DVDVR Message Board

6/1/2022- AEW DYNAMITE!

DEAN

Great show last night. I was too tired to comment when it was over. I have no idea where the MJF thing is going but I can't wait to see what happens next.

Tony better get a jump on those 6 Man/Trio's belts. So many good six man teams.

Blood & Guts II should be great (provided there are no swan dives into cardboard).

Daniel Garcia had a star making match with Moxley last night.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, chriskbrown50 said:

Ironically this truly old school approach (Bill Watts may not approve of the language but suspect Watts loves the commitment) feels so fresh.  The Miz is a great heel until he shows up on his reality show as this goofy Dad figure. 

Counter-point: Miz was able to cut a "defend my style" promo without exposing the business by focusing on the fact that his style is safe for him (ie. I've never been injured, I'm here day-in and day-out) rather than it being safe for others (ie. I'm not dumping people on their heads)...

• Like 1

Hey, look, it's the quarter hour breakdowns we deserve:

So, did everyone leave in Q3 AFTER the promo? Or did the promo make them leave midway? Or was it the ad break?

Maybe we should all just talk more about how good Garcia vs Moxley was instead?

• Like 2

Just goes to show, if you must do worked shooty promos...don't cut them on your own company unless you've got a pretty solid invasion angle in place. Like for instance Scott Steiner shitting on WCW was entertaining, but he also made it clear that you could change the channel once he was done...

• Like 2

Well that was a helluva episode of Dnyamite, didn't get to catch it live but I did manage to avoid spoilers! 

Really love the addition of Gunn Club to The Acclaimed with the Gunns botching the fan call with Bowens getting it right at the end, it's a small touch but it's good.

Tanahashi/Punk? Sure, rock and roll.

Miro was desperately needed back so thank god he wrecked Johnny Lotsofnames.

MJF's promo worked itself into a shoot brother

I wasn't big on the Ten Man but it wasn't anything that made me want to change the channel, I'm just not into Luchasaurus or Bobby Fish.

Only two powerbombs for JD Drake? Well he's huge and Wardlow did get him up no problem so that's still a feat in itself.

Baker/Hayter vs Soho/Storm was a Hayter/Storm showcase, best thing Baker can do is not lose Hayter (though I do like the good doctor, don't need Soho).

Got no words for the main event, that was everything a main event should be, I however don't like the use of flipping the ringside stairs to the side and tossing onto them, those edges are going to really hurt someone if they botch something.

I'm mostly hyped that Detroit's going to be the Blood and Guts show because I've got tickets for it!

(Also when they roll through Grand Rapids in August, I'll buy tickets because the arena is literally up the street from me)

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Just goes to show, if you must do worked shooty promos...don't cut them on your own company unless you've got a pretty solid invasion angle in place.

This inspired a thought: maybe MJF is fired and then shows up at Forbidden Door signed with NJPW and costs an AEW wrestler a match.

6 minutes ago, (BP) said:

This inspired a thought: maybe MJF is fired and then shows up at Forbidden Door signed with NJPW and costs an AEW wrestler a match.

I mean, he is apparently making ROH money….

2 hours ago, Phil Schneider said:

Lee Moriarity ain't happening, nor should he

Why not? 

When Danielson first proposed the stable to Mox, he said Yuta, Garcia and Moriarty. What has changed?

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to catch this one in person, and I gotta say, I have no idea where this MJF thing is going and I don’t particularly care, because that promo was ELECTRIC live. I have never, ever experienced someone coming out to just thunderous boos, chants of “Shut the fuck up” and real, seething heat, only to completely turn the crowd with only a promo. I say this as someone who HATES worked shoot stuff, but he had the whole audience eating out of his hands. They were literally chanting his name by the end. It was a complete marvel, no matter if he’s face or heel or wherever this whole thing is going (and maybe part of what’s fun is nobody knows!) or whether it was “too shooty.” It worked and it drove the crowd mental, and that’s the whole fuckin point of wrestling. People didn’t pop for Russo’s WCW shit. Like maybe not even once. This is an audience (at least in SoCal) that can appreciate this kind of promo work, regardless of how I feel about it.

Maybe I really am a mark, because I loved the whole card and I think the main event of Dark really helped get the crowd hot for the rest of the show. There was a fun women’s tag match hidden away there too. I was worried they would cool off by the time Moxley-Garcia went on, but the quality of the match seemed to give people a second wind. I can attest that even in the cheap seats, Jaime Hayter’s various talents were very apparent, and everyone there was just so hype on the wrestling itself, it’s a wonder that anyone can managed to get booed at all. Sad for no Thunder Rosa because her theme song rips and I think she would be mega-over in LA.

No complaints, no notes, just please bring AEW back to the west coast, TK!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Between Wardlow and Miro they have at least two viable paths to immediately hitting the hard reset button on the TNT title situation. I’ll be disappointed if they don’t. 

Put the belt on either one (preferably Wardlow), spend the summer building up to a match between them at All Out.

But Scorp just got his custom Lakers belt, so...

1 hour ago, The Idiot King said:

Maybe I really am a mark, because I loved the whole card and I think the main event of Dark really helped get the crowd hot for the rest of the show. 

I am definitely a mark, and proud of it.

I believe that originally the term applied to carnival workers surreptitiously "marking" the clothing of carnival-goers who could easily be fleeced. Targets for the con.

Then, it meant the locals who would be fleeced out of their money by gambling on "fixed" wrestling matches.

Then for a long time it meant a person who attended pro wrestling matches but was not aware of the worked nature of pro wrestling. Someone who believed that the matches and outcomes were genuine and not predetermined.

What does the term mean now? There are likely still a few people for whom the prior definition holds true. The very young, some of the very elderly, certain people who are cognitively impaired, perhaps...

I think maybe these days marks are fans who (choose to) buy into the characters and emotional beats? Someone who chooses to use their disposable income on tickets, streaming memberships, and merch?

These days, a pro wrestler trying to insult a fan by calling them a "mark" is kind of embarrassing. You have devoted your whole life to "the business" pally. Who is the real "mark" now?

Wrestling fans trying to insult other pro wrestling fans by calling them "marks" is the saddest of the sad.

Frankie Kazarian angrily yelling "Mark!" at people, however, is hilarious .

While we are it it: I am not generally a fan of "worked shoots" but I do not understand using "business exposing" as a criticism thereof. "Exposing" to whom? The marks? 

We're all "smart" now.

And we, here, are all marks.

Edited by Gordlow
I put "all" in italics, for emphasis,then later I added a video
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, porksweats said:

Got no words for the main event, that was everything a main event should be, I however don't like the use of flipping the ringside stairs to the side and tossing onto them, those edges are going to really hurt someone if they botch something.

I'm mostly hyped that Detroit's going to be the Blood and Guts show because I've got tickets for it!

(Also when they roll through Grand Rapids in August, I'll buy tickets because the arena is literally up the street from me)

That really bothered me. Everyone says you don’t toss people because they aren’t in control of their bump. And that was an example of it being pretty bad. 

Have fun at the shows!

• Like 2

So Walt's still the only one who gives a shit about the rules. 

Just watched the main event. Yeah. We're watching that again. And again. 

Also. 

ALSO. 

I just found out about Blood and Guts in Detroit. 

I have tickets and I can't wait to tell my friends that we get to see it live. 

Wrestling is so goddamn awesome. 

• Like 7