DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I just admit to being a wrestling fan right off the bat. If things work out, it's going to come out anyway. It can also work out well for you. I was hitting on a girl at a bar once, somehow it came up, she mentioned that she was a CM Punk fan so we went back to my place, watched Punk/Cena from MITB 2011 and then had sex.

And then you did your "five moves of doom" and she complained about the predictable finish.

We tried going on an actual date and realized we had little else in common. 

I don't bring up pro wrestling unless it naturally comes up in conversation. I just managed to use it to score one time, it'll probably never happen again.

Holy Christ how great was it during Brock's interview with Cole on Raw that he was snoring while Cole was talking.  He is literally asleep with his eyes open 24 hours a day until something raises his adrenalin level to attack and then when that thing is dead he goes back into resting state.

• Like 1

I think Brock may be the best actor in the company. At least I hope to dear God he's acting.

I'm not even convinced he knows it's a work. I mean, who has the balls to tell him?

That little silent laugh he did after Rollins threw the chair was awesome.  I can't be sure if he was in character or just laughing at the ridiculousness of a guy playacting being mad and throwing a chair.

Off subject and may have been asked before a subject I was pondering at work today: When they split Haku and Andre The Giant, did they ever have a follow up match? I know from watching at the time that there was not a televised one ( at least, that I can recall) and Andre was pretty much out of in ring action not too long after but I was just curious if there was something out there. I really want to see those two for some reason.  

Just got a text from WWE: "WWE Network hits 1 Million subscribers. Thank you WWE Universe!"

People are into Roman Reigns, WWE Champ, obviously.

I feel like this is just a big "fuck off" to the #CancelWWENetwork movement.

Piggybacking on #CancelWWENetwork and the conversation earlier about talking to "the normals" about wrestling, earlier today I was using the Twitter reaction to the Rumble as an example for a certain media theory in my research methods class.  It went something like this:

Me: "So, for instance, does anyone in here watch pro wrestling?  The 'rasslin'?  WWE?"

A couple of laughs, no hands up or nods of the head or anyone speaking up at all. 

Me: "Well okay then, maybe this isn't the best example.  But the WWE had this event this past Sunday - "

Student: "The Royal Rumble!"

Me: "Yeah, and the fans were very upset about who won the match - "

Another student: "Roman Reigns!"

Me: "Yes!  Because of this, many fans threatened on Twitter to cancel the WWE Network, which is a subscription service that runs something like ten bucks a month - "

Yet Another Student: "9.99!"

Me: "Exactly.  So they started this hashtag - "

A Different Fucking Student Entirely: "#CancelWWENetwork!"

Me: "Y'all were all so full of it!", before contextualizing the example.

I then went through the lesson and a woman came up to me at the end of class.  "Who won the Rumble,anyway?  The Network was really acting up for me and I couldn't watch it."  I responded, "Roman Reigns," to which she replied, "People were upset about that!?  That's my hubbie right there." 

She then told me that she'd DVR'd Raw and was going to watch it tonight, and I had to break the news to her that it was just a replay of the Rumble and I'd spoiled the whole thing for her.  Also, we talked about deductive research methods.

• Like 8

Off subject and may have been asked before a subject I was pondering at work today: When they split Haku and Andre The Giant, did they ever have a follow up match? I know from watching at the time that there was not a televised one ( at least, that I can recall) and Andre was pretty much out of in ring action not too long after but I was just curious if there was something out there. I really want to see those two for some reason.  

I always assumed Andre was completely shot by then (he never tagged into the match) and it was just a way to turn him face on his way out.  Checking Wikipedia, though (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9_the_Giant#Sporadic_appearances_.281990.E2.80.931992.29), it's really weird.  Andre had some house show matches and was featured in a few angles after that, including one I don't remember at all (various managers trying to sign him).  But there's no mention of how much he wrestled on those shows and he was never featured in the ring after that.  It was this aimless "let's keep Andre around" thing but that was about it.  Probably just wanted to keep giving the guy a paycheck.  But no, to answer your question, there was no followup to the post-match angle.