DVDVR Message Board

6/1/2022- AEW DYNAMITE!

DEAN

4 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Didn't Cody explicitly state in a promo one time that he wouldn't turn face? AEW has always been the inside baseball promotion, so something of this ilk - if anything - is right in line with AEW in my opinion.

Edit - I meant to say Cody wouldn't turn heel, but let's be honest. It's funnier if I keep the mistake in.

Sure but I'd say that's an exception to the rule, and he's gone.  Who else is cutting shooty promos like this?

4 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I guess I'm wondering where they are going with this MJF/Tony Khan thing. It's not like MJF and Khan are going to wrestle. Even the idea of him being the babyface here is kind of absurd because he's basically coming off like a spoiled, greedy brat on TV.

I initially thought MJF would be beating ex-WWE wrestlers to prove that he's better than them. When I think about it some more, though, I'm not exactly sure who that would be. Ex-WWE guys, who are faces in this company (because I agree MJF is still a heel), who can have matches (so probably not Wight or Henry), and who aren't currently tied up in their own angles (so probably not Christian).

Punk apparently came out to chase off MJF, and he fits all of the above, but putting MJF in a world title program right after he lost his last ppv match and pretty much just got through a feud with Punk doesn't seem like the move.

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

My dude came out and criticized other workers' style of work and put over his ability to get the fans to buy what he was doing with a simpler style.  That's the most work-shooty business exposing shit that's ever been said on TV.

I think you should watch more 1999/2000 WCW ?  Now I feel old. I think as usual wrestling fans are going too far to one extreme or the other. The business is fine. AEW is fine. Nothing has changed. You can hate the promo or love the promo, its just one storyline in the world of wrestling. But the fact people are so passionate about it is exactly what TK wants so either way I think it went well for what they were going for.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I think you should watch more 1999/2000 WCW ?  Now I feel old. I think as usual wrestling fans are going too far to one extreme or the other. The business is fine. AEW is fine. Nothing has changed. You can hate the promo or love the promo, its just one storyline in the world of wrestling. But the fact people are so passionate about it is exactly what TK wants so either way I think it went well for what they were going for.

That's a good point -- I tuned out on WCW shortly after Starrcade 97!

• Like 2

Fuck MJF, fuck his shooty bullshit, fuck his no selling the stretcher job. Let his ass go. His strength is being willing to be a true heel instead of a cool one, and now he's fucked that up too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

That's a good point -- I tuned out on WCW shortly after Starrcade 97!

I hate even using "they didn't go full-Russo" as a counter argument as no one should ever, ever go full Russo. So that's not a huge compliment. I'd have hated it too if MJF had said "Tony booked me to lose to Wardlow in a squash match on PPV even though I carried this company!" or something like that.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

My dude came out and criticized other workers' style of work and put over his ability to get the fans to buy what he was doing with a simpler style.  That's the most work-shooty business exposing shit that's ever been said on TV.

Criticism of obvious wrestling style 'high flying' compared to his less flashy 'slow methodical' style doesn't seem so business exposing to me. The only portion of that interview that is 'cause for concern' was the head drops, but again feels easily read as I don't lack sportsmanship like some of my peers who think it's cool to injure their opponents. There was clearly detailed care and an intention for this to not read as written by (knee jerk) Vince Russo. I'd be with the shooty-haters if this hadn't been so beautifully crafted and delivered. 

• Like 2

Mostly loved the opening match. Did you hear the pop for the Acclaimed? That said, Caster might have a couple weeks off again to think about ridiculing abuse victims. Dax Harwood was a fantastic FIP tonight.

I spoke my piece on MJF. I think there is a point to the AEW originals-NXT imports feud, hell Adam Page was working the same angle literally last week. That said, MJF is one of their most protected guys, someone who rarely even wrestles outside of a PPV. 

MIRO!!! I've been meaning to make the joke that all those "Miro" commercials that don't make any sense as a product were secretly meant as a reminder about Miro being on the roster. His promo was great, match had moments but honestly should have been a total squash IMO.

2.0 all scarred up. Kingston taking a beating so Ortiz could jump Jericho and cut the hair. Amazing that after Anarchy in the Arena they can keep this going into an even more violent match and yet here we are and I am ready.

10-man was fine, add me to the list of those not excited about what now seems inevitably the Bucks being the ones to finally beat JE for the titles.

I'm not a fan of the "Swerve in the Glory" name, and wondering what's next for them.

Was disappointed that Wardlow didn't have his new theme music, but that was a fine squash and the post-match angle with Smart Mark and the class action lawsuit on behalf of security is fucking brilliant. Still, feels like all the BS this past weekend took a lot of shine off Wardlow's big moment.

Womens's tag match was fantastic, great back and forth action, very hard-hitting. Glad that Ruby got her win back, but OF COURSE DMD immediately got her heat back. Ready for more Storm-Hayter.

Main event is a strong contender for best of 2022 list. I can't recall who compared Garcia to The Terminator but spot on, dude just kept coming after Mox and laying it in. Busting open Mox's stitches with headbutts is old school (but also, less headbutts please). Forcing the ref to untangle the Figure 4 on a rope break is old school. This is clearly part of a long-term story where Garcia realizes that his natural place is in BCC, and it's going to be a brutal, bloody trip getting there.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I spoke my piece on MJF. I think there is a point to the AEW originals-NXT imports feud, hell Adam Page was working the same angle literally last week. That said, MJF is one of their most protected guys, someone who rarely even wrestles outside of a PPV. 

Yes - this is where it is going. It is also why they have Punk faking botches all over the shop.

RE: Acclaimed - the pop they get is unreal. The demographics of the crowd out there seemed v different in camera pans .. both Coast audiences are going to absolutely adore Acclaimed. Get the belts on them as soon as Bowen is fit.

• Like 2

The class action thing with Wardlow is a good bit (and Sterling claiming to be representing the American Association of Arena Security Professionals or whatever is a great piece of wrestling bullshit) but it also feels like kind of a waste of all the momentum he has coming out of the MJF thing.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

"Punk is faking botches" is worthy of a tinfoil hat. 

? I see you're not tired of being worked over yet by professional performance artists? Let's see where this one goes.

Edited by A_K

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Even if he is he should just stop. Why would you intentionally hobble a match? What wrestler wants to be known for shitty execution?

Ask yourself how many times you've known Punk to botch routine manoeuvres in his career. Then look at how many overt botches he has done over the last 2 shows alone - while also looking blown up at times, while also having his old-man appearance commented upon by other talent (e.g. Acclaimed promo), while also coming down the ramp during the MJF promo on "ex-WWE guys" taking AEW spots therefore explicitly inserting himself into that angle too, and ask yourself if all this is just coincidental. Good or bad, this is the big story angle they are going to run.

Edited by A_K

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Fuck MJF, fuck his shooty bullshit, fuck his no selling the stretcher job. Let his ass go. His strength is being willing to be a true heel instead of a cool one, and now he's fucked that up too.

Honestly, I think if he stayed home and sold the stretcher job still on Dynamite I would have a bit more respect for him. He's the most protected guy (he has the Lesnar schedule and he still complains?) in AEW and yeah it sucks he's not getting paid what he's worth, but he's acting like he won't be back after 2024. At that point, fuck him. AEW will succeed in whatever form they'll succeed in despite MJF, not because of MJF.

• Like 2

I think the reason I'm not into Punk as champ is because he's so haggard looking (not to get all Vince, but can we send him a Just for Men gift basket) and still wrestles the same way he used to, but not as well somehow. He could probably stand to switch it up. Prime example is Jericho since he doesn't break out the his springboard stuff too often lately. Punk/Tana is either going to be great or a miscommunicated mess, no middle ground. Also, can get Mox/Tana at some point?

If anyone thinks they weren't aware that MJF would go out there and do what he did with network folks in the house, you need to take a step back. Promo was fire, but I'm not sure what the next steps are.

Anyone thinking that Wardlow was going to jump right into being mega over after the MJF stuff needs to take a step back too. Everything was based around MJF for better or worse so he's got some to do. Also, I know Jack Banning (taller than I thought!) took the powerbomb in the ring, was Jordan Cruz one of the security guys out there?

We got 3 weeks to get the PPV card figured out, I need some stakes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

FUPpougaAAAKNv3?format=jpg&name=small

This.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

He even brought it up himself in his promo ("I'm still learning" etc.). So it's probably half and half, because he's always been shitty at execution. I just don't like it.

It's all part of the game. Hence Khan "no comment" on MJF at press conference. Every part of the presentation is being brought into a 360-angle of the work. It's pretty clever and innovative, really.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ramo2653 said:

I think the reason I'm not into Punk as champ is because he's so haggard looking (not to get all Vince, but can we send him a Just for Men gift basket) and still wrestles the same way he used to, but not as well somehow. He could probably stand to switch it up. Prime example is Jericho since he doesn't break out the his springboard stuff too often lately. Punk/Tana is either going to be great or a miscommunicated mess, no middle ground. Also, can get Mox/Tana at some point?

If anyone thinks they weren't aware that MJF would go out there and do what he did with network folks in the house, you need to take a step back. Promo was fire, but I'm not sure what the next steps are.

Anyone thinking that Wardlow was going to jump right into being mega over after the MJF stuff needs to take a step back too. Everything was based around MJF for better or worse so he's got some to do. Also, I know Jack Banning (taller than I thought!) took the powerbomb in the ring, was Jordan Cruz one of the security guys out there?

We got 3 weeks to get the PPV card figured out, I need some stakes. 

As it's Tana, great. Amazing how he's still delivering. The saviour of NJPW.