source.

Dude. And I thought I was alone in that. Three Small Words are such girlpop classics

• Like 3

Ok. just a random subject change: What is the funniest/most absurd fight scene in movies.

For me, there's at least two types. One is the Jackie Chan fights through props (I call it fighting parkour)

The other type I can think of is where it's obvious that one side is better but they just draw it out in slap stick fashion.

46 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

Ok. just a random subject change: What is the funniest/most absurd fight scene in movies.

I am in a working group meeting today with a British sustainment brigade, Fozzie.  Quit asking questions that I cannot answer during a 15 minute break.

That query requires serious thought.

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

I did not mean to imply that I thought Josie & the Pussycats was a bad movie.  It is the height of consumerism satire right up there with Dawn of the Dead, In Fabric, and The Menu.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1