DVDVR Message Board

2023 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I'm of the opinion that Roberts and Rourke ruin that movie, the supporting cast is what makes it decent. The film version of Vincent Patrick's other novel Family Business was also ruined by the casting, Sean Connery as an Irishman who's accent is even worse than The Untouchables so halfway through they just make him Scottish, Dustin Hoffman as his Irish/Italian son and Matthew Broderick as the half jewish grandson/son.

Went to see SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE yesterday with my 11-year-old daughter. She thought it was good. I honestly couldn't care less -- laughed a few times and I appreciated the 90-minute run time -- but it wasn't anything memorable. Daughter later said she thought the two SONIC movies were better.

My daughter also has the soul of a 35-year-old, complaining during the trailers and ads that "everything's a remake or sequel these days." (By "ad," I mean nothing more than a title card of a film expected to come out down the line). She did like the trailer for "Trolls Band Together." When I explained that's a sequel, she shot back, "But I like 'Trolls' -- that's different."

Saw trailers for six films -- four as part of "Super Mario Bros." and two provided by the theater -- remember, the theater is in a 55+ community, so those two films are strictly for grown-ups ...

FAST X

TRANSFORMERS RISE OF THE BEAT

TMNT: MUTANT MAYHEM

TROLLS BAND TOGETHER

BOOK CLUB: THE NEXT CHAPTER

LOVE AGAIN (that movie with Celine Dion)

My daughter liked the "Love Again" trailer because it was "not a sequel or a remake," but couldn't tell you a thing about it outside of "the woman sang very loudly." She also complained about "Book Club," saying it's a "film for old women" and she couldn't imagine "people buying tickets for it."

As part of a reward for being part of the school's safety patrol, my daughter and other patrol members will be going on a field trip to said theater in May to watch the Julia Roberts film "Wonder." Conversation in the car ...

Daughter: "And we're going to have a theater all to ourselves and we're getting snacks and a taco lunch!"

Me: "Awesome."

Daughter: "And you know what? There will be more people in our theater than the one showing 'Book Club'. But I think 'Super Mario Bros.' will do better."

She's turning into a film critic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, colonial said:

Went to see SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE yesterday with my 11-year-old daughter. She thought it was good. I honestly couldn't care less -- laughed a few times and I appreciated the 90-minute run time -- but it wasn't anything memorable. Daughter later said she thought the two SONIC movies were better.

We saw it yesterday with the kids, including being the 5 year old's first movie and it seemed weirdly unfinished to me. I certainly appreciated the easter eggs and the little bits of specific familiar movement in the animation and musical cues, but it felt weirdly unpolished compared to similar movies. Peach didn't have an arc despite them referencing her past. A lot of the dialogue felt like a first draft placeholder in the sort of "Yeah, that's what I'm saying." kind of banter instead of something that hit a mark. It was very weird to have the Bowser/Mario relationship be so one sided. Bowser was watching him and building him up in his head the whole way and Mario didn't really have any idea of him. Either it tried to do too much in 90 minutes and should have done less (they could have left the Kongs out entirely and done it as a race against Bowser for the Star and still gotten to the same end point) or it really needed another half an hour.

• Like 1

Watched Superman (1978) last Sunday at the cinema for its 45th anniversary this year. All these years later Christopher Reeve is still the definitive Kal-El/Clark Kent/Superman, he's on the Mount Rushmore of comic book castings. Seeing Clark Kent, you'd never think he was the Man of Steel. Margot Kidder is still my Lois Lane. So sad what happened to both. The opening titles set to John Williams' main theme remains one of the greatest opening credits ever. Out of the big three superheroes, Batman has always been my #1 then Spider-Man and Superman last.

• Like 3

I've never seen Smokey And The Bandit, until tonight (to justify this month's Netflix billing). Absolute masterpiece. However, it's wild that a generation of folks raised on such anti-authority media became such hardcore bootlickers.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I've never seen Smokey And The Bandit, until tonight (to justify this month's Netflix billing). Absolute masterpiece. However, it's wild that a generation of folks raised on such anti-authority media became such hardcore bootlickers.

There’s a theory out there that they based The Bandit’s look on Ron Fuller.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The Natural said:

@S.K.o.S. bringing up Bridesmaids (2011) has me asking how many films have you given up on before the end? The aforementioned Bridesmaids is one of the few I've "fuck that shit, I'm out" to.

Years ago, I had to sit through the entire showing of "North" because I was reviewing it, or I would've walked out. I stopped watching Moulin Rouge after 20 minutes, absolute garbage. 

• Like 1

I almost always go to the movies alone, but on two times I ended up going with friends I went to 1998 Godzilla and Mission Impossible 2 and would have walked out of those had I been solo. Technically I walked out of the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie because the power went out. It hadn't really been thrilling me so I used the free pass they gave me to see Crank.

There was a period of time after I got my license in 1997 I'd go to the movies whenever I got a chance, just because I lived almost 45 minutes from a theater and didn't get the chance that often beforehand. One afternoon I went to see Speed 2 and Batman and Robin back to back, yet was somehow compelled to sit through all of them. 

8 minutes ago, Ace said:

I walked out of Dracula, Dead and Loving It & Batman and Robin.

I once rented Batman and Robin, walked a mile home, watched 20 minutes, hit eject, walked a mile back to the store and asked if I could switch it out for another movie.

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Only movie I walked out of in a theater was Magnolia.  Now movies I've turned off streaming...

I like Magnolia a lot but it is greatly improved by a 10 minute smoke break in the middle.

7 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I like Magnolia a lot but it is greatly improved by a 10 minute smoke break in the middle.

I mean, had I been by myself I might've stuck it out, but I was with someone that was totally tapped out by the middle and I didn't think enough of the flick to disagree.

Two for me. L : Change The World early because it was bad and clearly wasn't going to drift into so-bad-its-good territory and The Mosquito Coast with 20 minutes left because by that point I was so fed up with Harrison Ford's character that I couldn't sit there another minute.