DVDVR Message Board

2023 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

There is some grand irony in Quentin Tarantino bitching that the John Wick movies are "disgusting" because they are too violent

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

The search & rescue mission for the Titanic submersible got me like...

Spoiler

I'm one of 17 Americans who actually saw this at the movies during its original run. It's one of my go-to movie stories, right up there with seeing "Bloodsport" at a drive-in theater. 🙂

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

The search & rescue mission for the Titanic submersible got me like...

Reveal hidden contents

I'm one of 17 Americans who actually saw this at the movies during its original run. It's one of my go-to movie stories, right up there with seeing "Bloodsport" at a drive-in theater. 🙂

Strange Brew was HUGE with me and my friends around late-junior high/early high school.

One of my buddies named his dog Hosehead.

• Like 1

I got me first exposure to Geddy Lee through "Take Off(To The Great White North)". That was probably around Xmas '81. Saw "Strange Brew" on either HBO or Showtime a few years later. I liked it, but haven't seen it since.

Gonna give Asteroid City a big thumb's up. Really makes me want to see what a full fledged Wes Anderson sci-fi film would be like. Let's get Tilda and Schwartzman in space in some twee corduroy space suits.

Tom Hanks slid in very nicely into the Andersonverse.

Beside us were a group of teenagers that clearly had no idea what it was when they got tickets and they absolutely loved it. My date and I chatted with them a bit when it was over and they had never seen a movie like Wes Anderson's before. The kids are gonna be alright

Edited by elizium
  • Like 2

Cop Land is on right now and Jesus that is just a murderer's row of great actors. A longer cut would be even better, too. It might be Stallone's best performance, save for Rocky, and Ray Liotta just lays the hammer down. It's so good, and never gets its due. 

EDIT: Frank Vincent and John Doman are even in this in walk-on parts. It's ridiculous. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 4

I saw Renfeld over the weekend and was glad that it was mostly a vehicle for Nicholas Hoult with just the right amount of Nic Cage being Nic Cage. Nice balance of light comedy and over the top violence, with Cage you are going to get camp but it wasn't overload. 

• Like 2

I saw Indiana Jones and The Dial of Destiny last night and I generally liked it. I thought the CGI stuff wasn't too bad. Yes, the plot might have been a little goofy towards the end, but I liked it none the less.

Spoiler

Harrison Ford is 81, but the events of the film in 1969 have him at just a little over the age of 70. Knowing that now, some of the action stuff was still believable. 

My take on Indiana Jones and The Dial of Destiny, it was alright but way way better than Crystal Skull, it really misses the Spielberg touches when it comes to action scenes, they're ok but all seem to be missing something, Phoebe Waller-Bridge was good but...

Spoiler

The whole "she's Indy's goddaughter" was weird and kind of a reach, yeah they used the "surprise kid" angle with Mutt in Crystal Skull, but maybe have Indy slip one past the goalie with Willie and Helena is their daughter, use the "surprise kid" angle again or act like Indy knew and kind of had a relationship with her, make her intentions more of wanting to have adventures with her dad than trying to sell artifacts. Speaking of Mutt, wow did the Poochie him! 

The lack of a fight with either Indy or Helena with the big henchmen was a miss, the way they took him out was odd. Also, the deaths of the villain and his main henchmen was weak compared to how the villains died in the other flicks.

Force 10 from Navarone popped up on some streaming services last week, as a kid I always treated that movie as "what Indiana Jones did in WW2.

I watched Nope (2022). It's really good. 

Spoiler

Considering it's Jordan Peele, I was expecting it to be a horror movie, but it's really more of a Sci-Fi thing. But it's doing something different (as Peele will do), in that it's not "Aliens are humanoid creatures, played by people in prosthetics". Having the Flying Saucer be the Alien, rather than being the Alien's craft, that's pretty new. 

But even then, its not a sci-fi film about Aliens, featuring human people there to get eaten (well, some of them) or make astonished faces like they were 2001 Daniel Radcliffe). It's a story about people, who are forced to react to the presence of Aliens in their lives. The cast are really hitting it out of the park. Daniel Kaluuya once again proving that he's a performer who can communicate a whole lot of emotion and meaning without actually saying any lines of dialogue.

There is a lot of depth in there, Steven Yuen's character alone could be picked apart on quite a few levels.

• Like 3

On 7/7/2023 at 6:19 PM, AxB said:

I watched Nope (2022). It's really good. 

There is a lot of depth in there, Steven Yuen's character alone could be picked apart on quite a few levels.

Well.

Spoiler

Technically it might not a story about aliens either.  Jean Jacket's origins are never explained.  We the audience assume it is an extraterrestrial because of all of the alien meta associations from the movie and because Jean Jacket itself is a UFO.  Jean Jacket may be a earth native cryptid and the last of its kind.

We'll never know thanks to Jupe changing Jean Jacket's predatory nature by feeding it horses. At some point, it gained a taste for humans and it was a matter of time before it began to aggressively hunt people.  When that happened, there was no co-existing with Jean Jacket once we were on its menu.  It had to be destroyed.

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1

You never know, they might make a sequel and explore the whats and whys a bit more.

Spoiler

I  did see one suggestion that possibly the idea was that Jean Jacket had up to this point been assumed to be an angel, and that being eaten would previously have been thought to have been The Rapture.

Although probably it does stand better as a single story.

On 7/8/2023 at 7:28 PM, AxB said:
  Hide contents

I  did see one suggestion that possibly the idea was that Jean Jacket had up to this point been assumed to be an angel, and that being eaten would previously have been thought to have been The Rapture.

It is interesting that you mentioned this.

Spoiler

in an interview.  Peele said that the eerie sounds emanating from Jean Jacket's gizzard as it digested humans was made up of the actors screaming in horror dubbed over another track of the actors screaming in joy as if they were on a roller coaster. 

The noise was designed to sound joyous and terrifying at the same time, so you might have something with the Rapture analogy.

i always thought it was cool that Jean Jacket appeared to naturally create an electromagnetic field around itself similar to the way an electric "eel" generates bioelectricity. 

Whether it be the movies or real life testimonials, encounters with aliens always seem to involve electronic devices shutting down for no reason.  This is also why we the audience assume that extraterrestrials are the the cause of all of the chaos, when in reality it is proximity to Jean Jacket's EMP aura that causes electronics to go haywire.

Electromagnetism may also explain how Jean Jacket is able to "fly" with no visible means of propulsion.

As you can tell, I loved Nope.  It is a movie with amazing depth.

Edited by J.T.

I also loved Nope. Like, I was shocked at how I'd heard some praise, but it blew me away.

That said, no prequels or sequels please. I'm so over lore. I don't want any more lore in my life. I just want to have something cool that remains a mystery to me.

That said, both of your theories are really intriguing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@AxB

The science of sonic ambiguity as it pertains to Nope.

Pay close attention to the explanation of the difference between "terror" and "horror."  It is pretty fascinating and I totally agree with all points made.

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 2

Also @AxB

The video that Thomas made prior to the one about ambience is also really good.  There is quite a bit of elaboration on Stephen Yuen's character that you might find interesting.

Spoiler

When I first saw Nope, I did not notice that Jupe / Ricky never tells the account of what happened on set when Gordy went berserk from his point of view. 

Instead, he deflects by referencing the fictional SNL "Bad Gordy" sketch.  Even as an adult, Ricky is still so deeply affected by the event to the point that he can't even bear to talk about it within the framework of his own perspective, and he copes with the emotional damage by monetizing his trauma.  Jordan Peele is fucking brilliant. 

You cannot shut your brain off when you are watching this movie.

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 2