DVDVR Message Board

2023 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

14 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Much like Phil brooks, glad more and more are coming to my side in not liking Bill Murray.

I mean, for the longest time, I’ve felt like Richard Dreyfus’s in What About Bob, a lone voice in a sea of people snowed by Bill. 😀

As I've said before, Murray has a long history of spousal abuse and on-set prima donnaism, but then he shows up unannounced at some random person's wedding reception and everyone forgets and says, "Gee, what a fun and quirky guy that Bill Murray is."

I think he's just permanently miserable because he wants to be seen as a serious actor, but his comedy style is so droll and dry that even when he tries to play straight, he seems like he's doing comedy (i.e. The Razor's Edge).

• Like 1

Honor Among Thieves was ridiculous fun.   If you are straddling the fence and are a D&D nerd, let me push you over by saying that:

Spoiler

It is set in the Forgotten Realms.   Chris Pine's character is an ex-Harper, Justice Smith's character is a descendant of Elminster the Sage, the villains in the movie are members of the Red Wizards of Thay and yes, they mention Mordenkainen by name at one point.

Embrace the absurdity.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Honor Among Thieves was ridiculous fun.   If you are straddling the fence and are a D&D nerd, let me push you over by saying that:

Reveal hidden contents

It is set in the Forgotten Realms.   Chris Pine's character is an ex-Harper, Justice Smith's character is a descendant of Elminster the Sage, the villains in the movie are members of the Red Wizards of Thay and yes, they mention Mordenkainen by name at one point.

Embrace the absurdity.

I enjoyed it.

If they do a Drizzt film, do they cast a Black actor … and put him in blackface? Dark elves are like ebony black, right? 

Saw D&D today with my wife and daughter. We had a great time. To me, it felt like watching one of our campaigns play out. We have an 8 person group, but we regularly fuck around, crack jokes, do ridiculous things, and our DM will insert silly encounters for us to have to deal with to balance out the more serious stuff.

If I had one complaint, it's that this isn't a TV series. I know that Joe Manganiello has his live action sword and sorcery show at Prime green lit (I don't think it's an actual D&D show, I thought it would be like Vox Machina which is just D&D enough), but man I'd love a series with these characters.

14 hours ago, Craig H said:

Saw D&D today with my wife and daughter. We had a great time. To me, it felt like watching one of our campaigns play out.

Yes, there was a bit of campaign nostalgia for me because I was always the DM that got saddled with a party of non-traditional class players like the group in the movie.  Nobody played fighters or clerics or thieves or wizards.  I always DMed for the party with the fucking Tiefling Ranger, the Dwarven Barbarian, and a Half-Elf Dragonblood Sorcerer or some shit.

14 hours ago, Craig H said:

If I had one complaint, it's that this isn't a TV series. I know that Joe Manganiello has his live action sword and sorcery show at Prime green lit (I don't think it's an actual D&D show, I thought it would be like Vox Machina which is just D&D enough), but man I'd love a series with these characters.

You'd think that greedy Hasbro would see the success of the movie and just churn out a television series from any setting they could wring money out of.  As much as I'd like to see a party driven series in any setting (especially Gamma World or Star Frontiers if Hasbro still had the rights to them), Eberron and Greyhawk and the FR are ripe multi-location GoT type stories.

Hell, I'd pay good money for a Top Secret / SI show with Orion vs. the WEB.

I kinda figured that Hasbro was hoping this movie would be the opening of the financial floodgates for them.  Explains why they got stingy with the licensing over time..

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1

My thought is that they're going to wait and see how the Magic animated series does first (I think that's still happening at Netflix) and if it's a hit, I could see Hasbro/WotC shipping off an animated D&D series in the style of Vox Machina with the actors from the movie doing the voices. WotC is basically the only thing that makes them money at this point so yeah, it is a little weird that given how greedy they are, they didn't do a TV series to milk as much money from this as they could. Probably too busy trying to get their One system off the ground.

Regarding One, I know the recent change they tried to push through and they later pulled back on is a red flag, but what they showed of it looked amazing. I'm basically dying for an online D&D experience that lets you build out settings and stories easier than you can with Tabletop Simulator. Sucks that it won't get released until 2024.

18 hours ago, Control said:

I enjoyed it.

If they do a Drizzt film, do they cast a Black actor … and put him in blackface? Dark elves are like ebony black, right? 

TBH, I think that they have avoided putting Drow on the screen for that very reason.  It would not bug me if Drizzt and Co never saw the big screen since Salvatore books have more Mary Sue characters in them than any other novel that is not a Mandalorian story written by Karen Traviss.. 

.. except for Catti-Brie who is Wufgar's Manic Pixie Dream Girl.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

On 4/4/2023 at 11:30 AM, Craig H said:

My thought is that they're going to wait and see how the Magic animated series does first (

I was going to make a comment about how a Magic animated series would work (aside from just being lore dumps), but I remembered I've watched 6 out of the 7 YuGiOh series.

• Haha 1

Watching Roger Rabbit for the podcast.  Two things stick out:

it’s slower than I remember. 
a lot of the toon gags just aren’t that funny (anymore?)

Bob Hoskins is still great, as is Christopher Lloyd. 

23 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Saw the Mario movie. I'd say okay, not great. Could have done without the 80s pop music in the soundtrack. 

Answer a question for me.   Was Chris Pratt (and Charlie Day) literally doing this in the movie:

• Haha 2

Mario movie is a perfectly acceptable kids movie. It's got a couple little easter eggs for the adults who grew up with the games, but it's a simple kids movie.

I try to remind myself that Pixar does the "deeper" themes for the adults, where Illumination is more purely kids' stuff.

Best thing about Mario is that it's a tight 90 minutes. So, while it's nothing mind-blowing, it's an inoffensive, easy watch.

On 4/9/2023 at 12:47 PM, odessasteps said:

Saw the Mario movie. I'd say okay, not great. Could have done without the 80s pop music in the soundtrack. 

The two things that got my son to really perk up during the movie were "No Sleep Til Brooklyn" and "Thunderstruck".

• Like 1

I’ve seen videos listing like 75 Easter Eggs in the movie. Some are stretches to be sure, but it’s definitely full of them.

I agree about the short run time. For a kids movie, you don’t need extraneous set pieces or padded dialogue.  It was great to be done in 2 hours, even counting all the trailers and ads. 

• Like 2

i watched most of the Mario movie (not a knock on its quality- i was ill and had to leave the theater) because i'm a huge Nintendo fanboy. and i thought it was fine.

basic straightforward plot. solid if uninspired characterization. less forced humor, one-liners, and quotables than i expected.

TONS of easter eggs and visual references. there will be a multitude of youtube videos dedicated to this.

the 80s music soundtrack was a choice. not one i disagree with, per se, but i can see the argument that it was a bit much.

3 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i watched most of the Mario movie (not a knock on its quality- i was ill and had to leave the theater) because i'm a huge Nintendo fanboy. and i thought it was fine.

basic straightforward plot. solid if uninspired characterization. less forced humor, one-liners, and quotables than i expected.

TONS of easter eggs and visual references. there will be a multitude of youtube videos dedicated to this.

the 80s music soundtrack was a choice. not one i disagree with, per se, but i can see the argument that it was a bit much.

As I said the other, I know GX had done at least 2 videos for all the Easter Eggs, around 75-80, IIRC. And apparently like 130 different Nintendo music cues or stings. 

Jamie Foxx suffered a "medical complication" last night and was rushed to the hospital last night per his family

“We wanted to share that, my father, Jamie Foxx, experienced a medical complication yesterday. Luckily, due to quick action and great care, he is already on his way to recovery,” wrote Jamie’s daughter, actress Corinne Foxx. “We know how beloved he is and appreciate your prayers. The family asks for privacy during this time.”

TMZ says that Foxx is "communicating with his family" for whatever that is worth

Watching The Pope of Greenwich Village for the first time and holy shit is Eric Roberts king size in this.

I don’t think he gets a lot of credit for his acting because he makes so much schlock. If you pay him, he’ll show up. 

The scene were he spends the whole time constructing a giant sandwich and talking about horse insemination killed me. 

• Like 2