DVDVR Message Board

WWE Fast Lane

Phil Schneider

Reigns isnt even the first to kick out of the Knee Plus. Orton did it last year at Mania.

I thought that Batista broke up the pin?

Either way finishers aren't guaranteed match enders anymore. I'd like to see less finisher kickouts but it is what it is. If Reigns is going to be the man they have to make him look strong (insert obligatory Punk joke). Royal Rumble sucked at that goal. Since then they've been much better about it.

I wanted Bryan/Brock as much as anyone, but I have a lot more confidence in Reigns than I did one month ago.

Bryan didn't pin him. Batista threw him out and tried to pin Randy.

So this whole Bryan/Roman story was about how bad their booking was and their choice of Rumble winner was controversial. We all know this was the real reason for any of this. 

Since that is the case why in the ever loving fuck did they do a finish where they stuck with the guy who won the Rumble in the first place? The only reason to do any of this would be because they thought that perhaps they made the wrong choice (again). 

Why couldn't Roman just be the guy who won the Rumble? I mean putting Bryan in this match and having him lose doesn't placate Bryan fans if anything it will just make them more upset.  

If they put Bryan in the main event again and he loses people will be pissed and WWE can't keep caving on Bryan because it'll never end (if you give a mouse a cookie).

I wanted to see Roman no sell the knee like Winter Soldier did in Captain America 2

• Like 2

They are trying to build up Roman. Hoping that having a good match with Bryan and getting the endorsement of AmDrag will swing some fans towards him.

It was a fun little feud too.

Yeah that was my take too, they wanted to impress the fans (aka marks) booing Reigns with a good match that shows Reigns can work the intense in-ring style that those fans want to see, and deliver in a big WWE style main event.  Bryan improves everyone he's in the ring with, so it's definitely an opportunity for Reigns to learn a few tricks from one of the best in the world before his showdown with Death.

Here's hoping Lesnar signs another contract and holds the belt for another year.

If they put Bryan in the main event again and he loses people will be pissed and WWE can't keep caving on Bryan because it'll never end (if you give a mouse a cookie).

I wanted to see Roman no sell the knee like Winter Soldier did in Captain America 2

Thats my issue. I like DB as much as anyone, but he's the poster boy for people who throw their toys out of the pram when they cant get their own way.

• Like 4

So this whole Bryan/Roman story was about how bad their booking was and their choice of Rumble winner was controversial. We all know this was the real reason for any of this. 

Since that is the case why in the ever loving fuck did they do a finish where they stuck with the guy who won the Rumble in the first place? The only reason to do any of this would be because they thought that perhaps they made the wrong choice (again). 

Why couldn't Roman just be the guy who won the Rumble? I mean putting Bryan in this match and having him lose doesn't placate Bryan fans if anything it will just make them more upset.  

I honestly think they panicked after the Rumble and booked this match as a way to insert Bryan into the main event. Then, they calmed down and decided to stick with the original plan. Reigns getting a good match with Bryan and maybe getting a bit of a rub in the fans eyes is a happy bonus.

I love Bryan as much as anyone on the current roster, but he's just such a bad gamble for the future at this point, you have to diversify your options with Reigns and build him up to the main event.  You can't put your whole company on the back of a guy who is one more neck injury away from ending his career, and is still a bit of a question mark.  I would be legit terrified a match with Lesnar for the belt could literally kill Bryan...one suplex too many and his career is over.  Bryan is teflon at this point with the crowd, he will be over no matter what, he is a super worker who will have an awesome match with anyone, and he will have a job for life as long as he wants one.  He's like a William Regal, Finlay, Malenko, Arn Anderson, Jamie Noble kinda guy, his value for the company will be around for generations and he will be teaching the next generation in the performance center as long as he doesn't have to retire from a severe neck injury.

I don't see the need to "gamble with the future" with Bryan.  Just milk him for 6-9 months and then move on.  Maybe to a much more seasoned Reigns.  By that point, too, you could have Zayn/Steen/whoever called up to satisfy much of the YES crowd, and this whole thing would just play out organically.

If Bryan is that fragile, best place for him would probably be rebuilding the tag division, best way to do that would be a Bryan/Ryback team IMO.

Bryback vs. The Masters of the WWE Universe AKA Presidents of the Brass Ring Club AKA The Uppercats With Nattie for the WWE Tag Team Titles is not the worst idea in the world

Yes, you have your giant Bryan fans. But my take is that the majority of the Rumble backlash was less about Bryan and more about people not being all that invested in Roman Reigns.

If another act was super hot, Bryan would be an afterthought. But WWE has no one sniffing the main event scene who is connecting right now. 

I have no interest in Lesnar v. Reigns. It has nothing to do with how much I like Daniel Bryan. That could certainly change by what they do the next couple of weeks. 

He is Mr. Chang from the old pulps. Unstoppable monster with a calculating brain. Deadly on all levels.

I don't know about the toothlessness. Cena's had very few pass out losses in his career, certainly not recently. Rusev's sort of a different beast. He's not just a monster. He sells way too much for that and has this savvy to him. He's not Yokozuna or Kamala or Umaga. He's more like Borga or Koslov but even that's not accurate. They were soldiers, warriors. There's something beady-eyed about him. He's not Oddjob or Jaws. He's one of those post-soviet assassins that they send after Jason Bourne mixed with sort of a character out of an old pulp from the 30s, that sort of clever savage lurking in the shadows. He's unknowable but aware. Monstrous but more human than we'd like to admit. 

• Like 1

Wait, has everyone come around to Reigns this quickly? And thinking the Rumble backlash was ridiculous? This is bizzaro world.

I wouldn't say that. There are plenty who still hate Reigns or would rather see Bryan wrestling Brock. Fuck I still want to see Bryan vs. Brock, I just happened to be almost as interested in Brock vs. Reigns. Weirdly enough the Rumble backlash might be the best thing that has happened to Reigns. It made them do a clear course correction with his character, give him his first good feud since the Shield breakup, and forced him to step up his game all around.

Yes, you have your giant Bryan fans. But my take is that the majority of the Rumble backlash was less about Bryan and more about people not being all that invested in Roman Reigns.

If another act was super hot, Bryan would be an afterthought. But WWE has no one sniffing the main event scene who is connecting right now. 

I have no interest in Lesnar v. Reigns. It has nothing to do with how much I like Daniel Bryan. That could certainly change by what they do the next couple of weeks. 

Reigns was pretty over until they screwed up with shitty promos that didn't fit him and Bryan's return for the Rumble.

I am in complete agreement with ebbie? WTF is happening?

There is alot of criticism (most of it being 'he's not Bryan Danielson') but his Superman punch cannot possibly be one of them.

They've found their next Cena in Reigns alright. Any good he does gets drowned by hatred because he's not so and so.

I am in complete agreement with ebbie? WTF is happening?

There is alot of criticism (most of it being 'he's not Bryan Danielson') but his Superman punch cannot possibly be one of them.

They've found their next Cena in Reigns alright. Any good he does gets drowned by hatred because he's not so and so.

The thing about Reigns that makes this problematic is that I have no real sense that he's a creative guy.  Every super top "carry the company" guy I can think of played a big part in creating their persona.  As stale as it is today, Cena is a creative dude who crafted a look and message that was calculated to appeal to kids and he was brilliant at it, not just at performing it, but at designing it.  Hogan played as much a part as anyone else in creating his character.  Same with Austin and Rock.  With Rock you could see it even before he was allowed to cut loose.

With Reigns I don't see that creativity.  Yes, it's a more stifling environment now and you are told to read the script.  But if he or anyone else is going to be the new Cena, at some point he has to show himself to have a good mind for developing his own character.  So far he seems like just another earnest, hard working guy who does whatever Vince says the way Vince says to do it.

And if that's all he can do, then there's no way he builds a brand around himself.

• Like 6

It's fine to have a 85% Lesnar crowd. The dude's been booked stronger than anyone, ever. And he was tossing around heel Authority figures not so long ago. So he's not so much a heel anymore, since he went after Seth Rollins' flunkies.

I think everyone collectively forgot Reigns has been in a ridiculous amount of the high-end matches. They were all either six-man or tag matches. But he barely was "carried" by Dean or Seth, as has been recently revised in history. He had so much great stuff -- that Survivor Series where he took out 500 people, the Rumble, the final part against the Wyatts, random trash talk moments, him chasing down Del Rio and taking him out in the awesome Shield Destroys Everyone On Smackdown match..

When it clicks, he's going to be huge. And guess what? He's now one more high-end solo match from clicking now.

I'm glad they stuck with what they wanted to go with from the start.

• Like 2

Piranesi:

Excellent points. However, reading and listening to a bunch of interviews with Reigns he comes across as a very bright guy. Is he creative? I don't know, a big part of "creative" as we're discussing it has to do more with what ideas you embrace and run with and what ideas you shoot down. Those horrible promos should have been shot down as not being consistent with the character. Did he learn from that? I'm guessing "yes". The RR character we've been shown is a lot more simplistic than Cena or the Rock and consequently should be pretty easy to build on. The cool ass-kicker that occasionally gets off a good one-liner is right in his wheelhouse and he should be able to run with it as far as he wants to go. Will he? I dunno, but I'm interested enough to keep watching, he worked a hell of a singles match last night and only part of that was due to being in with the guy who is arguably the best in the world, Reigns held his end up in fine form.

• Like 1