DVDVR Message Board

6/1/2022- AEW DYNAMITE!

DEAN

6 minutes ago, EVA said:

Ah, I see what our new most tedious board gimmick is.

"It’s not a work, people. Would be an incredibly idiotic work. Even if they can get him to the arena to do the j-o-b tonight, I think MJF is done in this company."

Seriously? Given how you were one of those played like an absolute fiddle by the PPV work and completely did not understand where they were going with this, I'd probably steer clear of insults or calling anyone "tedious" at this point in time, but that's just me. My final piece on this one for now, as I said on the previous page, let's see how this now plays out ?

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

THURSDAY MORNING REFLECTIONS:  I'm watching the International Feed so will not be GIFTED the picture in picture.  Man, Inglewood was an awesome wrestling crowd.  Coulton is great making the WHAT THE FUCK?! face when Caster calls them the Ass Boys.  SACRAMENTO!  SAN DIEGO!  Ricky Morton and Jim Cornette HAD to love the old school lock up between Dax and Austin Gunn.  Austin Gunn is soo fucking old school good.  The Gunn Club are so fucking good.  Caster is getting better as a chickenshit heel but doesn't have the athleticism to bump big like the Ass Boys.  IMAGINE how good the Gunn boys are going to be when they get to THREE years of experience- they will be dueling Barry Windhams.  I didn't realize Anthony Bowen hit Dax with his crutch- WAIT, he's in a wheelchair.  Why does he have a crutch?  Oh, to hit Dax.  Stupid question. INTERNATIONAL FEED!  Dax hits a SWEET GERMAN that looks great in Picture Only Picture!   The thing you get from not having picture in picture is that AssClaimed used every trick in the book on Dax while Dax was our Face In Peril- cheating by Billy, Cheating by Bowens, cheapshot by not legal man Coulton.  That was great old school tag team wrestling.  Kind of fell to pieces when Punk made the hot tag but, MAN, AssClaimed are awesome bumping old school heels.  Tanahashi is over in Southern California.  Johnny Elite has been beaten to death by Samoa Joe and motherfucking MIRO now.  Who's next?  I guess Wardlow, Hobbs, Keith Lee, Lance Archer.  Meltzer was talking about bringing in Goldberg.  Brock Lesner?  Somebody with a ballpeen hammer?  Miro's vignette was fucking great.  He didn't mention his Flexible Wife which was disappointing.    Man, Johnny Elite is really being beaten into his new role of Matt Sydel of the Monster Division.  He should talk his way out of this role and try to get into the position of subbing for Jeff Hardy for a while.  Chris Jericho is so awesome ALLOWING the audience to appreciate the Jericho Appreciation Society instead of SINGING!  Jake is great making the bonehead gloating faces when Jericho talks about choking out Danielson.  BLOOD AND GUTS!  Regal is so fucking awesome.  Ortiz should have cut more hair so Jericho would have to wear a hat or headgear or something.   Well, the great thing would be him wearing a hat or headgear anyway.  Hikuleo is the Jake Hagar of the Undisputed Elite- the guy who quietly does cool things in a match AND GETS NO RESPECT!   I guess they are working towards a Matt Hardy vs Christian PROGRAM~!  That'll eat up some minutes.  I never watched much PWG so I didn't really get what this match is alluding to, but this was a lot of stuff jammed into a few minutes.  Adam Cole is great on commentary when Nick spits in Luchasaurus' face, telling Tony that his opinion doesn't matter.  MAN, Hikuleo is so fucking tough.  A normal non-Haku related wrestler would stay down and call it a career,  Instead, he stood right up and catches Allin on a Coffin Drop.  And then sets up Christian and Hardy double teaming.  He was definitely your secret all star of that match.   If Athena can be as intense as she was in the indies against Thunder Rosa and recently against Taya Valkyrie, she should be bringing the good matches.  I love Jade Cargill sending Baddies to go through to get a shot at her.  She needs a couple more baddies- bigger gals like Trish Adora and Willow Nightengale would be good folks to send out to buffer against Jade.  Britt Baker is such a dick SHOWBOATING the OWen Hart Tournament tile in front of the two gals she went through to get it.  Man, Jamie Hayter looks fucking phenomenal in Picture Big Picture.  Great fucking snap suplex.  JR makes an idiotic point about the new concept of bad guys being cheered.  Uh JR.  Well, you got the Four Horsemen which was 38 years ago,.  Fuck, I remember Black Jack Mulligan being cheered as a heel in Mid-Atlantic in 1975.  Hayter and Baker are a good heel tagteam- like the best possible Leilani Kai (Hayter) and a lesser version of Judy Martin (Baker).   Hayter is like the Gorilla Glue of this match.  If they ever do a card with Stardom, Toni Storm and Jamie Hayter should tag together.  Syuri and Utami Hayashishita vs Jamie Hayter and Toni Storm  would get me to shell out money for a Pay Per View.  The finishing sequence between Soho and Baker was so less hellish than it would have been if it was Hayter and Storm at the end, but it was good.  I think it was Matt who noted that Moxley is like Stan Hansen- you react to his match and level of violence.  Garcia could definitely MORPH into a Moxley.  Oh man,  Regal talks about Garcia in the Blackpool Combat Club during what you LITTLE PEOPLE didn;t hear in Picture In Picture.  Man, Moxley has  a Cactus Jack ability to total blood coverage in a short amount of time.  Regal and Jericho are a good team on commentary.  I love that they both put over both guys in the match.  Garcia is soooo turning on Jericho and joining the BCC at some point.  Moxley is so great.  He is the man who makes stars.  I assume he will make Lee Moriarty into a star at some point.  What a great episode.    

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

I assumed Punk being unable to land the Buckshot correctly was just him selling the beating he was taking + telling the story of trying to use his opponent's finisher against him but not being able to hit it as it's not "his" move that he's used to doing.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

"Punk is faking botches" is worthy of a tinfoil hat. 

Need @NoFistsJustFlips to weigh in and smarten us all up on this.  What day of wrestling school is "how to fake a botch to work the smart marks?"  Is this what the Hulkster meant when he was talking about working a work and thus working yourself into a shoot?

26 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

I think the reason I'm not into Punk as champ is because he's so haggard looking (not to get all Vince, but can we send him a Just for Men gift basket) and still wrestles the same way he used to, but not as well somehow.

Well Punk was never athletic, and now he's older.   He also attempted a stage dive and smacked the everloving fuck out of his shin on the guard rail.  But maybe that was a work.  There are layers to this.  I think when he jumped into the crowd, he went back and to the left.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, A_K said:

Ask yourself how many times you've known Punk to botch routine manoeuvres in his career. Then look at how many overt botches he has done over the last 2 shows alone - while also looking blown up at times, while also having his old-man appearance commented upon by other talent (e.g. Acclaimed promo), while also coming down the ramp during the MJF promo on "ex-WWE guys" taking AEW spots therefore explicitly inserting himself into that angle too, and ask yourself if all this is just coincidental. Good or bad, this is the big story angle they are going to run.

Are you kidding me? He's been a botch machine since day one. In fact, this run probably has his BEST match:botch ratio ever.

You just confirmed your gimmick poster status.

Also, Punk admitted in the scrum he fucked the Buckshot up.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Need @NoFistsJustFlips to weigh in and smarten us all up on this.  What day of wrestling school is "how to fake a botch to work the smart marks?"  Is this what the Hulkster meant when he was talking about working a work and thus working yourself into a shoot?

Well Punk was never athletic, and now he's older.   He also attempted a stage dive and smacked the everloving fuck out of his shin on the guard rail.  But maybe that was a work.  There are layers to this.  I think when he jumped into the crowd, he went back and to the left.

Why did you edit this post? Did you fake a typo?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, A_K said:

P.s. — Punk is botching deliberately. Just so you guys know, you know?

No, he's not.

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Well Punk was never athletic, and now he's older. 

Yeah the slipping on springboards is not on purpose here. He did it a couple times in WWE too. It's never led to anything and is never factored into a spot. And after the match ended you could see him messing with his foot and rolled his kickpad up. In the beer / soda picture with FTR his shoe is off on the foot. He jacked his foot up on the slip.

Punk is an amazing worker, but he's never been an amazing athlete. He doesn't need to springboard. And I'd expect him to drop that now since he was the only one in that match that didn't come off like a million bucks and he tweaked his foot. Just climb to the top quick and hit the diving line. It adds 1.5 seconds to the setup time, negligible. Unnecessary. He doesn't need to springboard anymore.

Planning botches is not on a lesson plan in training school lol. Most shindy ass schools out there today you're lucky if they teach you how to do things right. Expecting them to also teach you how to do it wrong on purpose is asking wayyyy too much lol.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, A_K said:

The contract stuff. The WWE flirtation. The fan fest. The sign-mom. 2024. The plane ticket. The friction with Khan. It’s all a work. It always was a work. Now that’s established - MJF absolutely has no equal in this business of performance art. He had absolutely everyone eating out of the palm of his hand - not last night, since this all began. 

AEW originals going over the “ex WWE guys” is the ‘big arc’ they need.

P.s. — Punk is botching deliberately. Just so you guys know, you know?

I would kind of love if this turned into a larger angle where we get a faction of originals that take on the ex-WWE guys,  but it all would hinge on the ex-WWE guys being willing to do clean jobs to put over the AEW guys as their equals. Have MJF be the mouthpiece, and cutting "shoot" promos, then they'll need someone completely unexpected to come to his side. Page is probably the #1 draft pick. Then as time passes, the roster splits into two distinct sides and we get a PPV where we get a huge blowout. The trick will have to be that the AEW guys will start off as heels and become the babyfaces. It could be a huge money angle if they execute it correctly. 

• Like 3

Maybe I'm spending too much time enjoying this thread since migrating over from the Japan board because nobody talks about All Japan and I hate New Japan but: the hotter the debate becomes re: MJF work vs shoot and now Punk botching flips work vs shoot, the more I'm becoming convinced TK really has opened Russo's Box in terms of how quickly these kinds of shooty angles fuck everything up (also I guess it's Inoki's Box historically, right? Doesn't Hashimoto/Ogawa shoot bananas pre-date Russo playing with fire?)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

MJF talked about how he doesn’t drop people on their heads. His finishing move is a Piledriver. Like all the best heels, he is blatantly dishonest.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

MJF talked about how he doesn’t drop people on their heads. His finishing move is a Piledriver. Like all the best heels, he is blatantly dishonest.

Ah, but piledrivers don't ACTUALLY hurt because it's FAKE. Is the sad subtext there.

Sorry dude but ex-WWE v AEW "originals" would suck.

Moxley's been there since day one. What makes him a WWE guy? Who determines which guys are WWE guys? The roster is made up of about 70% performers that have been in WWE. Then do all WWE guys become heels? So now Punk, FTR, Mox, Danielson, Ruby, Toni, Athena are all just heels now?

Also how do you run this angle on part of the show, but ignore it in other parts of the show? A civil war inside the company like this just takes over and makes everything else secondary. It's like Survivor Series time in WWE with brand supremacy that makes no sense. Or the Invasion where dudes like X-Pac are now considered the baby even as a heel vs Kidman who was a baby that was considered a heel. Like FTR & Miro hated how they were used in WWE. But we have to force them to be WWE guys now?

The logic just doesn't track. I also hate them using "AEW originals" when talking about the Hangman & Punk story. That's a full on ripoff of TNA and it didn't work then and it won't work now. People want to like the people they think are awesome, not be told hey you're not supposed to like that guy now because he was employed somewhere else first.

I'm fine with MJF running with this story. As a heel. And getting his comeuppance. But if it extends beyond that it will implode and make the product a chore to slog through.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I really hope TK would be smart enough not to book the entire promotion around some sort of Originals vs. Ex-WWE storyline. There are interesting things they could do with MJF leading a one-man (or maybe a small revamped Pinnacle) crusade against some ex-WWE guys, but you don't need the rest of the company wrapped up in one storyline. The House of Black, BCC, Miro, and CM Punk (for now) are capable of carrying their own feuds and storylines outside of the MJF drama.

The AEW audience doesn't want to boo Jeff Hardy or Bryan Danielson or Jon Moxley right now, just like they don't watch to cheer Chris Jericho or Andrade or Shawn Spears. So what is there to gain, in any way, from trying to re-position your entire roster around one big angle when you can build PPVs that feature 5-7 different hot angles and storylines? 

That being said, I would blur the face/heel lines with MJF - one week he attacks a babyface like Dustin Rhodes, the next week its a heel like Bobby Fish.

There are a few ex-WWE guys that are right there to get beaten down and bloodied by MJF before we get another MJF match - Dustin Rhodes, Matt Sydal, hell, AEW has had random Impact folk show up so maybe make a big deal about Rhyno coming in for a guest match only for MJF to take him out as he's making his way down the aisle. Then, maybe his first real feud is Keith Lee/Swerve, who demand that Tony book MJF for an actual match after they tire of his sneak attacks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

MJF is gonna feel so silly when he realizes Shawn Spears was Tye Dillinger.

Also, good to see more of you around these parts @Belgian_Waffle. A fan of Orson Welles is a fan of mine. I was planning on getting more into All Japan and especially NOAH (Nakajima’s run was really fun for what I saw) but life is tough having the time right now.

Edited by Octopus
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DMJ said:

That being said, I would blur the face/heel lines with MJF - one week he attacks a babyface like Dustin Rhodes, the next week its a heel like Bobby Fish.

The only standout thing about MJF is his full-time commitment to being a chickenshit asshole heel. Otherwise, he's a talented guy on a roster of incredibly talented guys.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Octopus said:

MJF is gonna feel so silly when he realizes Shawn Spears was Tye Dillinger.

How do you think he'll feel when he finds out Cody Rhodes was Stardust?!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

How do you think he'll feel when he finds out Cody Rhodes was Stardust?!

It sounds like a silly thought (and probably is) but when I was watching last night, I actually wondered to myself if what we're getting with MJF right now was the planned next step for Cody's character had he not left. The only difference, I suppose, is that theoretically he would have been coming off of the mixed trios match instead of the Wardlow match, but given that it was barely addressed it still could have made sense.

Cody doing worked shoot promos on Tony Khan for paying "ex-WWE guys" more money than him? While he's 100% more of an ex-WWE guy than anyone else, since he had no prior indie experience or anything?

Yeah, maybe, but that feels like something he would have been doing if he was willing to be a heel, and not trying to cosplay as the love child of John Cena and Homelander.

47 minutes ago, JLowe said:

The only standout thing about MJF is his full-time commitment to being a chickenshit asshole heel. Otherwise, he's a talented guy on a roster of incredibly talented guys.

Ironically this truly old school approach (Bill Watts may not approve of the language but suspect Watts loves the commitment) feels so fresh.  The Miz is a great heel until he shows up on his reality show as this goofy Dad figure. 

I know MJF gets the Piper comparisons but wondering if he more a new age Hotstuff Eddie Gilbert clone. Gilbert as a heel was pure gold. 

Have to think last night's hot crowd in LA did not hurt AEW in front of the new bosses

Edited by chriskbrown50
  • Like 1