DVDVR Message Board

2023 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

2 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Ok. just a random subject change: What is the funniest/most absurd fight scene in movies.

I think They Live has to be mentioned here, just for how long the damn thing goes:

We were just talking about They Live at work yesterday, one of the girls in my office said she was shocked to learn her husband had never seen it before, (she is a horror fan who loves Vincent Price, despite being in her late 20s/early 30s). 

• Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 12:29 PM, SirFozzie said:

Ok. just a random subject change: What is the funniest/most absurd fight scene in movies.

The scene in Gymkata where Kurt Thomas (RIP) beats the shit out of the mob of angry villagers by using a donkey hitch WHICH JUST HAPPENS TO RESEMBLE A POMMEL HORSE (or is that a pommel horse disguised as a donkey hitch?) should be everyone's number one pick.

There is even a segment of the fight where Thomas executes his signature Thomas Flare that won him several world championships, but never an Olympic Gold medal since the US boycotted the 1980 Summer Games.

Silly though it may be, it is still a well choreographed movie brawl.

Gymkata as a whole is the pinnacle of movie fight absurdity.  It is totally great.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder who, in last 20 or 30 years, has been in the most good "bad movies?"

Alan Cumming seems like he's been in a bunch of them. 

Cameron Mitchell.

• Like 1

Just as I'm stsill on a bit of a fighting game to movie kick, which ones have you seen?

Me? Just about all of them.

King of Fighters: This was... not very good.

Street Fighter: Again, watch for Raul Julia and enjoy

DOA: Oh god, this is another so bad it's good movie.

Mortal Kombat (original): THe best fighting game turned into a movie.

Tekken (2010): Not bad, but certainly not good. I haven't seen the sequels or the animated version

Mortal Kombat Annihlation: Oh god, this movie didn't jump the shark, it constructed a fucking hyperloop over a shark tank and hit Warp 6.

Mortal Kombat Remake: Haven't seen the full thing, I have to at some point.

Tons of Animated Ones that I haven't seen, except for THAT Chun Li and Vega scene every boy above the age of puberty remembers in Street Fighter.

And.. as an aside, I found PROOF that I hadn't imagined the craziest/weirdest Mortal Kombat thing ever. The Mortal Kombat Tournament/Stock Market!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0288642/plotsummary/

Oh man, Time After Time was on TCM earlier. I've been meaning to watch it as it's been on the DVR for awhile now and it was fan-tas-tic. If you don't know, it's about H.G. Wells inventing an actual time machine and his friend who is incidentally Jack the Ripper (played by a chillingly awesome Jack Warner) flashes away to San Francisco in the 1970s in it, and he follows. Malcolm McDowell is Wells and seems incredibly young but Mary Steenburgen is the love interest and she looks like she just got out of high school almost. They really expertly run the tight rope of humor, suspense, irony, and even a brief moment of gore with solid logic that doesn't run into a lot of the problems of other time travel films with stellar acting the whole time. Even the side actors like the bank teller friend and the detective are played deadpan and solid, like their respective versions in the early Terminator movies. Really, really worth a watch. Plus '70s Frisco is really the third lead in the film and it's cool to see all that stuff. 

• Like 8

On 4/22/2023 at 9:40 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Oh man, Time After Time was on TCM earlier. I've been meaning to watch it as it's been on the DVR for awhile now and it was fan-tas-tic.

David Warner's monologue in Time After Time is arguably one the most chillingly delivered pieces of dialogue ever filmed.  The man and his voice are legend.  RIP.

How much range does Malcom McDowell have, man?  He can go from cherubic, altruistic protagonist to sneering, mustache-twirling evil bad guy at the drop of a fucking hat.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Couldn't sleep last night and I have the day off so I stayed up and watched Badlands on TCM again. Everything about that movie is perfect. If Apocalypse Now and Carrie are Sheen and Spacek's #1a films/performances, Badlands has to be #1b. And I can't believe I forgot that the little xylophone theme from True Romance is actually from Badlands. 

• Like 3

I finally got around to watching RRR.

It's completely ridiculous. There's not one moment that's remotely "realistic" or even plausible. The white actors in this are horrible. The CGI is laughable all the way through.

And I fucking loved it.

It's just a huge, ridiculous (mean that positively) epic. The two main actors are just incredible action stars. The fights have a sort of rhythm and movement that you don't see in most fight scenes. The songs! I love that there are multiple songs throughout the movie where the lyrics of the song match what is happening in the movie.

I was watching by myself, and literally yelled out "WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!" when...

Spoiler

The truck busts into the party and they release all of the wild animals.

It was just so much fun to watch.

• Like 3

The best punk venue in Baltimore is right next door to an insanely wonderful video rental store where they've got a giant Criterion display and a whole room where the shelves are organized by director. I was really good about renting from them, but I fell off cause I spend a ton of time with wrestling and games and music but I've been trying my best to get through three movies every two weeks. Redoubled my efforts over the last couple months. So I watched a bunch of movies from them recently and I love a lot them, like

The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant (!)
Auntie Mame
Heroes of the East
We Jam Econo
Chunking Express
Beat Street
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
Kwaidan

movies are good, watch good movies, that's all

• Like 2