DVDVR Message Board

2023 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I watched You People so you don't have to. It sucks and is one of the cringiest movies I've ever seen. I felt embarrassed while watching it. I'm a mark for romantic comedies, but this one was worse than most. Everyone involved in that movie should feel shame and remorse.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

I watched You People so you don't have to. It sucks and is one of the cringiest movies I've ever seen. I felt embarrassed while watching it. I'm a mark for romantic comedies, but this one was worse than most. Everyone involved in that movie should feel shame and remorse.

I've got multiple people on my Facebook feed saying they laughed throughout the entire thing. Your review lines up with my impressions from the trailer. It looks really, really bad to me. 

• Like 1

There is definitely stuff I laughed at, but not a whole lot. Most of the time, like I said, I just felt embarrassed and uncomfortable. Eddie Murphy in it is such a piece of shit. Imagine DeNiro from Meet the Parents, but not even remotely funny. Jonah Hill looks like he's basically playing his current persona of hipster dude that is all about "the culture." His character in the movie even has a podcast that talks about the culture. Everyone in the movie is just a weirdo jerk. I get the message they were trying to send, but it's all sorts of messed up.

The following films turn 15 this year, all great films IMO:

The Dark Knight (2008). I adore this film as a lifelong Batman fan. Hand on heart I was in the small minority thrilled when Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker. How far do we go to right wrongs and what cost? Lying for the greater good? The fall of Harvey Dent and what grief can do to one. TDK was robbed of Academy Award nominations for Best Picture and Best Director when it should have won both. Only film I've seen twice at the cinema. Lucky to have a true IMAX cinema where I live.

WALL-E (2008). A wonderful film, I'm getting choked up thinking about it now. The commentary on consumerism and the environment. Pixar's track record is amazing and out of their top tier films, I rate this as the best of the lot. That high. WALL-E rightly won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature but wrongly missed out on a Best Picture nomination unlike Up a year later.

Let the Right One In (2008). A brilliant film. My Sister brought it home on DVD and I watched it twice the same day which I rarely do. Not nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film when it should have won. Deserved a Best Director and Best Picture nomination as well. 

Iron Man (2008). Such an influential film as this is where it all began for what we know as Marvel Studios and the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Remember Marvel Studios didn't have the rights to the heavy hitters in Spider-Man and X-Men. Robert Downey Jr fit Tony Stark/Iron Man like a glove. 15 years and many MCU movies since, it's still in my top five MCU.

Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008). I really liked Hellboy (2004), I like the sequel even more for the story, visuals and the laughs. To this day Hellboy and Abe drunkenly singing Can't Smile Without You still makes me laugh. Guillermo del Toro at his best. Heartbreaking we never got the trilogy.

Gran Torino (2008). Clint Eastwood stars and directs this culture clash. I thought this was his last great film. I didn't see that ending going down the way it did knowing how past Clint Eastwood films go. I'd have given out Academy Award nominations for Best Actor, Best Director and Best Picture.

In Bruges (2008). Such a dark twisted funny film. Chuckling thinking of some of those lines right now.

Hoping some of these will get 15 year anniversary re-releases. Of the films I've talked about, The Dark Knight is the only one I watched at the cinema. I'd really like to see Iron Man as it's the only Iron Man film I didn't see at the cinema as I was poorly and Let the Right One In.

Some really great movies in that list. Gran Torino is the only one I've watched more than once. Love that movie. 

I need to re-watch Wall-E at some point as I didn't like it -at all - when I watched it the first time. I seem to be alone on a deserted island with that opinion so I need to revisit. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tabe said:

Some really great movies in that list. Gran Torino is the only one I've watched more than once. Love that movie. 

I need to re-watch Wall-E at some point as I didn't like it -at all - when I watched it the first time. I seem to be alone on a deserted island with that opinion so I need to revisit. 

Cheers, Tabe.

I also love Gran Torino.

Hopefully a second viewing of WALL-E does it for you. If not, there's always something popular you/me/all of us are in the minority on. The Guardians of the Galaxy movies for me off the top of my head.

• Like 2

Watched The Founder because I've never seen it before and I don't know much about the history of McDonalds. Ray Kroc is a real piece of shit, huh? I think the only positive was seeing that after his death his wife donated millions to NPR.

Good movie though, that goes from aww shucks to, "man...fuck that guy." I think the only thing that really bothered me was the entire time it felt like Michael Keaton needed to go back to the dentist to get a different set of teeth. He had that sound of someone who was trying to let their partials fall out.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Along with Knock at the Cabin, which I talked about in the horror thread, I also watched Triangle of Sadness last week.

I enjoyed it, it was very funny, but I'm not really seeing why it got nominated for Best Picture. It covers a lot of the same themes as The Menu, but does it in a much more heavy handed way (and The Menu wasn't subtle at all). There's nothing wrong with it, I laughed a lot, I'd recommend it, but I almost wish I didn't know it had gotten nominated before watching it. I spent too much of the runtime trying to figure out why.

Woody Harrelson is great and the 10 minute vomit and diarrhea fest that splits the movie into its first and second acts had me dying (it's actually split into 3 parts, but thematically there are two).

Watch it, laugh, think about how we need to have a violent redistribution of wealth, and then don't think about it at all once its done.

On 2/3/2023 at 6:17 AM, The Natural said:

The Dark Knight (2008). I adore this film as a lifelong Batman fan. Hand on heart I was in the small minority thrilled when Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker. How far do we go to right wrongs and what cost? Lying for the greater good? The fall of Harvey Dent and what grief can do to one. TDK was robbed of Academy Award nominations for Best Picture and Best Director when it should have won both. Only film I've seen twice at the cinema. Lucky to have a true IMAX cinema where I live.

Not just the movie, but I think the trailer changed the way comic book movies, and movie trailers in general were presented. 

https://youtu.be/LDG9bisJEaI

Edited by RonL21
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So in the past week I've watched The Menu, Skinamarink, Let The Wrong One In, & Megan(unrated).

The Menu--I liked it but not a movie to watch while doing something else.

Skinamarink--Sweet Baby Jesus In a Winnie The Pooh Onesie and Fluffy Bunny Slippers. WTF did I just watch? Still trying to figure it out.

Let The Wrong One In--Pretty straight forward. All sorts of vampire hijinks in Ireland. I liked it.

M3GAN--LOVED THIS TO DEATH! I smell a sequel.

• Like 1

Just got back from Cocaine Bear.  It's...not very good.  I mean, I had no expectations it would be a "good" movie, but I hoped it would be funnier and it's just middlingly funny.  Some of you might enjoy it more than me, or maybe it's the kind of movie that (fittingly) is better when you're high.  But I went in looking for something that would be stupid, ridiculous, rewatchable fun, and instead it's just sort of those things. 

I fully approve its existence, though, and we need more fucking zany movies these days.  I hope it makes a billion dollars.

Also, one of the strange and happy casting moments of the movie is that Hannah Hoekstra, better known to a lot of people as the Motion Capture model for Aloy in Horizon Zero Dawn, is in the movie.  And it's really stunning how much they changed her looks for creating Aloy - clearly went out of their way to desexualize her, which, hey, whatever, but Hoekstra is essentially the dictionary definition of girl-next-door kind of beautiful.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1

I liked the first half of Tar quite a bit, but found it very predictable after her career peaks and she gets me-two’s. We’ve seen the back half of the movie lots of times before, albeit with a white male in the role.

Saw Cocaine Bear with friends.  Didn’t do much for me, but wife and three friends liked it.  A couple of them thought it was really great.  We all agreed it benefits a lot from seeing it in a theatre with people.  Not sure it will hold up when it hits streaming and you lose the group experience.

If you were interested in it, and I certainly am, it looked like Amazon Prime said that Women Talking would be free on Prime from March 8 -12.  Something to keep in mind for the other Award Movie Hunters out there (because it's not just me...is it? ...).

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

If you were interested in it, and I certainly am, it looked like Amazon Prime said that Women Talking would be free on Prime from March 8 -12.  Something to keep in mind for the other Award Movie Hunters out there (because it's not just me...is it? ...).

I'm 9/10 for BP this year and that's ten, so this is helpful. Thanks. 

Watched THE FABLEMANS last night and thought it was great. People who are way better than me at dissecting film have talk about this, so I can't add much, but I really liked it. Paul Dano is really one of the great actors of our time and almost never gets mentioned as one.

• Like 1

I watched Tar this weekend. I did enjoy it. Thought it looked amazing, amazing acting, great story. I'm still unpacking my thoughts on it, though. I think it's one I'm going to need to see again to really have it click for me.

• Like 1

Just saw Guillermo Del Toro's Pinocchio...

Look, there's a lot to be said about how beautiful and technically masterful it is... but...

Well making Geppetto a fucking Nazi (okay, okay... a fascist) sure was a fucking choice.   Also, I never, ever need to see Pinocchio holding a gun ever again. 

6 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Just saw Guillermo Del Toro's Pinocchio...

Look, there's a lot to be said about how beautiful and technically masterful it is... but...

Well making Geppetto a fucking Nazi (okay, okay... a fascist) sure was a fucking choice.   Also, I never, ever need to see Pinocchio holding a gun ever again. 

I hope you never read Fables. 

Watched Women Talking today, which means I've now seen every Best Picture nominee save Avatar, which will have to wait. These are my official rankings. Note, this isn't how I think the voting will go, this is just purely based on my own enjoyment.

1. All Quiet on the Western Front

2. Banshees of Inisherin

3. Everything Everywhere All at Once (Even being 3rd on my personal list, this is the one I feel deserves to and should win Best Picture. The other 2 were just more my personal jam)

4. The Fabelmans

5. Women Talking

6. Elvis

7. Triangle of Sadness

8. Tár

9. Top Gun: Maverick (I'm sorry, but this was just trash. There's no way a group of 21st century young hotshot fighter pilots would not only know the lyrics to Great Balls of Fire, but cut the music and have an impromptu piano/singalong session in a bar)

NR. Avatar: Way of the Water

One to six I rate as absolutely great movies. Triangle of Sadness was good, but such a bizarre choice to be nominated. Tár had a great central performance but was overall pretty bad. Top Gun was oof, such a terrible movie. Cruise was good though.

1 hour ago, elizium said:

Watched Women Talking today, which means I've now seen every Best Picture nominee save Avatar, which will have to wait. These are my official rankings. Note, this isn't how I think the voting will go, this is just purely based on my own enjoyment.

1. All Quiet on the Western Front

2. Banshees of Inisherin

3. Everything Everywhere All at Once (Even being 3rd on my personal list, this is the one I feel deserves to and should win Best Picture. The other 2 were just more my personal jam)

4. The Fabelmans

5. Women Talking

6. Elvis

7. Triangle of Sadness

8. Tár

9. Top Gun: Maverick (I'm sorry, but this was just trash. There's no way a group of 21st century young hotshot fighter pilots would not only know the lyrics to Great Balls of Fire, but cut the music and have an impromptu piano/singalong session in a bar)

NR. Avatar: Way of the Water

One to six I rate as absolutely great movies. Triangle of Sadness was good, but such a bizarre choice to be nominated. Tár had a great central performance but was overall pretty bad. Top Gun was oof, such a terrible movie. Cruise was good though.

I love that great balls of fire is the part that you call ba on. .  

• Like 1

Weird complaint because that scene is the closest I've ever come to believing Miles Teller might be a movie star. Gonna be a big test when they finally do a shitty Cruise-free sequel starring him and Glen Powell.

9. Everything Everywhere All At One
8. Triangle of Sadness
7. All Quiet on the Western Front
6. Banshees of Inisherin 
5. Elvis
4. Avatar: The Way of Water
3. Top Gun: Maverick
2: The Fabelmans
1: Tar

I will not be taking questions at this time.