DVDVR Message Board

WWE Fast Lane

Phil Schneider

Isn't there a big difference between liking what a guy does in six mans and even a couple singles matches once in a while and thinking he is ready to be the face of the company??

Let me get this straight: You're suggesting that a guy can be both very popular AND clearly a raw talent being protected by the booking, like, simultaneously and stuff?

Nope. Unheard of in pro wrestling.

I think part of it is they spent a lot of 2014 figuring out who needed protection and who didn't. Part of why Ziggler and Ambrose get booked as they do is because it doesn't matter if they win or lose. With Reigns, however, it matters for now. Bryan it doesn't matter either, so they used him to elevate Reigns closer to where they want. None of this is brain surgery.

Loved the pre-show's Ambrose stuff. Dean made the title seem so important in the past and for the future. Shame they've done this same kind of setup for the past half-decade. Opening tag had a great finish and excellent post-match with Orton, but the wrong man lost in a match with Rowan. With all of their issues, it's so great to see Goldust go out on big stage nationally with his father by his side. Cody and Dustin tried, but this was just a bunch of moves with a fucked up finish, a crowd chanting "boring", and a good post-match brawl.

Tag title match was fun - so glad to see the Brass Ring Club with the belts! Divas title match was okay. IC Title match was good until the fuck finish. Loved everything about the Bray-Taker tease. Bray shined and man did he need to. Rusev vs. Cena was fantastic and they had the right finish with a low blow and an Accolade pass out - the angle of Cena's arms was nasty. Bryan-Roman was very good, largely due to Bryan, who risked fucking up his neck further to get Roman to the next level. I think they're dooming Roman here as that match needs glue and with Bryan out of the match and Brock possibly on the way out of the company, it won't have it unless Brock has his working boots on to up his price. Show as a whole wasn't good, but the money matches delivered.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2015/02/wwe-fast-lane-2015.html

Screens - 

d42b48392330446.jpg  

bc1d1d392330461.jpg

22f332392318767.jpg

57c81e392318755.jpg

075b79392314685.jpg

7f284c392324853.jpg

af85ae392328127.jpg

b76a18392330574.jpg

2e2332392333052.jpg

b70831392333067.jpg

Pre-Show

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/63r8uasszsw8gpiyn3bzc2n8jrd83gza

Main Show Part 1 -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/znmtliidpvl6mr2mcb5uhnt2tpnxoq0n

Main Show Part 2 -  

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/9w3fnp8l0x32bye1t6kgyj8fsg3j3x8d

So I just rewatched the Bryan/Reigns match, and it dawned on me that Bryan basically recreated the first Morishima match, but with Bryan as his heel ROH champion character. Used the surfboard, I have til five, small package near fall, back super plex, everything. Interesting to watch.

I just hope that everyone learned an important lesson. When a guy spends 90% of his matches standing on the apron and only comes in to hit his three spots, alarm bells should go off.

Except for Greggulator. He's busy finding quotes that only serve to illustrate how much worse Reigns has gotten in a single year's time.

• Like 1

Just finished watching the second half of the PPV a lil bit ago. It was alright. Cena/Rusev was pretty close to great, Rusev looked strong and I liked that Cena was never really able to keep him down, sucks that Cena will probably get the clean win at Mania, undefeated Rusev vs Lesnar would have an awesome atmosphere.  The main was pretty good but honestly I don't so how you could watch that match and think Reigns is ready to be the man. He needs another year or so to develop as a singles wrestler. Right now if got the belt where would he stand among WWE champs as a worker, he definitely is not as good as Austin, HHH, Bryan, Rock, Hogan, Flair, Taker, Big Show, Backlund, Slaughter, Hart, Michaels, Guerrero, Benoit, Savage, Orton, Cena, Sheamus, (in his prime) Kane, CM Punk, or Edge. I think the discussion would be is he better than Warrior or Sid, but I'd say he doesn't have the bizarre charisma of Warrior or the presence of Sid though I think Roman is probably better in ring than Sid but Warrior I'm not sure.

Also I found it hilarious how they are trying to push HHH as the Icon of WWE for his match with Sting. Undertaker, Michaels, Austin, Cena, Rock or even Vince those would be matches Sting could have that would feel like Icon vs Icon but HHH? Not really feeling it. And I'm worried that HHH is gonna try to channel his wannabe Ric Flair shtick and try for one of his patented "epic" matches that drags on for ever.

So I just rewatched the Bryan/Reigns match, and it dawned on me that Bryan basically recreated the first Morishima match, but with Bryan as his heel ROH champion character. Used the surfboard, I have til five, small package near fall, back super plex, everything. Interesting to watch.

I didn't watch Fastlane, but this will make me seek out that match, thanks. That first Morishima match blew my mind at the time.

• Like 1

I think part of it is they spent a lot of 2014 figuring out who needed protection and who didn't. Part of why Ziggler and Ambrose get booked as they do is because it doesn't matter if they win or lose. With Reigns, however, it matters for now. Bryan it doesn't matter either, so they used him to elevate Reigns closer to where they want. None of this is brain surgery.

You know what else isn't brain surgery?  Push the guy people like.

• Like 1

Roman was the hottest act in the world coming out of the Shield split. They should have given him the title right off that and figured out a different Brock deal much like how they subbed Batista into Orton's Wrestlemania spot when they realized Batista was the hotter act in 05.

As is they tried ti make it this huge perfect magical deal, people cooled on Reigns and now we're here. Gotta strike when the iron is hot, not 8 months later.

Also they need to stop booking ME guys to do 15+ on PPV when they can't. If Roman vs. Orton had been 10-12 minutes it would have been great but neither guy is good at long matches without some handholding. Roman would be fine if WWE would go back to letting monster dudes be monsters and wrestle tight 12 minute main events instead of big epic deals.

I forgot this wasn't the "All-Encompassing Roman Reigns Thread". I thought the show was average. I really dug Kidd-Cesaro/Usos. But the show felt really underwhelming to me, probably because there was no World Title match.

Way better than Warrior. Also better than Superst*r Graham, Stan Stasiak, Pedro Morales and Kevin Nash to name but a few. Is Reigns going to be a workhorse champion with  load of ***** matches? Probably not, though he does have what Graham had in that there's a wonderful supporting cast to work with. Unlike Sid and some of the others, Reigns is very carryable to a great match when in with the right guy. The "right guy" is not Bray Wyatt, but rather workers of the caliber of DB, Orton, Rollins, Cena, Rusev, Cesaro, Sheamus, Barrett, etc. There, you've got a couple of years of major feuds guaranteeing some super matches without even factoring in that with more experience working with guys of this level, Reigns is going to get a lot better.

Just finished watching the second half of the PPV a lil bit ago. It was alright. Cena/Rusev was pretty close to great, Rusev looked strong and I liked that Cena was never really able to keep him down, sucks that Cena will probably get the clean win at Mania, undefeated Rusev vs Lesnar would have an awesome atmosphere.  The main was pretty good but honestly I don't so how you could watch that match and think Reigns is ready to be the man. He needs another year or so to develop as a singles wrestler. Right now if got the belt where would he stand among WWE champs as a worker, he definitely is not as good as Austin, HHH, Bryan, Rock, Hogan, Flair, Taker, Big Show, Backlund, Slaughter, Hart, Michaels, Guerrero, Benoit, Savage, Orton, Cena, Sheamus, (in his prime) Kane, CM Punk, or Edge. I think the discussion would be is he better than Warrior or Sid, but I'd say he doesn't have the bizarre charisma of Warrior or the presence of Sid though I think Roman is probably better in ring than Sid but Warrior I'm not sure.

Also I found it hilarious how they are trying to push HHH as the Icon of WWE for his match with Sting. Undertaker, Michaels, Austin, Cena, Rock or even Vince those would be matches Sting could have that would feel like Icon vs Icon but HHH? Not really feeling it. And I'm worried that HHH is gonna try to channel his wannabe Ric Flair shtick and try for one of his patented "epic" matches that drags on for ever.

Reigns isnt even the first to kick out of the Knee Plus. Orton did it last year at Mania.

I thought that Batista broke up the pin?

Nope. DB hit the knee, Batista threw DB out and covered Orton.

Oh man, Cena/Rusev was incredible, they were really laying their shit in!  What a fucking match!  Man I am LOVIN Old Man Cena, as the grizzled old Wolverine gatekeeper of the main event.  I love Cena now more than ever before actually, I didn't like him for years but now he's gotta be one of the all time greats.

I gave Reigns some props in that MM thread, but noted that I wasn't sure about Reigns's ability to put on a good main-event-level 1v1 match.

Well, we have proof that he can do it against D-Bry, but so can Bray Wyatt, so that proves nothing in the end. 

I have a question because I think the similarities in their cases is somewhat alike: Is 2015-era Roman Reigns better than late-1994 Diesel right now? People will take that as spite toward Reigns, but it genuinely isn't. I just watched all of '94/'95 RAW and PPVs, and Nash was better with doing meaningful stuff in the middle of matches and with transitioning back from heel control to his finishing run. He was also a better traditional face promo at that point than Reigns is now. 

I'm probably the biggest Diesel fan on this board, and my opinion is this: I think it's less about the talent of either, and more about the supporting cast. In other words, is the argument here really Roman v Diesel, or is it Shawn/Razor/Bret/Owen/X-Pac/Bam Bam against Ambrose/Rollins/Bryan/Show/Kane/Wyatts etc? If thats a shitty way of looking at it, I accept it, but to me it's food for thought.

Oh man, Cena/Rusev was incredible, they were really laying their shit in!  What a fucking match!  Man I am LOVIN Old Man Cena, as the grizzled old Wolverine gatekeeper of the main event.  I love Cena now more than ever before actually, I didn't like him for years but now he's gotta be one of the all time greats.

Cena's been my favorite guy in the world for at least a few years now. Not necessarily the best, but my favorite.  If you strip away all the external bullshit that isn't bell to bell, the guy is just the best at the kind of wrestling I love most.

And his very best stuff is working underneath against a monster heel.  And Rusev is just enough "monster heel" for Cena to bring that out, while putting a twist on it.  That right there was the kind of pro wrestling I love.  And the best part is I honestly believe they have a better match in them.

• Like 1

Cena vs Rusev was great fun. I think I would have liked the finish better if Cena would have still been conscious for a moment followed by slowly passing out. It looked a little bit like it was the groin shot / head kick combination that finished him off instead of the Camel Clutch, I would have liked "going low" better as a difference maker than being the actual decider. It is a minor thing, though. The big thing will probably be the usual "John Cena problem" with him going over Rusev clean in a few weeks time, maybe using a Super Angle Adjustment in a good match with a deflating finish and Rusev being stuck in limbo afterwards since "undefeated streak" was the best gimmick they actually had for him.

Which is a shame, because the guy has a unique and menacing look, good agility and a well suited set of moves for what he does.

Reigns isnt even the first to kick out of the Knee Plus. Orton did it last year at Mania.

I thought that Batista broke up the pin?

Nope. DB hit the knee, Batista threw DB out and covered Orton.

Orton was on the mat for about a ten count before that kickout though.

Cena's been my favorite guy in the world for at least a few years now. Not necessarily the best, but my favorite.  If you strip away all the external bullshit that isn't bell to bell, the guy is just the best at the kind of wrestling I love most.

And his very best stuff is working underneath against a monster heel.  And Rusev is just enough "monster heel" for Cena to bring that out, while putting a twist on it.  That right there was the kind of pro wrestling I love.  And the best part is I honestly believe they have a better match in them.

Yeah It definitely reminded me of his matches with Umaga, and recently with guys like Harper & Lesnar.  That's definitely the best formula for an awesome Cena match.

I think you're right about them having an even better match in them, after seeing how hard they went in this one i'm super excited for the rematch at Mania now.  I think it could definitely be a show stealer.

Cena's gotta job at Mania though right? It works if Cena wins but if Cena loses. You almost get Rusev/Reigns. The idea of Lana in possession of the WWE WHC and the glorious promos that will follow....WWE does tour Russia correct? The idea of Rusev the Russian Hero as WWE World Heavyweight Champion defending in Moscow against the former champion Roman Reigns....I can just hear "Eye of the Tiger" in the background